American Style Wheat Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrumpy

Reaction score
I've done a search on here for threads about American Wheat beers, cant find too much.

I was wondering if anybody has any recipies for this style they are happy with? I'm aware of the criteria for this style

ie: about 20-30 IBU's, neutral american ale yeast, citrus hops........

I've put together a recipe put together based around Widmer Hefeweizen outa "brewing with wheat"

Its a bit of a stab in the dark as the book doesn't state the percentages of the grist or the hopping schedule.

I also have not tried an example of this beer so any help would be appreciated.

60% Wheat

40% Pale malt

30 IBU Willamette bittering, Cascade flavour and aroma

going to ferment with 1056 (american Ale)

oh OG 1.047

Id personally drop back to something more like 20-25ibu. But I guess it depends what you are after.

Brewed one on the weekend it was

og 1049
est fg 1010
ibu 13

srm light

50% pils
50% wheat

Amarillo 60min
Amarillo 0 min

about 1.5 grams per litre for flame out

us 05

cant comment but I no the wife is going to love it

mash at 66deg

its bloody light

My mate trent won bitter and twisted with 100% wheat so dont be sacared and use some hulls.

savy

I'll echo my recipe in the thread Jye links to and definitely suggest using Wyeast 1010 American Wheat. It's a lovely yeast.

Ok folks!!

just ordered the grain for this puppy gonna brew on sat!!

went with the following,

OG 1.048

60% JW Ale malt
40% Wey Wheat

Galaxy 60min
Citra 10min

gonna bitter to 20ish IBU and ferment with 1056.

I know its pretty diff to the widmer idea but it seems to be a pretty broad style, so if im gonna make a yanky beer i might aswell make it a citrusy one :beer: :beer: :beer:

I just brewed a 20% wheat pale ale (I don't know what category it should be in). I wanted to try doing a beer in a week from grain to glass and it turned out pretty good -- a refreshing summer style ale. I used nottingham yeast because it clears fast, not that that matters with all the proteins in suspension from the wheat though.

1056 seems to be the most popular yeast local brewers use around here, but that's based on the few times I've asked. It would be perfect in an american wheat beer.

Here's the hefeweizen link from Widmer giving some specs
Widmer hef

Here's a clone thread I found that may give you some ideas...
Widmere hef clone
If you do a search on the homebrewtalk website more results will come up, although this looked like a good one...

Good luck!

I made one recently that could be classified as American Wheat:

23L batch:

2kg Weyermanns wheat
2kg Weyermanns Vienna
.7kg Amber
.2 Carapils
.1 Carafa

Hops:

15g Citra at 60m
15g Amarillo at 60m
15g Amarillo, 15g Citra, 15g EKG at 15 minutes
Dry hopped with leftover bits of Amarillo, Citra, EKG and Saaz

Nottingham Yeast

Still in fermenter for secondary, but smells excellent.

Goomba

I'll echo my recipe in the thread Jye links to and definitely suggest using Wyeast 1010 American Wheat. It's a lovely yeast.

Kai what temp did you ferment at for that beer using wy1010 ?

Do you guys filter or clear it out or is the style haze

sav

Kai what temp did you ferment at for that beer using wy1010 ?

It was a while ago, at the time I think I struggled with cooling but kept it in the low 20's.

Latest posts

Back