An AFD how hard is it?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oakers said:
Yeah. I too have struggled to get many AFDs in since I took up AG brewing six months ago. I only usually have a single 500ml bottle, maybe a couple Fridays and Saturdays. I'm actually a pretty fit guy and try to eat well. I haven't noticed any real impact on my weight but I still worry that I don't get in enough AFDs. As you guys will know it's the pure enjoyment of drinking something you created. I wonder what's the long term impact on the body of this sort of moderate drinking. If you drink moderately like this do you really need AFDs? Anybody out there with medical training or perhaps knows the research evidence would like to comment?
Ideally 2 consecutive days to give your liver a break.Should also limit to @4 standard drinks for men ,2 for the ladies. I find it easy to go over the 4 however, but usually have 3-4 afd's per week, as my grandma said, a little of a lot.

This is the reason I keep my beer in the garage, out of the fridge (unless it is screaming hot outside then it goes into the fridge with the stc set at ~18). If there is one (or six) in the fridge I will drink. If I have to wait for them to get cold then I don't bother. I put a few in the fridge on friday morning and a few on saturday for those evenings and that is generally it.

Usually got heaps on uni work to do most nights so drinking leads to procrastination and in my course procrastination = fail.

I try to have 3/4 AFDs a week too. Don't want to blow the liver too early, it's a marathon not a sprint!

You could always try making something sessionable for in the week, low ABV, might help a bit.

But YYR, Caution! Drinking is a possible side-effect of brewing.

I've recently made a conscious decision to have 3 AFD's per week. I still do kits and bits at this stage and I keg. While I wasn't getting pissed every night, I found myself cooking dinner for the family then putting mine in the oven because "I wasn't ready for dinner yet". Suddenly found myself not eating until 10-10:30 most nights.

Nothing in particular made me change, but I just thought I'm a bit overweight and a bit of liver problem history in the family so maybe a few nights off the grog won't hurt. Being going about a month now and must admit the first week I found myself really missing that beer when I get home, but the next week I'd done the three days without thinking about it. It is nice to all sit down at the dinner table together and have that bit of family time. Also, my two boys always want to drink what dad's drinking, and, on those nights, I drink water. So they sit down with their 'beers' and drink water, which doesn't hurt either.

However, a mate came around last weekend so force-carbed a keg of Galaxy Pale Ale for us to sample (I usually carb up at serving pressure) and it is beautiful. I had a few Monday night so had Tue/Wed/Thu off and have been hankering 'til Friday to have a few pints while watching the footy. Guess what today is people :beerbang:

Put three taps in your lounge room and then see how hard it is...

mikec said:
Put three taps in your lounge room and then see how hard it is...
This is one reason I have not started kegging.

Yep 4 taps in the dining room made it difficult for a while there, there they are winking at me everytime I walk between the lounge and the kitchen. After a few months the novelty wore off somewhat and i went back to Monday - Thursdays being alcohol free. I find going to the gym / for a run / cycle / surf etc after work helps a lot. For some reason when my body is tired, sore, puffed out etc I crave water and fruit and having a beer just feels wrong.

If a beer a day is good for you I must be in fantastic condition!! :lol:

Depending on what time of the year it is for me, my work is seasonal (Sept - March is busy for us but the rest of the year is quiet) so the start of the year I am a 5 day a week kind of drinker but most of the year I'm mainly Friday/Saturday kind of thing.

Though I still stand by my theory that I would rather get paid to have a hangover than ruin a perfectly good weekend with one ;)

I have found myself on some occasions just grabbing a small dimple glass and just do some sampling off a tap.

I wasn't able to do that when bottling (as someone has already mentioned) and would 'have' to finish 750mL instead of the little ~200mL sample. Granted it is quite easy to go back for another 3-4, but even then, it still adds up to the same as a tallie.

sponge said:
I have found myself on some occasions just grabbing a small dimple glass and just do some sampling off a tap.

I wasn't able to do that when bottling (as someone has already mentioned) and would 'have' to finish 750mL instead of the little ~200mL sample. Granted it is quite easy to go back for another 3-4, but even then, it still adds up to the same as a tallie.
I have done the same at times, small 330mL glass kind of thing

I have at least one AFD a week. Usually Tuesday. 2-3 beers max for other weeknights. Plan for 3-4 on Sat and Sun, but sometimes go over. Never by much.I walk 4km per day Mon-Fri, and 7km Sat and Sun.

Expanding waistline is calling for reduction in consumption however. :rolleyes:

I am glad this issue has not been made fun of too much, as it's something we all need to take seriously while enjoying our beer. B)

Isn't it funny how things we call hobbies we always seem to get into strife for doing too much, even some of my gym junkie mates do the same, they have to "take a break" and give the body a rest from it all for a while...isn't this just the same?

Phillo said:
I have at least one AFD a week. Usually Tuesday. 2-3 beers max for other weeknights. Plan for 3-4 on Sat and Sun, but sometimes go over. Never by much.I walk 4km per day Mon-Fri, and 7km Sat and Sun.

Expanding waistline is calling for reduction in consumption however. :rolleyes:

I am glad this issue has not been made fun of too much, as it's something we all need to take seriously while enjoying our beer. B)
Hey Phillo

Pretty much thinking the same thing. Plus there is plenty of good ideas going around and some advice to.

I like hsb's analogy re sprints and marathons.

And I have read what seamad says about more than 4 standard drinks a day being bad for your long term health.
A midstrength beer (3.8 - 4%) packed full of flavours should help in keeping below this target.

I never had this issue when I drank the usual suspects, Cascade Premium, Crown Lager or Boags Draught.

What a hideously biased pile shit that is. I couldn't even finish reading it. It supports some of my life choices and it was so poorly written that I want to argue with him.

Also, I hate it when people make arguments like that following "Well, if you don’t drink, you miss out on the health benefits of alcohol, particularly if you’re older: as the NHMRC explains in its guidelines, light to moderate drinking (up to two standard drinks) has been shown to reduce cardiovascular risk, improve bone density and..." (cut off the last bit because it is atrocious and hypocritical writing). Does anyone truly believe that alcohol is the only, or even best, way to get these benefits?

VonScott said:
And I have read what seamad says about more than 4 standard drinks a day being bad for your long term health.
A midstrength beer (3.8 - 4%) packed full of flavours should help in keeping below this target.
This is another good strategy. Every second beer I brew is a midstrength APA, mash high and fair whack of late hops. Means I'm not blotto if I smash 10 on a Friday night, and still super enjoyable.

I have half afd's every day. Normally in the morning - but every now and then I like to trick myself and make the second half the half afd.

bum said:
What a hideously biased pile shit that is. I couldn't even finish reading it. It supports some of my life choices and it was so poorly written that I want to argue with him.
Well I don't pretend to be a scientist, but it seems like he provided sources for what he claimed? I dunno that it's "bias", he clearly states from the beginning that he disagrees with the anti-drinking crowd, not like he's trying to hide the fact.

Back