Alumininium Vs Ss Kettle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonydav

Reaction score
Given the vast difference in price between the two, is there any real disadvantage to buying a large alum kettle?

And more importantly, for those that bought a large (50-80L) alum kettle, would they do so again?

tony

I use a 50L aluminium kettle. It holds liquid, gets hot, gets cold. Doesn't seem to add any taste to the beer. I've done about 25 batches in it with no noticeable wear apart from some scorching on the outside from the NASA. Basically, it does the job. I would definitely get one again, but I'd probably buy an 80L one. B)

Geez, its been 25 whole minutes and not one alzheimer's joke yet??? You're all getting slow (and forgetful) in your old age!!! :p :ph34r:

But seriously, two of my best mates use ali kettles and the beers coming out of each are fantastic. Certainly no metalic flavours or anything. I have a s/s kettle but if I built a new brewery I would probably go for ali. Hell of a lot cheaper and easier to work with etc too, better conductor of heat etc etc etc, the list of advantages goes on...

Well sounds like alum should be fine.

I'm thinking the 80L will be the go, but wondering if I should get a 100L to enable me to do a double batch BIAB? Costs an extra $20 or so.

Also, PistolPatch mentioned to me that you could also buy these from Kenscomm. I'm buggered if I can find their site - can anyone help please.

tony

I have a 40L ally Robinox with a brass spigot & ball valve drilled, quite cheap for the quality. Having a spigot really helps. If i bought another one, i'd probably get a 60L or 80L - 100L might just be too big, and pretty much requires a NASA and huge esky mash tun if you're going to fill it for a triple/quad batch. And i'd spend the extra $20 or $30 getting stainless fittings for it as it's less hassle in the long run. But after 8 AG batches, the ally is holding up fine, err what were we talking about again? Back in WWII my leg got shot.... :lol:

Thanks mate. Had one too many "m". After all that it's still $5ex cheaper at Allquip!! Need to confirm the postage though.

And what do you think - 80L or 100L?

tony
I think Ken's finally increased the price - it seems that the 40L i bought went from about 65ex to about 75 or something like that, seems that Allquip is now cheaper for anything over 40L.

I'd go 80L, will be more than enough, with 80L filled to the brim boiling with 15% evaporation that's 68L after boil or a triple batch of 22.5L or so! (You'd have to make sure you used some boil anti-foam if you're crazy enough to do that! Safer would be 70-73L full so you have a little headroom)

Only real disadvantage I've seen is aluminium corrodes easier, like if you leave the dregs of a batch in the kettle overnight and have a copper pickup in there. Not a big issue though and I'd buy aluminium again.

What would be the minimun size pot for doing double batches assume 23lt in each fermenter...total of 46 liters.

Rook.

JS, is this were you got yours from?

Nope. Just had the link bookmarked thats all ;)

I use a 40L s/s Jomack Urn.

Cheers,

JS

What would be the minimun size pot for doing double batches assume 23lt in each fermenter...total of 46 liters.

Rook.

JS, is this were you got yours from?

60L to be safe with some boiloff - 70L for extra safety factor.

Alzheimer's Society Fact Sheet on Aluminium

here

Make up your own mind
There is circumstantial evidence linking this metal with Alzheimer's disease but no causal relationship has yet been proved. As evidence for other causes continues to grow, a possible link with aluminium seems increasingly unlikely.

Yep, I think you have far more things to worry about than boiling a few batch of beer in your aluminium pot.

Who here smokes? :ph34r:

There is a whole lot of factors that come into play throughout your entire lifetime.

Edit: By the way this reply isn't meant to fire up the eternal Alu/Alz debate. Just a passing comment.

60L to be safe with some boiloff - 70L for extra safety factor.

That's what I was thinking. And given the alum ones only come in 60,80,100L that I've seen I think the 80L will be the way to go.

Now just need to decide on 4 burner or nasa burner :). More research....

Back