Another AIPA advice thread (1592)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verysupple

Supremely mediocre brewer
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm planning on brewing an American IPA next. This will be my second attempt at the style. The first was a great beer...but not an AIPA.

The proposed beer is called 1592 because it uses Columbus and Centennial hops - geddit, the centennial of Columbus discovering North America (even if he didn't - let's not get into that :p).

My first attempt had way too much Munich malt (20%) and not enough late hop punch so this time I'm ditching the 2-row - Munich blend and using my favourite base malt, Maris Otter, to keep it malty enough. I don't like my AIPAs super dry, I like there to be enough malt backbone to remind me it's beer and not hopped water, and I like a deep red colour.

So here's the recipe. Any advice welcome, particularly on the hop ammounts and timings.

Brew length: 22 L

Est. vital stats:
OG: 1.060
FG: 1.014
ABV: 6.3% (after bottle priming)
IBU: 59
EBC: 24

Grist:
% kg Name
83 4.19 Simpsons Maris Otter
5 0.25 CaraRed
1.2 0.06 JW Roast Barley
10 0.50 Briess CBW Pilsen DME

Mash at 66C

Hop bill:
g Name %AA min IBU
15 Columbus 16.3 60 33
5 Centennial 9.2 60 6
15 Columbus 16.3 10 7
15 Centennial 9.2 10 4
15 Columbus 16.3 5 6
15 Centennial 9.2 5 3
15 Columbus 16.3 0 0
20 Centennial 9.2 0 0
20 Columbus 16.3 dry 0
25 Centennial 9.2 dry 0

Fermentation:
US-05 or Wy1056 fermented at 18C

I'm not that big a fan of dry hopping and prefer the character of flame out/whirlpool additions, but don't seem to be able to get the big aroma from just a large flame out addition, although I've never used more than 40 g at FO for a ~22 L batch. Could I just add the dry hops at FO making one big 80 g addition or will I still blow off too much aroma during fermentation?

The couple of times I have dry hopped I used hop bags and wasn't very impressed with the amount of character gained. I bottle straight from the FV after CCing, so if I do decide to dry hop this, can I just dump the pellets in the FV and they'll drop out during CC? Or will I end up with debris in the bottles?

yes, you can dump the pellets into the FV, they sink eventually and just get added to the trub. i bottle like this too and never have any floaties after i CC for 4-5 days.

i've been given good advice to keep your 60 minute/bittering addition at about 1/3 of the entire IBU, and space out the remaining 2/3 from ~20 minutes and onwards. seems to have worked well so that there is a LOT of flavour and not so much a sharp bitterness. this is personal preference though but seems to work well for big flavoursome beers. so i'd look to change your 10 minute additions to really big ones and knock your 60 back to 1/3 total ibu. this should give you a massive flavour punch and some aroma too. i'd even get rid of your centennial 60 minute addition as it will be lost in the columbus (personal preference).

i can't give advice on your malt bill as i've never used roast barley or carared, however i've read caraaroma gives a better redness.

most of my IPA bills are - ale at 75-85%, munich or vienna at 10-15%, crystal at about 5-8ish% and a few tinkerings of others if i feel the need.

the best way though mate is to brew it, and tweak from there :)

I've always dry hopped in the FV, usually just as the beer is reaching FG. Leave them in a few days at fermentation temps, then cold crash. Most everything sinks to the bottom. Then I rack to a secondary on top of my bulk priming solution, which mixes it all in. Yet to have any hop debris in my bottles.

Hi verysupple,

Like Fletcher has advised on the hopping schedule (to my prefered tatse too) should be 1/3 bittering and the rest from your late hops, I too would get rid of the centennial at 60mins.

Crank up your 10,5 & 0 min additions and leave the 0mins addition for a 10min hopstand (give it a manual whirlpool after FO, add hops and let it rest :)) dont be shy with the dry hop, warm or cool after fermentation is done will get you a good aroma, adding to the 0 min addition. Id go 28g per hop for 4-5 days then cold crash to 4c for a few days before bottling, no worries about any debris.

On the colour, if your after a deep red, dont bother with Carared, its name is deceptive and we have all tried it. Use caraaroma, it will make her red/dark red with just a small % addition.

p.s the 1592 using centennial and columbus, clever!!

Thanks, guys.

Pratty1 said:
Hi verysupple,

Like Fletcher has advised on the hopping schedule (to my prefered tatse too) should be 1/3 bittering and the rest from your late hops, I too would get rid of the centennial at 60mins.

Crank up your 10,5 & 0 min additions and leave the 0mins addition for a 10min hopstand (give it a manual whirlpool after FO, add hops and let it rest :)) dont be shy with the dry hop, warm or cool after fermentation is done will get you a good aroma, adding to the 0 min addition. Id go 28g per hop for 4-5 days then cold crash to 4c for a few days before bottling, no worries about any debris.

On the colour, if your after a deep red, dont bother with Carared, its name is deceptive and we have all tried it. Use caraaroma, it will make her red/dark red with just a small % addition.

p.s the 1592 using centennial and columbus, clever!!
Yep, my 0 min additions get added at 80 deg C and stay in as I chill down to pitching temp, which takes me about 45 min. So that's basically a hop stand, right? If I throw them in immediately after FO when the wort is still >95C I shouldn't lose much in the way of aromatics but will gain a few IBUs before it drops below isomerisation temps (I put it in as a 1 min addition in my calcs). How's this look for the hop bill? It now follows the 1/3 IBUs at 60 min formula.

Hop bill: Total of 61 IBU
g Name %AA min IBU
10 Columbus 16.3 60 22
20 Columbus 16.3 10 10
20 Centennial 9.2 10 5
20 Columbus 16.3 5 8
20 Centennial 9.2 5 5
20 Columbus 16.3 1 7
20 Centennial 9.2 1 4
30 Columbus 16.3 dry 0
30 Centennial 9.2 dry 0

Yeah, I know CaraRed isn't actually very red. I'm using it as a light crystal for a touch of sweetness. The roast barley is for the red colour.

EDIT: FWIW the 5 g of Centennial at 60 min in the original was simply to bump up the total IBUs to 60. It used a total of 80 g of each hop as that's one of the amounts they get sold in at my LHBS. I have so many left overs of 5 g of this and 7 g of that in the freezer, I was just trying to avoid adding to that. I mean, what am I going to make with a pinch each of EKG, Perle, Cascade, Willamette, etc? That'd be one muddled, confused beer lacking any sense of identity.

verysupple said:
EDIT: FWIW the 5 g of Centennial at 60 min in the original was simply to bump up the total IBUs to 60. It used a total of 80 g of each hop as that's one of the amounts they get sold in at my LHBS. I have so many left overs of 5 g of this and 7 g of that in the freezer, I was just trying to avoid adding to that. I mean, what am I going to make with a pinch each of EKG, Perle, Cascade, Willamette, etc? That'd be one muddled, confused beer lacking any sense of identity.
haha yeah i know the feeling. make a really plain pale ale with a neutral bittering hop and dump them all in as a hop fruit salad addition at about 20 minutes and see what comes of it :) i'm sure i've read other threads about other uses for hops too. breads and such.

the hop additions look good. if you had that extra 5gm or whatever of centennial then chuck it in with your 10 min or 5 min addition.

fletcher said:
haha yeah i know the feeling. make a really plain pale ale with a neutral bittering hop and dump them all in as a hop fruit salad addition at about 20 minutes and see what comes of it :) i'm sure i've read other threads about other uses for hops too. breads and such.

the hop additions look good. if you had that extra 5gm or whatever of centennial then chuck it in with your 10 min or 5 min addition.
Haha, yeah, if I did that I'd call it sobrantes biero which is Esperanto (international language) for "leftovers beer".

Latest posts

Back