Amarillo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QldKev

Brew Dude
Reaction score
Has anyone got their hands on the latest crop of Amarillo. With last years 6.9% crop being poor, I'm hanging out to see how this seasons crop is.

If you have tried it post your feedback here

QldKev

We need a section/post thread on hops, grains, etc.

Like a database of how they are, what they taste/aroma like, what they work with, all that sort of jazz.

It's one of those rare ideas that could make AHB even more of a resource. The number of newer members (and brewers) who are saying "this forum is so full of good information, it's incredible", is gratifying for all those that have been here for a long time (not me, others) who have shared so much information to make this literally the best source of brewing information on the internets.

Goomba

I agree Goomba.

There should be a thread for each type of Yeast/Hop/Malt with fairly strict on topic rules. And if anyone makes a duplicate thread it should be merged into the existing one.

I know theres resources out there but some kind of cross reference to 'similar' hops. Ie "A" makes a good substitution to "B" if "B" is unavailable.

Might be a lot of work to set up/look after though? (work for the admin etc) Other than that, i'm in favour. I wonder when the harvesting of all the 2011 hops will begin in the US? I'll be looking at bulk buy of the usual suspects, and it would be really nice to hear what the specific varieties are like this year (as per OP).

I haven't come across a good substitute for amarillo. In fact even amarillo doesn't substititute for amarillo! I hope this years season is good. I was gifted a small bag of 2008 amarillo a few weeks ago, the golden ale i made from it was the abnsolute bomb, i miss that amarillo goodness.

I know theres resources out there but some kind of cross reference to 'similar' hops. Ie "A" makes a good substitution to "B" if "B" is unavailable.

I wonder when the harvesting of all the 2011 hops will begin in the US?

Pretty sure the harvest is done and dusted. Leaf hops have been released on Hopsdirect (and some sold out in a flash). The pellets are not far away now.

Back to the topic at hand:

Has anyone got their hands on the latest crop of Amarillo. With last years 6.9% crop being poor, I'm hanging out to see how this seasons crop is.

If you have tried it post your feedback here

QldKev

2010 crop was 9.3% AA

2011 crop is 10.1% AA. The first bulk lot are still undivided and won't hit HBS for a while. Apparently, no feedback available as nobody has used it in Australia yet. Reports from the US are that it's nice and clean and no major flavour changes, just the higher AA.

Hope this helps,
Martin

That was leaf, hopefully pellets are a bit more available!
Um, where do you think pellets come from?? ;)

According to Jeff this season is also poor - down 40 or 60 percent or so. Seemed to infer only one farm grows it which probably doesn't help.

Um, where do you think pellets come from?? ;)

According to Jeff this season is also poor - down 40 or 60 percent or so. Seemed to infer only one farm grows it which probably doesn't help.
My understanding was that some get sold as leaf and some are sent to pellet making land, which then become available later on.
Or at least that's how I'm going to get sleep tonight.

My understanding was that some get sold as leaf and some are sent to pellet making land, which then become available later on.

I was under the same impression too.

Sure, but if the leaf is in short supply surely by logical extension the pellet supply will be too. I assume (happy to be corrected) most commercial breweries use leaf so they'd reduce the pellet supply further to try and get more leaf to fulfil their contracts? Pure speculation here on my part but makes sense to me :chug:

what an interesting hop. I had written it off after how JSGA had changed over the past few years...

Lovely fruit aroma. I'm getting banana and something else off the flavour.... and in reading a previous post, someone hit it on the head.... rockmellon!

I like. Which is not a good sign for James Squire's.

EDIT: drinking a freshly kegged Dr. Smurto's JSGA clone, which turned out a little too much alc, and bitter, and a little too dry.

Latest posts

Back