Alloy Care N Cleaning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi

Reaction score
I've been given a large "Alloy" stockpot for brewing and have noticed that there's a lot out there on Aluminum & Stainless cleaning but couldn't find anything specifically "Alloy".
Now I know cleaning and care will depend on what is the composition of the Alloy (what metals), however I don't know how to work this out :( .I'm assuming it is an Aluminium Alloy, it is thicker and heavier per size than the smaller aluminum pots I have and after giving it a trial boil with water it has developed a very obvious oxide layer (much duller and feels a little powdery).
At present since it is a "Stockpot" I'll assume this is par for the course for this metal and that it's still safe to use.
At this stage I plan to clean it like I do my Al pots (no harsh scrubs n chemicals just simple water wipe down). Anyone reccomend different??

Will the "Alloy" be OK with having a hole drilled through it for a tap or will this expose it to further corrosion?

Anyone else use a non-descript Alloy pot?

cheers

Jimi,

Another item that I am personally wary of is the possible link of Aluminum with Alzhiemers (sp?) - due to my family history.

However, if the pot continues to form an oxide layer every time you boil, then in my mind this would lead to the pot walls becoming thinner, with the metal forming an oxide and then breaking down when washed or during boils.

I would have thought the less oxides etc in your beer the better.

Just some thoughts though!

Maybe someone with more chemistry & alloy background could be of more use.

Cheers. :)

Jimi,

Another item that I am personally wary of is the possible link of Aluminum with Alzhiemers (sp?) - due to my family history.

However, if the pot continues to form an oxide layer every time you boil, then in my mind this would lead to the pot walls becoming thinner, with the metal forming an oxide and then breaking down when washed or during boils.

I would have thought the less oxides etc in your beer the better.

Just some thoughts though!

Maybe someone with more chemistry & alloy background could be of more use.

Cheers. :)

The Al to Alzhiemers is a big debate which I don't want to drag up again, there's a lot of other threads on the topic. A degree of oxidizing is ment to be good for Al pots but there is a lot more going on in this Alloy pot which has made me cautious and prompted me to start this thread.
Any 'Alloy' uses out there?

Bump
I can't be the only one using an Ally Alloy

No there are plenty of others using aluminium...

Care to explain the difference between alloy and aluminium and how one would tell what his pot is? markings? stamps?

i use a 120L aluminium pot. Cant tell you if its alloy or allyh alum tho? base is thick, sides are about 4mm thick.

i get that crap as well on the bottom but im pretty sure im not going to go chasing a chemical to clean it off with, cause its a pot to brew beer with and thats all it does, boils wort. i havnt noticed a difference in the tatste of my beer after any boils once that crap had formed.

The Al to Alzhiemers is a big debate which I don't want to drag up again, there's a lot of other threads on the topic. A degree of oxidizing is ment to be good for Al pots but there is a lot more going on in this Alloy pot which has made me cautious and prompted me to start this thread.
Any 'Alloy' uses out there?

The Al - Alzheimer's link was disproved a long time ago, I thought? The development of the oxide layer will prevent corrosion.

jimi,
you are giving a dodgey definition of your pot, all metals are an alloy hence everyones aluminium pot is an alloy but the compisition of them will vary.

alloy definition 'wikipedia';

"An alloy is a solid solution or homogeneous mixture of two or more elements, at least one of which is a metal, which itself has metallic properties. It usually has different properties from those of its component elements."

no one can help you with your questions because noone knows what your pots exact compisition is. more than likey your pot is just a standard aluminium pot that can be cared for by standard aluminium cleaning practice.

cheers :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back