All Grain Or Extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AG or Extract brewer?

• Extract

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All Grain

• Bit of both

• Total voters
Its all about the journey. I enjoy the brewing process as much as the finished product. I view 6 or so hours as a positive rather than a negative, I'm quite happy to spend all day doing something I enjoy. There is also the satisfaction of creating something from raw components, something unique. Couldn't care less if an oversensitive kit brewer finds a statement of my personal enjoyment offensive.

I have and still do a mix of both (time is the factor for me) so I am going to start a fight with myself.... :blink:

Luke

Its all about the journey. I enjoy the brewing process as much as the finished product. I view 6 or so hours as a positive rather than a negative, I'm quite happy to spend all day doing something I enjoy. There is also the satisfaction of creating something from raw components, something unique.

Ditto.

As I type this I am some 5 hours into a very leisurely and relaxed brewday. The only negative is that the time came up unexpectedly and I didn't manage to organise any other brewer(s) to share in the fun :( .

When I tell people about my hobby, I acknowledge I am out there on the lunatic fringe of home brewing.

Not for everybody. Doesn't have to be. No need to proselytise. No need to intentionally offend anyone either.

Now, I think I should listen to my wise old Uncle MAH, and maybe just get back to the beer making :)

awrabest, stu

Ok im not going to say which brewers method works better for them

But isnt extract just a boiled down Wort that is made from all-grain and possibly hops

So that being said, im sure we could conclude that the fresh wort, before its thickened by reduction surly would be better to use and more fresh tasting than the final concentrated version

Dave

One pleasing thing on here is unlike in mainstream life when you mention home brew you inevitably get 20 nobs, who blurt out, "I tried homebrew once and it was disgusting murky cloudy stuff"

Some hacks have a lot to answer for!

To a lot of mainstream society it seems we are still deemed cheapskate alcoholics!

As said by a few already. This thread smacks of eliteism.

I've tasted extract brews that have been fantastic and some AG brews that taste like dog's vomit.

Both methods create great beer. All depends on how badly you want your beer to taste good and how committed you are to not cutting corners. :)

Don't let anybody tell you that AG brewing is hard. A trained chimp could do it. (Actually I think they may already). :lol:

Warren -

:lol: :lol: i think i will call him (Warren)......."Monkey Boy"

You forgot to add... Great Sage, Equal of Heaven. :beerbang:

Warren -

DVD_4.jpg

As said by a few already. This thread smacks of eliteism.

I've tasted extract brews that have been fantastic and some AG brews that taste like dog's vomit.

Both methods create great beer. All depends on how badly you want your beer to taste good and how committed you are to not cutting corners. :)

Don't let anybody tell you that AG brewing is hard. A trained chimp could do it. (Actually I think they may already). :lol:

Warren -

I don't know if any of the AGers here are elitist, I think that's the problem - its impossible to say you think AG is better without sounding like a snob, but again, why would the AG brewers spend all the extra time and money if it was possible to produce something that was just as good out of extract? It just doesn't make sense. I don't think anybody here is saying all extract beers are bad (in fact the point of all of my comments was kind of to NOT say that), but all things held constant, I think you would struggle to produce a better beer out of extract than grain. I am just trying to be objective here - I have brewed kits, extract, partials and AG and I can safely say that the AG beers are far better than comparable extract beers I used to make. That's not to say the extract beers were bad (I brewed them for 5 years so they can't have been that bad!) but the AG ones are better. I don't consider that an elitist comment, and I certainly hope it didn't come across that way!

Damn, I wan't going to post any more on this! :lol: :rolleyes:

TD.

Don't get me wrong. Was more a reassurance for the many extract, kit brewers out there that they shouldn't be ignored or made to feel inferior because they aren't. :)

I've been AG brewing for around 8 years and wouldn't do it any other way. ;) Main reason being I get total control over the whole process and was anxious to explore the process further. That being said the extract and kit brewer can make good (even great) beer but must be aware that it will sit within certain parameters and limitations.

On a bad note I used to go to brew club meetings though and watch blokes do their first, second or even third all-grain and suddenly think they are the king of all they survey, quickly forgetting what they were doing only months previously. Suddenly they have nothing better to do than to scorn the kit and extract brewers. :(

Would even sit with guys judging extract/kit beers only to be annoyed that they bag the beer before even tasting it. Basically wearing their A/G blinkers. <_<

Warren -

I don't know if any of the AGers here are elitist, I think that's the problem - its impossible to say you think AG is better without sounding like a snob, but again, why would the AG brewers spend all the extra time and money if it was possible to produce something that was just as good out of extract?

Quite simply for a hobby and because they enjoy being able to create beer from the base ingredients.

Really if you use malt as your booster for Thomas Cooper Premium, Maltshovel, Brewcraft and Morgans + the necessary hops and grains they'd be as good as most AG's.

Or easier still just go the ESB 3kg range and add some hops.....

I couldn't agree with you more Warren - I think I may have misinterpreted your post just a tad! :rolleyes: :lol:

Any form of bias or preconception is bad. As I said I am really looking forward to tasting some of the extract brews that will be in the NSW Xmas in July case - there's nothing better than variety. I certainly wouldn't write any off before trying them. But then its open slather (regardless of the brewing method)! :lol:

At our last meeting we did a little test on our table of about 6 people which consisted of AGers, Partial mashers, extract brewers and kit brewers. Funnily enough each one had brought their own version of a stout. So we poured each into a glass with only one person knew which was which (the most sober of us). We each tasted them in turn. The partial masher won with the AGer second and the kit last. It was his first partial mash too. It was very interesting and fun (hic!) :party:
Cheers
Steve

Gee, people sure get steamed about this. Plenty of room for everyone, people!

My first ever competition class win in our club comp was with a porter doctored up from a Coopers Real Ale kit. Beat out all-grain brews.

Extracts and kits can and do win classes.

The best tasting kit brews I've tried in our club are made by a guy who is also a master all-grain brewer.

The best thing about all-grain to me is the "navel gazing" factor. That long, relaxed day as the mash rests, or slowly sparges, or as I boil for 90+ minutes.

Yeah but certain AG's get so pissed off even at the mention that kits can make better beers then AG's.

Thats what shits me.

Yeah but certain AG's get so pissed off even at the mention that kits can make better beers then AG's.

Thats what shits me.

Drew,

I myself mainly brew either modified kit brews or partial brews, (due to time) and I believe I make great beers that I thouroughly enjoy, so don't take me for being an 'elitist' as it's been dubbed.

However, I think this last comment you have made may be worth putting into perspective. You seem to get peeved at the people who claim their AG brews are superior to your kit brews yet you fight back at them claiming that your Kit's make better beers... I think you may be playing a part of your own problem.

Let it go man! Enjoy your beers and let others enjoy theirs. :beerbang:

JS

Back