An AFD how hard is it?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bum said:
Does anyone truly believe that alcohol is the only, or even best, way to get these benefits?
Where in the article does it say that? I must have missed it.

bum said:
Also, I hate it when people make arguments like that following "Well, if you don’t drink, you miss out on the health benefits of alcohol, particularly if you’re older: as the NHMRC explains in its guidelines, light to moderate drinking (up to two standard drinks) has been shown to reduce cardiovascular risk, improve bone density and..." (cut off the last bit because it is atrocious and hypocritical writing). Does anyone truly believe that alcohol is the only, or even best, way to get these benefits?
That's what he said.

Moderate alcohol intake has confirmed cardiovascular health benefits. It's bullshit to say "Alcohol is good for you!" but it's a fact that it has at least one health benefit, in moderation. I agree that non-drinkers shouldn't be pressured into drinking for health reasons, but he's not WRONG in what he says.

Of course, if you have liver disease, etc etc then the negatives are going to outweigh any positives.

he was cherry picking sources, sure, but nowhere did he say or imply that it was the only or best way to get said benefits..

bum said:
What a hideously biased pile shit that is. I couldn't even finish reading it. It supports some of my life choices and it was so poorly written that I want to argue with him.
Poorly written or factually incorrect?

Most (all) opinion based writing is biased and backed up with 'facts' and statistics to support the writer's argument - read any Andrew Bolt article for example.

I didn't see the article as particularly better or worse than many others from either perspective but if you're going to pull it apart objectively, you need to take the presented 'facts' and dispute them. Badly written is not wrongly written.

What is incorrect within the article (or noticeably absent that is factual and in direct conflict )?

Liam_snorkel said:
he was cherry picking sources, sure, but nowhere did he say or imply that it was the only or best way to get said benefits..
Sure he did. Right in the bit I bolded. That's what those words mean.

manticle said:
Most (all) opinion based writing is biased and backed up with 'facts' and statistics to support the writer's argument - read any Andrew Bolt article for example.
One would hope that if I stated an opinion that Bolt is a terrible writer and I didn't want to read the bile that leaks out of the ends of his fingers that you wouldn't jump into such a spirited defense.

manticle said:
I didn't see the article as particularly better or worse than many others from either perspective but if you're going to pull it apart objectively, you need to take the presented 'facts' and dispute them.
I'm not sure I was trying to be objective - I'm not even sure what may have given you that impression. The word "shit" rarely appears in critical analysis. Plus no I don't have to do that at all. I can just say the stuff that I think and that because I'm not a journalist - editorial or no.

manticle said:
What is incorrect within the article (or noticeably absent that is factual and in direct conflict )?
I don't think I said anything was incorrect. I just said stuff was shit and that I hated it.

Wasn't that spirited.

Andrew Bolt is more amusing than the cartoons in the paper.

I drink every night after work, usually just a couple of glasses. I think I would probably drink less if I kegged though. When I open a 750ml bottle, I have to drink the whole thing or it will go flat overnight. There's two glasses in that, so if I want a third glass, then I have to have four.

I think if I kegged I might only have one or two...then again, probably not...

I find AFD's very easy. I haven't had a drink since last Saturday. Got a new 6 pack of White Rabbit Dark Ale in the fridge and not really tempted to try one. I Might crack one just to see how it's drinking these days. But I'm not hanging for a drink.

I Made a bet to race some mates around The Bay Run a few months ago. That day I vowed not to have a drink until race day. I ran a few times a week and walked everywhere. A month of AFD's and all that exercise and I dropped about 15kg. I highly recommend it to anyone.

BTW I hurt my back playing basketball the night before race day, so we never did race. But my pants are a lot looser now.

I can't remember my last AFD, it's quite sad and I might have to have one today just to be sure that I still can do it.

kegs are goth a danger and a godsend, I find myself pouring little half-glasses just for the taste, so consumption is as easy as grabbing a glass, but each drink is not as big as a full bottle.

Sunday's are a AFD for me....but not today. It's game day. GO THE TIGES!!!

I limit my drinking to an amount that doesn't make me feel any different in the morning to an AFD.

And once or twice a month I overdo it.

This is the way I've done it for the last ten years ... the ten years before that I pretty much treated my body like a landfill with all manner of rubbish.

When playing a doctor on the internet, I like to advise my patience that my body will tell me when I'm breaking it. Hangovers are there to tell you you're ******* it up.

I thought that hangovers were to remind you of how great you feel the rest of the time...

That reminds me of a famous quote from Frank Sinatra

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.”

Latest posts

Back