Alt Versus Koelsch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice to have a beer from your City to get behind, I'm jealous of that. FWIW I'm with the Alt, Dsseldorf ber alles!

Win win story, beer wins again.

Respect to Germans for caring so much about beer.

Cool, that page has beer, surfing, toilets, girls kissing and smurfs ... what more can you ask for! :)

Found this on a German site I occasionally look at -
http://www.thelocal.de/lifestyle/20110728-36597.html

Wes

Very good read, thanks Wes.

One thing i noted from the article
[Alt] is in every way stronger than Klsch, Rouenhoff says. Because you can taste the roasted malt and because it uses more hops. Roasted malt also lends the beer a particular flavour that isnt found in Klsch varieties.

And from the BJCP guidelines for Dusseldorf Altbier
No roasted malt flavors or harshness

Makes you wonder whether the authors of the guidelines have actually tasted authentic versions of the beers.

Also makes me re-think my use of carafa at the low levels i do and whether i should be adding some choc malt to get a roasted character. I'm brewing a Dusseldorf Alt this weekend so might have to make some changes.

Rare to see a comment section after an article like that without an anti-megaswill rant from Bribie G...

;)

I preferred the 'going out in germany' gallery..

Makes you wonder whether the authors of the guidelines have actually tasted authentic versions of the beers.

Also makes me re-think my use of carafa at the low levels i do and whether i should be adding some choc malt to get a roasted character. I'm brewing a Dusseldorf Alt this weekend so might have to make some changes.

I think there may have been a bit of "lost in translation" there........ they are most likely refering to the character from the munich which is a toasted/roasted malt, the same as they said the ladies tend to like Kolsch more because of the Altbiers "tartness" or as we would say... bitterness.

Dont put any roast flavours in there...... its all about the fruity maltiness and hop bitterness...... roast character would throw it out.

I have a Kolsch and Alt on tap side by side in my garage and i must say..... they are a fine pair

cheers..... and im gunna check out the gallery when the kids go to bed.... all i saw was to hotties kissing :)

I think there may have been a bit of "lost in translation" there........ they are most likely refering to the character from the munich which is a toasted/roasted malt, the same as they said the ladies tend to like Kolsch more because of the Altbiers "tartness" or as we would say... bitterness.

Dont put any roast flavours in there...... its all about the fruity maltiness and hop bitterness...... roast character would throw it out.

There was an interesting post (or series of posts resulting from a thread) from newguy regarding his visit to Germany and his experience of alts there.

I'll see if I can dig it up but essentially he was suggesting that alts brewed for comps he'd been involved with/judged in Canada (presumably BJCP endorsed type saga) and alts he drank in Germany were a very different kettle of fish.

The German ones DID contain some roast type flavours such as choc malt (not like a stout obviously) as well as often some oaky flavours due to being served from barrels.

Drinking an Alt now, and have a Kolsch fermenting right now.

Great pic link that! (good article also).

I'm thirsty now.

Can't wait for Wyeast 2575 again

There was an interesting post (or series of posts resulting from a thread) from newguy regarding his visit to Germany and his experience of alts there.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...=48698&st=0

Mentions both chocolate and roasty flavours in alts. Aslo suggests there is a lot of variation alt to alt (which concretes my feeling that BJCP does not stand for the Beer Jesus Called perfect).

To get any better idea, I need to go to Germany and find out for myself.

Latest posts

Back