All Amarillo Apa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there Richard. It might be better if I have a crack at answering your questions in the BIAB thread. Will do so shortly ;)

Fents, the first time I did NRB's recipe I made a cracker of an error and ended up having to boil 8 litres on its own after the main boil. Long story but it still turned out very nicely so I reckon you have nothing to worry about. As NRB said it is a simple recipe but it's very tolerant as well.

Spot,
Pat

The recipe I put together was kegged 12/04/07 and tasted today:

Batch Size (L): 29.50

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
76.9 5.00 kg. Bairds Maris Otter Pale Malt UK 37.00 7
15.4 1.00 kg. Weyermann Munich I Germany 38.00 19
7.7 0.50 kg. Weyermann Caraamber Germany 37.00 93

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
18.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 16.2 First WH
25.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 11.6 30 min.
23.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 7.0 20 min.
26.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 3.9 5 min.

WYeast 1335 British Ale II

While this beer is a tasty drop, it isn't what I had planned. It's quite dry in the finish and I wondered where the caramel/sweet notes were.

Then it dawned on me; my original hash of this beer included CaraStan and somewhere along the way I replaced CaraStan with CaraAmber! :eek: On paper they seemed the same, but it occurred to me yesterday (after reading BB) that CaraStan is a crystal and CaraAmber is a toasted malt hence the lack of residual sweetness from what I had envisioned. Looks like I'm going to have to brew it up again, but this time with a crystal malt of some description. Oh well, at least I'm going to have a few full kegs to demolish! :chug:

I bottled up some Amarillo Pale Ale yesterday and it came out quite nice. I still like a blend of hops in my pale ales, but Amarillo along with Centennial are highly drinkable.

Funny you should say that CJ - I dry hopped this one with Amarillo/Centennial a couple of days ago. I suppose it's no longer an AAAPA anymore!

Bringing up a old thread.

Now I understand PP how the reversing of the hops happened.

Anyhow I have this beer on tap! (and can not wait to get home) This is going to be our house beer! Its fantastic. $80.00 for 500g or Amarillo is a bit steep! I finished my last batch in this brew. We are using the reverse hops schedule. Next brew I will brew as recipe see how that one goes.

Then it dawned on me; my original hash of this beer included CaraStan and somewhere along the way I replaced CaraStan with CaraAmber! On paper they seemed the same, but it occurred to me yesterday (after reading BB) that CaraStan is a crystal and CaraAmber is a toasted malt hence the lack of residual sweetness from what I had envisioned. Looks like I'm going to have to brew it up again, but this time with a crystal malt of some description. Oh well, at least I'm going to have a few full kegs to demolish!

FYI Weyermann CaraAmber IS a crystal malt. its names amber due to its colour, also note the Cara. Cara = crystal. its colour range is b/w carared and caramunich.

FYI Weyermann CaraAmber IS a crystal malt. its names amber due to its colour, also note the Cara. Cara = crystal. its colour range is b/w carared and caramunich.

I still disagree with this - look at the grains, compare carared/munich etc with caraamber and straight away you can see that the caraamber is not crystalised!! :p Plus it doesnt give me any of the characteristics that you get from crystal malts... My opinion only of course, but I stand by it!

Katie - $80 AUD for 500gms of Amarillo??? :blink: Thats so steep! I recently got a kilo for around $110 NZD, and I thought that was expensive!! If youre looking to buy big amounts like that id probably shop around a bit more..

Also, on the topic of All amarillo ale, if anyone here likes Munich I would reccommend the Munich and Amarillo SMaSH type beer, I brewed one recently and it was absolutely awesome!!! Nice malt character backed up with that mandarin citrusyness you get from an abundance of Amarillo :icon_drool2:

I still disagree with this - look at the grains, compare carared/munich etc with caraamber and straight away you can see that the caraamber is not crystalised!! :p Plus it doesnt give me any of the characteristics that you get from crystal malts... My opinion only of course, but I stand by it!

Katie - $80 AUD for 500gms of Amarillo??? :blink: Thats so steep! I recently got a kilo for around $110 NZD, and I thought that was expensive!! If youre looking to buy big amounts like that id probably shop around a bit more..

Also, on the topic of All amarillo ale, if anyone here likes Munich I would reccommend the Munich and Amarillo SMaSH type beer, I brewed one recently and it was absolutely awesome!!! Nice malt character backed up with that mandarin citrusyness you get from an abundance of Amarillo :icon_drool2:

Actually $64.00... opps... love munich might give that a try.

Actually $64.00... opps... love munich might give that a try.

Thats not as bad I guess...

Definately do try the all munich APA, I used Munich II for a bit more malt character, but munich I would work fine as well, it comes out with an awesome red colour and looks devine :icon_drool2: No need for crystal or any specialty malts either...

Might have to brew another one ;)

I still disagree with this - look at the grains, compare carared/munich etc with caraamber and straight away you can see that the caraamber is not crystalised!! Plus it doesnt give me any of the characteristics that you get from crystal malts... My opinion only of course, but I stand by it!

I suggest you download the Malt specifications zip file from weyermann Rev. You will clearly see that it is a crystal malt, not only does the description say: "Gentle, malty caramel flavors. Enhances mouthfeel. Adds deep red color. Promotes flavor
stability"

It also will show it does not have any of the specs that any of the non-stewed malts have. e.g. Protien content, modification, sacchrification time, etc. All it shows is its colour and extraction %. Not to mention its listed in the 'caramel' barley malts section on their website. If it was indeed amber barley malt, it would be listed along side melanoiden and aciduated under the "specialty malt" category

Next time drop me an email, you know Im going to give you the best price and I will let you drink all my beer.
GB

I wasnt quoting your prices GB... :)

You know once we get a grain mill we will be acquiring your services far more frequently. And you have a certain American hop I want to get my hands on.

I wasnt quoting your prices GB... :)

You know once we get a grain mill we will be acquiring your services far more frequently. And you have a certain American hop I want to get my hands on.

its simcoe isnt it...

how did you know! :eek:

GB also lives just under hour away and theres no way I can only have one beer!
Best beer Ive ever tasted... :rolleyes:
Next brew is a Simcoe and Amarillo extravaganza. Im going to brew my first APA :eek: Got to go and sample some customers beers and cook a Thai yellow curry. You know you want some :lol:
GB

Next brew is a Simcoe and Amarillo extravaganza. Im going to brew my first APA :eek: Got to go and sample some customers beers and cook a Thai yellow curry. You know you want some :lol:
GB

Are we meeting next Saturday for lunch?

Probably get the hops of you then!

I have a beautiful hopburst, hopped with nelson, cascade and galaxy that I will bring over. I know you want to? LOL! mmmm cascade!

Are we meeting next Saturday for lunch?

Probably get the hops of you then!

I have a beautiful hopburst, hopped with nelson, cascade and galaxy that I will bring over. I know you want to? LOL! mmmm cascade!
Yeah its on for Saturday week, 28th. Hope its good deck weather otherwise light the fire and huddle around.
GB

Hey Rev,
Is this one in the recipe BD? Name?
mckenry

how did you know! :eek:

GB also lives just under hour away and theres no way I can only have one beer!
Best beer Ive ever tasted... :rolleyes:

im a jedi mind reader. that and i and other people i know have wanted simcoe for a while now.

Latest posts

Back