American India Pale Ale (aipa) Help Please!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Righto.

Slight change of plan. Here's what i'm now thinking doing. As per Nick's suggestions.....

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: AIPA
Brewer: Nathan Creedy
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: Hopefully pretty fucken' tasty....

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 29.96 l
Post Boil Volume: 24.96 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 l
Bottling Volume: 20.50 l
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 8.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 65.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 85.7 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (3.0 SR Grain 1 86.6 %
0.50 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 2 8.7 %
0.27 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.8 %
56.00 g Cascade [5.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 32.4 IBUs
26.00 g Galaxy [12.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 32.5 IBUs
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 mins) Fining 6 -
1.0 pkg SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05)Yeast 7 -
10.00 g Cascade [5.60 %] - Dry Hop 1.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
10.00 g Galaxy [12.10 %] - Dry Hop 1.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.77 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 25.57 l of water at 69.3 C 65.0 C 60 min
Mash Out Add -0.00 l of water and heat to 78.0 C 78.0 C 10 min

Sparge with 8-10lt's at 78.0C

Remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How's this look??

Righto.

How's this look??

Looks good. And you have another 100g of hops.

I'd still do the cube-hop version to see which you prefer- they both have their upsides. A thinkg to consider though is commercial IPAs always contain a lot of 60 minute IBUs.

Looks good. And you have another 100g of hops.

I'd still do the cube-hop version to see which you prefer- they both have their upsides. A thinkg to consider though is commercial IPAs always contain a lot of 60 minute IBUs.

Done.

Will brew exactly as above. Cheers for the idea Nick.

thanks to all for their help. Will end up brewing both at some stage (above will be brewed either today or tomorrow) and will report back with findings..

Cheers all,

Nath

That looks bloody tasty.

Regarding colour, you can always cold steep the choc ( 1:4 choc: water) the night before then add the liquid bit at a time with ten minutes to go until happy with the colour, doesnt add much in the way of flavour.

Hiya

Its all about the dry hoping ... get tons in there.

Whats the BU from the first edition, with that amount of Hops in late I reckon its kinda not needed ...

Scotty

So just a bittering addition and shedload of dry hops you say, Scotty?

Would replacing the 60min addition with say a FWH addition help with a little added flavour, without the late boil hops?

That looks bloody tasty.

Regarding colour, you can always cold steep the choc ( 1:4 choc: water) the night before then add the liquid bit at a time with ten minutes to go until happy with the colour, doesnt add much in the way of flavour.

+1 sounds pretty good to me!! Galaxy always compliments cascade well.... :icon_drool2: and I was only questioning about the cube additions as I have been considering cubing in summer as it gets hard to chill down to the required temps to pitch......

Chuck mine in the pool in summer. Gets it down to pitch temps pretty quick.
Done about ten brews with my hop rocket and plate chiller now, gives quite a different flavour to my nochill beers. Hard to describe but the nochilled beers seem to have more of a amalgamated flavour, rocket beers seem to have a more layered flavour profile, if that makes sense. Will continue to nochill some beers like english bitters, porters etc.
Sorry for going OT?

Chuck mine in the pool in summer. Gets it down to pitch temps pretty quick.
Done about ten brews with my hop rocket and plate chiller now, gives quite a different flavour to my nochill beers. Hard to describe but the nochilled beers seem to have more of a amalgamated flavour, rocket beers seem to have a more layered flavour profile, if that makes sense. Will continue to nochill some beers like english bitters, porters etc.
Sorry for going OT?

Not really OT. I get the same thing.

Been doing a lot of bittering-only beers lately as I reckon it's the way to make a beer malty without making it malty if that makes sense, and it's lead me on to "leaving a malt hole" in the beer - ales especially - to get that layered thing you mention, but with the malt in the middle. Hard to explain.

Un flavoured bitterness to balance the malty sweet ... with hop aroma on top. The nose does most of the "tasting" except for bitterness.

With nochill hopped beers I just get hops smeared all over the beer. It can smudge the maltiness. Maybe for an IIPA it works but I want to taste malt in my beers as much as hops. And not just the spec malts, but the base malt too. It's not mad to leave a "malt gap" is it?

So just a bittering addition and shedload of dry hops you say, Scotty?

Would replacing the 60min addition with say a FWH addition help with a little added flavour, without the late boil hops?

Moreso be careful. At the plant we get between 30 and 70% of bitterness from the whirlpool, the wort pack would be similar I have no doubt. Before I looked atthis my Pale ale was supposed to be 40BU, but was 70 ... the beer was so out of balance.

Back