All Grain Experimentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadian Brewer

Reaction score
In a couple of months I will be getting my hands on a dozen 1 gallon glass jugs and I'd like to try a couple brewing experiments! I have had a couple rye beers recently and I must say I'm a fan but I was thinking about doing a rye and wheat beer, having never tried anything like this, I would like to do some smaller batches with varying wheat to rye ratios.

My question is, is it possible to brew something like 20 liters of wheat malts into wort and separately brew another 20 of rye malts to combine just before pitching? I was just thinking of lightly hopping each to see how the grain flavors balance and then split it up into 1/5, 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 1/1 and so on. I don't know if this is extract brewing as I started of with biab, but the idea seems relatively straight forward.

Has anyone tried something like this to come up with a malt profile they like? What are your experiences with it?

Thanks,

Canadian Brewer

Of course you can do this.
I've blended a few worts or added new wort to fermenting wort to change the balance.
Extract brewing is using extract. If you are biabing but separating into small amounts for blending it's still ag.

Back