All Amarillo Apa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im a jedi mind reader. that and i and other people i know have wanted simcoe for a while now.

Now we have got to break Daves kneecaps to order some in! That and Centennial... :icon_drool2:

Hey Rev,
Is this one in the recipe BD? Name?
mckenry

No it isnt mate, but its pretty simple, ill post it up here as its sorta on topic

5.5kg Global Munich (25EBC - similair to weyermann Munich II)
FWH - 25g Amarillo 8.6%
20 - 25g Amarillo 8.6%
10 -25g Amarillo 8.6%
5 - 25g Amarillo 8.6%
Dry -50g Amarillo 8.6%
US-05

I got an OG of 1059 and around 59 IBUs, first two weeks in the keg it was just ooozing with a big citrussy mandarin aroma and a juicy hop flavour, it was awesome!! The malt started to come through and take over the aroma from the 3rd week, so if I was going to do it again id dry hop with 80-100gms of Amarillo to counter this :icon_drool2: But im a hop head ;)

No it isnt mate, but its pretty simple, ill post it up here as its sorta on topic

5.5kg Global Munich (25EBC - similair to weyermann Munich II)
FWH - 25g Amarillo 8.6%
20 - 25g Amarillo 8.6%
10 -25g Amarillo 8.6%
5 - 25g Amarillo 8.6%
Dry -50g Amarillo 8.6%
US-05

I got an OG of 1059 and around 59 IBUs, first two weeks in the keg it was just ooozing with a big citrussy mandarin aroma and a juicy hop flavour, it was awesome!! The malt started to come through and take over the aroma from the 3rd week, so if I was going to do it again id dry hop with 80-100gms of Amarillo to counter this :icon_drool2: But im a hop head ;)

Reviled , What volume is that for ?

PistolPatch has recommended I try NRB All Amarillo APA as my next BIAB attempt.

I am going to use some of my Cascade with the Amarillo just cause i want o use it all up.

Recently however, my last few brews have been with US-05 and i was hoping to try a different kind of yeast just to experience a different type. What would be a good replacement for this yeast. I was hoping to try a liquid yeast and have a go at culturing it to get a few brews from one vile.

I would like a yeast that flocculates well and is an APA style type yeast.

PistolPatch has recommended I try NRB All Amarillo APA as my next BIAB attempt.

I am going to use some of my Cascade with the Amarillo just cause i want o use it all up.

Recently however, my last few brews have been with US-05 and i was hoping to try a different kind of yeast just to experience a different type. What would be a good replacement for this yeast. I was hoping to try a liquid yeast and have a go at culturing it to get a few brews from one vile.

I would like a yeast that flocculates well and is an APA style type yeast.

Give 1272 a try, or if youre after a liquid twin of US-05 go for 1056, but I personally wouldnt bother, 1272 is great :icon_drool2:

+1 on 1272, awesome yeast, nice and fruity

Hi,
Just put to bed my first AG, NRBs APA.
I am bloody exhausted.(WORRIES)
Everything went ok .... i think, strike temp was 68c , but by the time i got rid of a couple of dough balls,it had drop abit, so i gave it some heat.
After 90 mins took a temp check, not bad drop a couple of degrees.
Now i was going to take it up to mash out temp, i only got to 70c and decided to just take the bag out.
So took out bag , and give it a good squeeze.
I was going along nicely, but then i missed the time of the last hop addition by 10mins, so i just added another 10 mins on to the boil,... wright or wrong?
Cooled down with wort chiller, and put into fermenter bin, added yeast and give it a good stir to aerate.
Did i do anything wrong, or can i make afew adjustments, the reason being.... i am doing another brew of this tomorrow.
The only reading i took was the OG when wort was in fermenter, before yeast was added, OG 1052
Big thanks to Pat and Zwickel for their help.
Clifford

Top stuff Clifford!

Great to see you get your first one under the belt. Also sounds as though you will end up with a great brew. A few things for tomorrow...

1. Make sure you heat your water up before you add the grain. That way you won't get any dough balls.
2. Check your temperature during the mash a bit more often and give it a stir before you do so. Giving it a bit of heat during the mash to keep it at the correct mash temp wont do you any harm. Remember to stir any time you apply heat.
3. Don't worry about the ten minute hop bit. Extending the boil by ten minutes was the proper correction.

OG of 1.052 is spot on.

Top job and all the best for tomorrow,
Pat :icon_cheers:

yeah, great story Clifford
thumb.gif

As long as Pat keeps you under hes wings, nothing can go wrong :)

Enjoy your beer and good luck

lothar

Hi,
Just put to bed my first AG, NRBs APA.

I was going along nicely, but then i missed the time of the last hop addition by 10mins, so i just added another 10 mins on to the boil,... wright or wrong?

Clifford

Either right or wrong, depending on the recipe - The problem with what you've done is that you've added 10 mins to every other hop addition as well, that may (according to your recipe) add a lot more bitterness than the recipe calls for.
You'll need to calculate the extra bittering for an idea of how far out it will be.

cheers Ross

Hi,
Just brewed another batch of this.
Mash temp 65c-66c, checked temp twice and stirred, temp held throughout mash, so didnt add flame.
I did a mash out, plus i gave the grain a good squeeze when lifting bag out.
5 galls into fermenter, gravity 1050.
Clifford

is there a commercial example of all Amarillo around?

Latest posts

Back