American Amber Ale - Where Does It Fit In?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpsmusic

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Just curious where an American Amber Ale (like JSAA) fits in according to the AABC guidelines? Is it classed as a brown ale?

Cheers,

Chris

I would put Malt shovel amber more as a english ale rather then american amber, American Amber still does not have its own catergory with the aabc guidelines but can be put into specialty. Currently talk about introducing american amber into the aabc guidelines but does not look like it will happen this year, more then likely next year though from what I gather.

We always had an Amber category in the BABBs mini comps - the likes of Jamil etc rave about it in the USA but it never seemed to have sparked in Australia for some reason. I far prefer it to APA - richer and sweeter and smoother :icon_drunk:
First time I ever used American hops was with an amber a couple of years ago and I couldn't believe I had actually brewed something that good (it was about my 5th AG)

Looks like a campaign required to have American Amber added to AABC.

'10B. American Amber Ale

Aroma: Low to moderate hop aroma from dry hopping or late kettle additions of American hop varieties. A citrusy hop character is common, but not required. Moderately low to moderately high maltiness balances and sometimes masks the hop presentation, and usually shows a moderate caramel character. Esters vary from moderate to none. No diacetyl.

Appearance: Amber to coppery brown in color. Moderately large off-white head with good retention. Generally quite clear, although dry-hopped versions may be slightly hazy.

Flavor: Moderate to high hop flavor from American hop varieties, which often but not always has a citrusy quality. Malt flavors are moderate to strong, and usually show an initial malty sweetness followed by a moderate caramel flavor (and sometimes other character malts in lesser amounts). Malt and hop bitterness are usually balanced and mutually supportive. Fruity esters can be moderate to none. Caramel sweetness and hop flavor/bitterness can linger somewhat into the medium to full finish. No diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Medium to medium-full body. Carbonation moderate to high. Overall smooth finish without astringency often associated with high hopping rates. Stronger versions may have a slight alcohol warmth.

Overall Impression: Like an American pale ale with more body, more caramel richness, and a balance more towards malt than hops (although hop rates can be significant).

History: Known simply as Red Ales in some regions, these beers were popularized in the hop-loving Northern California and the Pacific Northwest areas before spreading nationwide.

Comments: Can overlap in color with American pale ales. However, American amber ales differ from American pale ales not only by being usually darker in color, but also by having more caramel flavor, more body, and usually being balanced more evenly between malt and bitterness. Should not have a strong chocolate or roast character that might suggest an American brown ale (although small amounts are OK).

Ingredients: Pale ale malt, typically American two-row. Medium to dark crystal malts. May also contain specialty grains which add additional character and uniqueness. American hops, often with citrusy flavors, are common but others may also be used. Water can vary in sulfate and carbonate content.
Vital Statistics:
OG FG IBUs SRM ABV
1.045 - 1.060 1.010 - 1.015 25 - 40+ 10 - 17 4.5 - 6%

Commercial Examples: Mendocino Red Tail Ale, North Coast Red Seal Ale, St. Rogue Red Ale, Avery Redpoint Ale, Anderson Valley Boont Amber Ale, Bell's Amber, Hoptown Paint the Town Red, McNeill's Firehouse Amber Ale
Return to top'

Just bottled my entry of an American Amber Ale for QABC into the specialty class. Hopefully if enough people enter, the style will be reinstated for AABC next year or so.

Just bottled my entry of an American Amber Ale for QABC into the specialty class. Hopefully if enough people enter, the style will be reinstated for AABC next year or so.

how did you go with that one Argon? Recipe?

how did you go with that one Argon? Recipe?
Yeah mate I ended up getting 40 points at QABC and went through to AABC. Each time the no1 Amber Ale (as it was the only one)

The recipe is in this link, second brew of the day. Originally called it an Brown, but came out Amber in colour.

Was very happy and rebrewed it with some tweaks. Should of left it as is. Much better the first time.

I heard along the grape vine (Victorian representative) that AAA will be passed into the AABC guidelines this year. How much it changes from the BJCP guidelines only time will tell.

Unfortunately the AAA style currently falls somewhere between an overtly caramel APA with a balanced/supporting hop profile and a American Brown that lacks malt complexity/darker malt characteristics.

Entering a world class example of an AAA that currently fits the BJCP style guide into either of the sub-categories mentioned above will yield an average score for being out of style/lacking qualities in most instances.

I judged the Brown Ales at VICBREW 2011 and there were a few American Amber like beers in the American brown cat. Awesome beers but just didn't fit the style guidelines for obvious reasons as an American Brown.

Yeah mate I ended up getting 40 points at QABC and went through to AABC. Each time the no1 Amber Ale (as it was the only one)
The recipe is in this link, second brew of the day. Originally called it an Brown, but came out Amber in colour.
Was very happy and rebrewed it with some tweaks. Should of left it as is. Much better the first time.

Hey Argon, a great example of a simple west-coast* AAA grain bill. Big hit of Crystal, simple malt and hops hops hops! I've so got to start using some darker crystals me thinks! B)

*WC typically means it will be hoppier than BJCP notes. I've got a bottle of Green Flash - Hop Head Red I'm going to get into me tonight after all this AAA discussion. Hoppy, IPA like red ales are the bomb! Definitely on the brewing cards.

I judged that beer, correctly entered in the specialty class as per the BJCP suggestion that it can be used for 'new' styles or those not in the other categories.
Without an actual class we grabbed the BJCP style guideline for AAA and used that.

Damn nice beer it was too...

Thanks guys. Was very happy with how this beer turned out. The aim was certainly to make it a west coast example. It was based on the CYBI attempt at Stone's Arrogant *******, only with different hops (reputably they use 100% chinook). I had only named it a Brown as that's where the specs appeared to hit in beersmith. On tasting though it was definitely an Amber.

I think the secret in keeping it a simple grain bill was using such a complex crystal as Spec B. They say caraaroma could be subbed, but I don't get the complexity... Spec B gives me some roast, very very light smoke and bold dark caramel. Next amber I make I'll be using 90% Golden promise and 10% Spec B to give it a light nuttiness and bread from the base malt.

@ben that sample I gave you at BABBs was the rebrew, enjoyable, but a poor imitation.

Latest posts

Back