Aluminium Beer Bottles - Soon To Reach Our Shores

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppingMad

Ein Stein
Reaction score
Look out, here comes the latest marketing gimmickry.

Apparently a beer by a boutique brewery called Frost is soon to be launched in Sydney if you believe the article below. A low carb beer packaged in an aluminium bottle. Never heard of Frost Brewery. Anyone tried a beer by these guys?

Article

The yanks have been tinkering with these things for a while. Think Anheuser Busch (Budweiser etc) had some beers in these containers back in 2004.
Over there the jury seems to be out on whether aluminium bottles are any good - here's what one researcher has had to say:

Research Summary

Recall a post last year about some homebrewers looking into a bulk purchase of some of these bottles by way of experiment (might have been TrevC? Can't remember). Looks like Frost stole your idea guys!

Hopper.

Aluminium bottles are not really that new of an idea. The main idea behind them is to have bottled beer sold at large events where glass is not allowed... remember TED in plastic stubbies?

Bottles of other materials are preferred to cans, especially for breweries without canning equipment. The troubles have been designing a plastic/aluminium container that is able to be filled and handled in the same or similar fashion as the glass bottles, without expensive upgrading/retrofitting of the packaging plant.

I personally like the idea of aluminium bottles- though that could be mostly to do with my 2L asahi can I put HB into!

They had crown larger in aluminium stubbies at the golf at huntingdale this year,couldn't find out if they were going to be an on going thing or just for sports events,Irecon they would be great for homebrew if the inside coating stood up,looked like a laquer[same as cans]could have been anodised but from what I could see in the neck I think laquered
Russ

I'll stick with my crown-seal longnecks, thanks.

No good for me, the way I clunk and bump around, by the time I finished with them a 750ml would be 330ml.

They have the Crown larger ones on airplanes, and i also saw them at the big day out this year... they are rubbish.

Cheers Vice

Interesting idea, but not really new.
If memory serves me {and it usually does :) } the topic was on Grumpy`s Forum at least a couple of years ago.
God that was a great Beer Forum.........the bunfights, the tears and jeers and cheers, the blokes that were banned trying desperately to sneak back in under another name and getting shown the door again :lol: , it had a bit of everything.
Ah well......things change.
{sniff}

stagga.

Make great ash trays on those big drinking nights.Yep had some on the plane and kept them , If I save enough I can take them to the scrappy and buy my next plane trip.Better than throwing glass in the recycle bin for free.Glass is coming to the end of its transport and storage life.Glass takes up more room and costs more to transport. Get use to Alli containers!
GB

I don't drink beer from a can,a can shaped like a bottle? don't think so <_<

Batz

I personally like the idea of aluminium bottles- though that could be mostly to do with my 2L asahi can I put HB into!

Jeez living in Japan moment for me there. Have you ever heard one of those rumble out of a beer vending machine? Better still the 5l Asahi 'rocket ship' as the local kids called them in Wakoshi where I lived.

Funniest moment was an Anglo/Indian mate and I having a session in front of my local machine one evening when he came to visit. The neighbours got all a-stir...

1 litre cans of Kirin Ichiban were my poison though... such great lager ...

Scotty

OK, I will bite, how do you do this? Sounds bloody brilliant! I love my 3L Grolsch bottle but if i could use 2L Asahi cans i will be in heaven!

Arn't there a few wines out there in aluminium bottles these days?

There's definately a place for aluminium bottles, not just for events and such, but for general retail considering the cost over glass. Not to mention the weight!
But, as with the cork (for wine), I think there will always be glass bottles. The visual appeal of seeing beer in a transparent bottle of sorts is one of those things (some) people savour, and an opaque metal bottle just makes what should be a thing of beauty into a cold, sterile, mechanical looking beverage that could come out of Blade Runner.

I'm happy enough seeing aluminium bottles for cheaper, mass market beers...just like cans. As for the good stuff, i'm happy to pay that bit extra for the glass. :)

Alloy HB bottles. Every time you unscrew the cap and have a swig, just imagine every extra month of Alzheimer's your are ingesting.

I have some horrible crown lager in aluminium left over from last years Peats Ridge Music Festival.
As much fun as a bag full of festering arseholes.
:icon_vomit:

Jeez living in Japan moment for me there. Have you ever heard one of those rumble out of a beer vending machine? Better still the 5l Asahi 'rocket ship' as the local kids called them in Wakoshi where I lived.

Funniest moment was an Anglo/Indian mate and I having a session in front of my local machine one evening when he came to visit. The neighbours got all a-stir...

1 litre cans of Kirin Ichiban were my poison though... such great lager ...

Scotty

I used to live across the street from one and I still remember the 10.55pm dash in the middle of winter because we'd run out of beer and they would switch off at 11. Good times.... :) A mate and I would grab a couple of 1litre cans and go to the local bowling alley and play for a few hours, don't know if we were allowed to take beer in there but they never stopped us.

Alloy HB bottles. Every time you unscrew the cap and have a swig, just imagine every extra month of Alzheimer's your are ingesting.

Oh dear here we go again,that nasty alzheimer jumping from every aluminum vessel and attaching itself to ones brain :unsure:

I don't drink beer from a can,a can shaped like a bottle? don't think so <_<

Batz
Batz you are an idealist dreamer! I do admire that ,but if you are going to drink commercial beer in the distant future, get use to Alli.It is the next stage. :rolleyes: Whazts nexts beer in Pet bottles ? been done.Pomes have got use to it. :lol:
GB

I used to live across the street from one and I still remember the 10.55pm dash in the middle of winter because we'd run out of beer and they would switch off at 11. Good times.... :) A mate and I would grab a couple of 1litre cans and go to the local bowling alley and play for a few hours, don't know if we were allowed to take beer in there but they never stopped us.

Ahh, you just had to find the one that did not switch off ....

Latest posts

Back