American Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

levin_ae92

Reaction score
Hi All, been playing around with Ian's K&E Recipe maker and have decided on a recipe for an American IPA, just thought I'd chuck it up and see what people think of it!

1x 1.7kg Coopers Real Ale Kit
1x 1.5kg Pale LME
1x Coopers BE2
17g Cascade @ 30 mins
17g Cascade @ 10 mins
1x Safale US-05

Made Up To 21L

Predicts
40 IBU
17.7 EBC
OG 1.065
FG1.014
7% ABV

That sounds similar to something Asher advised me on but without the BE2 and using Galaxy.

I haven't made it yet but mine too will be an American IPA so I think it should be ok.

A late hop about a week into primary will give you some good aroma.

Yeah was thinking about dropping the BE2 and just making an APA, as the dextrose will just thin it out a bit. Was just going to do the best with what I've got at home at the minute. Maybe i'll drop the BE2, make an APA, then go out after I get paid and get some DME to replace the BE2..

Personally i would lower the ABV as you will get too much "heat" from the alcohol which will overshadow the rest of the beer. make it between 5 and 6% i reckon. Also i would ditch the can of isohopped goo and just use two tins of pale LME, with maybe 300-500g of dex/BE2 or whatever. You will then need to bitter it with the real hops which will make it a million times better.

So something like;

2x 1.5kg tins of LME (pale)
300-500g dextrose or BE2 or whatever powdered fermentables you have handy
Use the cascade but use heaps more of it, do like 20g for 60 min, 20g for 30 min and a big late hit of 40g at the 5 min mark. Just guessing here but you can do the sums and aim for 40-60IBU as your taste buds dictate.

just FYI, here is the base i use for my pales, it's exactly what i have described above and holds perfect head, had good mouthfeel and isn't too 'thin'. The hops in the thread are different but the base is a cracker. Trust me i've done a million kits but this base, with fresh real hops, kills them all hands down. It actually tastes like a proper craft-brewed beer, you will be able to tell the difference using fresh hops versus the isohopped kit.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=35657

Latest posts

Back