Amber Ale - Suggestions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zaphod

Reaction score
Hi All,

After a break of about 4 years from brewing I've dusted off the fermenters and put a couple through - a Coopers Ginger beer (artifical sweetness - disappointed), Coopers Lager (in secondary on my tile floor in the laundry) and a Stout in the primary.

I have the following:

1X Can Morgans Royal Oak Amber Ale
1X Can Amber LME - 1Kg
200g Crystal grains
1 teabag Pride of Ringwood hops

In the past I've boiled the Morgans and light malt, steeped the grains for 20 min and added the liquid towards the end of the boil. Never added hops before and never used liquid amber malt.

Any suggestions to this brew? Use the hops for the last 10-15 min for flavour and aroma? Dry hop in the fermenter?

My Stout is:
1X Blue Mountains HBS Stout - 1.7Kg
1X Stout pack - 300g light dry malt, 500g dark dry malt, 200g maltodextrin

Boiled 60min, cooled and added to the fermenter - total capacity of 15ltrs.

Fermented wildly for 3 days then went still - about to bottle after 10 days being still.
No idea re SG / FG - dropped my hydrometer (bugger).
Going to prime the bottles with 90g sugar and not the full 180g.

Looking forward to tasting this one!

Thanks
Zaphod
Prepared to don my "peril-sensitive" sunglasses :)

From what I've read POR isn't really for flavour or aroma, just bittering.

But then, I've never actually used it so I'm not too sure.

1X Can Morgans Royal Oak Amber Ale
1X Can Amber LME - 1Kg
200g Crystal grains
1 teabag Pride of Ringwood hops

I've got pretty much exactly the same maturing in bottles right now. I used Fuggles instead of POR, 1.5kg of Amber LME and I used Safale S-04 which I started like this.

I didn't do any boiling and this brew was tasting like a real winner straight from the fermenter. I can't wait to drink the completed beer! :chug:

Ive done the morgans amber ale a few times a while back....I didnt boil anything....I think I used one of those teabags of hops with fuggles in it a few times. I used the can and a bag of stuff from LHBS (malt, dextrose and corn syrup) made up to about a kilo. It was bloody good.

Heres a few ideas:

http://www.hbkitreviews.com/view-id-4-morg...-amber-ale.html

Cheers
Steve

I've done it once before as well and it's an excellent brew. I didn't bother boiling the malt and used 20g fuggles pellets steeped in boiling water for 15 minutes. I think the fuggles is more in line with the style than POR but it depends on your taste. If you like it more bitter then have a go with the POR.

Another vote for swapping the POR for some Fuggles or even Goldings. Have used POR for flavour and dryhopping in the past, wont be doing that again.

i have one of these as well but i used SIMCOE 40g dry very bl**dy nice best kits and kilos ever done

tc

Latest posts

Back