Will my Hefe work?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

depecid

Reaction score
Hi all,

Still very new to AG as i'm on my 4th run (7th total including extract) and had a family member ask me to brew a Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier.
I found a recipe online and ordered my ingredients from Brewman. I couldn't find any "Pale Malt" on the site so i assumed the closest would be "Pale Ale Malt".... now i'm doubting this and assumed i should have gone for pilsner malt instead.
So currently my recipe looks like this:

2.4kg wheat pale (German)
2.1kg pale ale (German)
110g Munich light
26g Hersbrucker (90min)
Wyeast 3056

The grain is all premixed so i can't just forego the pale ale and go to the lhbs to get pilsner. Should i still give it a go or will it be nothing like i'm after?
It's only $25 worth of grain, but feel dirty tossing anything and haste waste.

Thanks!

Hi all,

Still very new to AG as i'm on my 4th run (7th total including extract) and had a family member ask me to brew a Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier.
I found a recipe online and ordered my ingredients from Brewman. I couldn't find any "Pale Malt" on the site so i assumed the closest would be "Pale Ale Malt".... now i'm doubting this and assumed i should have gone for pilsner malt instead.
So currently my recipe looks like this:

2.4kg wheat pale (German)
2.1kg pale ale (German)
110g Munich light
26g Hersbrucker (90min)
Wyeast 3056

The grain is all premixed so i can't just forego the pale ale and go to the lhbs to get pilsner. Should i still give it a go or will it be nothing like i'm after?
It's only $25 worth of grain, but feel dirty tossing anything and haste waste.

Thanks!
Im pretty sure pale malt is the correct name for the malt used in pale ales and also many other english styles. You have the correct malt if the recipe ask for pale malt.

Pinched the following from this for a BYO article on malt types

Pale ale malt is slightly more kilned than pale malt and will have a slightly darker color. Usually in the 2.5–3 degrees Lovibond range. Pale ale malt has a more full-bodied flavor and you will get more of the malty aromas with pale ale malt.

It's a good read on the various malt types

Thanks guys. It's a bit confusing as a lot of online suppliers seem to either have pale malt or pale ale malt so i assumed they were the same thing. After reading some articles it appears they aren't the same as per the post above. I'll give it a go and see how she turns out.

I once made a hef with 1/3 marris otter 2/3 wheat malt, didn't like it as much as 1/3 vienna or pilsner malt I think 1/2 pale ale malt will be ok although it wouldn't be my first choice. I generally use pilsner now and did a deccoction mash last time which gives it just a nice amount of maltyness.

Yeast is a major contributor to flavors, some are more prone to bannana and others clove. Fermentation temperature will also change the flavors the yeast gives, low end of the range will give clove, high end banana and bubblegum. For a Paulaner style I would go top the top of the recommended range for the yeast you are using

A Hefe i did a few weeks ago which was my 2nd AG was 50 wheat, 50 pils and Hallertau hops, for such a simple recipe its a really tasty drop especially for the warmer weather thats coming.

I find that the benefit of a fresh homebrew often outweighs the "downside" of any recipe differences. I don't fret too much when my recipes aren't exact clones of beers I like (Paulaner HW, SNPA) as long as it's tasty and in the ballpark of what I was shooting for. Your grain bill sounds great.
As Sidney wrote, figure out what you want out of the yeast as that will be a big flavour component. Good luck!

Back