All In The Timing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mercs Own

blabla
Reaction score
Well I took peoples advice and made a starter with my 2 packets of wyeast (not quite up to splitting yet) but of course I did this this mornihng whilst brewing my beer and now my beer is in the fermenting fridge at pitching temp but my starter hasnt really started!!!

1. so how long should I leave it till I pitch it - till the morning or tonight? Keep in mind my last brew with this yeast which I fried ended up down the drain so I am feeling am a little sensitive about this one working.

I was aiming for a 34 litre batch from a 42 litre boil unfortunately as I was filling the fermenter I noticed that my markings for levels had been washed off by my vigorous cleaning practises. The mark that I thought was the 35 litre mark actually turned out to be the 38 litre mark which means I didnt really need to tip the kettle up to get those last three litres out to make 34 as I had in fact passed that mark some litres before. So I now have 37 litres in the fermenter on calculations for 34.

2. So why does my OG change from an estimated 1048 on 34 litre in the fermenter to a 1044 with 37 litres in the fermenter?? I know there is extra liquid in there but doesnt the extra sugar also count? why doesnt it stay the same??? My brain hurts!

Lastly - the brew day went quite well. I have now done 6 AG brews and learning which is a good thing as I am also still making mistakes. The biggest one today could also be a timing issue. Whilst cleaning my pump it slipped out of my hands and almost fell into the bucket I was using to rinse the inlets and outlets. By a stroke of good timing I caught the cord there by saving the pump from falling in the bucket of water. Instead one of the arms for the outlets struck the side of the bucket and was karate chopped off! - right by the thread!!! So now I am in the market for a new pump :angry:

G'day Merc's own. the reason you ended up with a lower SG and greater volume is simple maths. 1.048 x 34 lts is approx the same as 1.044 x 37 lts. I would guess you did not boil off as much as you calculated. As for your yeast, that will go soon enough. Just follow the instructions and keep it at a steady temp. You can order new pump heads from Grain and Grape. As Papazian says "don't worry, have a home brew"
Regards, Razz :super:

I'd pitch the starter now (as long as it smells good).

Paul,

You'd be pretty unlucky to have 2 dead smackpaks - just pitch & you'll be fine...

cheers Ross

Merc,
I agree with Ross :eek: Two packs is over-kill. You could have always just used one pack and swirled the fermeter after about 6 hours. Sorry about the pump. I have heard that those polysulphone heads are brittle. Thanks for the heads up and I will TRY to be more careful with mine.
cheers

Darren

Darren they are very brittle!!! As for swirling for six hours I am not going to enter into the debate I read earlier regarding swirling versus shaking etc amusing but I am staying out of it! Mind you I have been swirling since about three so that is approx 6 hours now!

Ross, I am sure the smack packs are fine, I just didnt start them early enough. As for your comment regarding what you do in your car - I may try and see if it can be done on a bike - stationary I know it works but moving could just give it that little bit e :D xtra

Merc,
Don't swirl anymore or it will be climbing out of the fermenter.
cheers
darren

Chuck it in, chuck it in. It easy to miss the ferment in a starter.

At every opportunity give your starter a shake, and I mean a vigorous shake. Don't use an airlock for starters so that you can shake shit out of them every time you pass by, loosen the lid for gas release. And very important, look at the starter closely. You see activity, everything is on track, the yeast is budding "reproducing" just not what we are used to seeing through the top of the fermenter when it is in stage 2 or "Krausen". Pitch it in, it is breeding the dirty rotten lucky thing. This one's going to be great! Gotta keep saying that. Just tried my last IPA which caused me all sorts of headaches during ferment, IT'S GREAT Yay!

Edit: shit spelling

Out of interest Paul, when did you smack the WYeast packs?

Nrb - this morning!

How is this though - I added the starter to the fermenter about 1.2 litres which has now taken the fermenter liquid to 38.5 and I hit my target og!!!!!! 1048 -- taken from a sample at 20 degrees.
I dont understand this brewing stuff really I dont think any of it makes sense but it sure as hell tastes good!

Who cares if you don't understand it... if you're making good beer, don't complain :p

I'm surprised you smacked the pack on the day of brewing. You're better off smacking a few days out and if it expands quickly to the point near rupture, stick it in the fridge. That being said, you'll have a lot of yeast pitched with 2 packs and a number of hours in starter wort.

Nick

Latest posts

Back