All Amarillo Apa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No good news there, get rid of the tree and use some hot 1% caustic on everything that's been in contact with it to make sure you bomb it totally clean. Sounds like one hell of a biology experiment around that tree!

Argh. That sounds painful. FWIW, all my seasonal infection problems at our old house went away after we had a large custard apple tree removed. No more rotting fruit lying about - no more funny pellicle forming Brett infections.

Here's our all-Amarillo beer. "Death by Amarillo". Came out a little stronger than the recipe (unexpectedly high mash efficiency), ended up with a nearly 6% abv beer. Was formulated as 1.052 and 1.012 expected. Got 1.059 and 1.014. It was mind blowingly hoppy but with big malt underneath - after having acouple of these, LCPA tasted like Tooheys New. If you brew this recipe you are not going to win any awards for subtlety or finesse!

View attachment 79_death_by_amarillo.html

NRB, have you considered dropping the secondary altogether? I leave my ales on primary for 12-14 days before bottling or kegging and I still get bright beers. It might help you narrow down where the infection is coming from.

Yeah, but the 2 brews prior to this were not secondaried. Why did I put this one in secondary? I was happy with the flavour, but wanted to make it brighter.

I'm not sure about the reason for that, Lindsay. If you go to the main Promash page and click on the styles button at the bottom left, you get the style guidelines. If you are a registered user, they'll tell you when they update them or you can probably download new guidelines from the website. (Don't tell anybody but mine is still on trial mode. :eek: )

I'm sure it'll be a nice summer drinker, NRB. That last APA was an all amarillo too. :chug:
I won't tell anyone Stuster, I'm still on trial mode as well ! :lol:

Howdy NRB,

Zizzle brewed your beer here for the last QLD Swap using his electric BIAB set-up. I loved it.

I brewed it up last Sunday (gas BIAB) and am just tasting it now. I really love this beer and can see it taking up permanent residence in one of my 3 kegs.

Thanks for a great recipe mate,
Pat

Glad someone's enjoyed it Pat. I'll be brewing it again sometime when the weather's a little cooler. Hopefully I'll get a taste of a 'good' version :D

Well NRB, that keg was drained very quickly.

I'm just brewing another one now and mucked around with some mash temps - starting dry at 61.5 for first ten minutes and then raising to 65 degrees to finish the mash. It was going to be a 60 minute mash but...

Unfortunately my brother-in-law stopped in to drink more of the empty keg and so I had to do the boil hop calculation while keeping him entertained.

In your first post, you have the aroma addition first so, of course, I had a quick glance and assumed it was the boil addition :blink:

So, it looks like I'm brewing a very bitter version of your original.

The QLD guys are going to love this mistake!

I am somewhat less amused :(

Loved the last batch though!

Pat

In your first post, you have the aroma addition first so, of course, I had a quick glance and assumed it was the boil addition :blink:

So, it looks like I'm brewing a very bitter version of your original.

The QLD guys are going to love this mistake!

Ya big girl Pat... HTFU :D

Ya big girl Pat... HTFU :D
Yeah Pat listen to Chopper: HTFU :D

chopperoj2.jpg

It should still turn out great Pat.

I'm planning on remaking this one with minor modifications tomorrow whilst the Grand Prix is on. Will mash in early and hope to have most complete by race time.

For this batch I'm going to FWH instead of a 60min addition and will up the aroma addition a small amount. I'm also using a British Ale yeast (WY1335 British Ale II) for this one.

Ok, I've just done an overnight mash on this little baby and have FWH it. Looks like my efficiency is through the roof on the current system - recipe was set at 65% with a preboil gravity of 9.9 degrees brix (1.040). I've come in at target volume but 13.5 degrees brix (1.056). I calculate that to be a 90% efficiency. Not bad for a batch sparge.

Now the desicion has to be made - more hops and more water preboil, or more water post boil? I know I'm going to have to up the hopping anyway. I've never had to do an on the fly calculation!

Any tips or guidance would be most appreciated. I've got a bit of time on my hands - I did an 18g FWH addition and will be doing a 20, 5 and flameout addition of 23, 26 and 20g respectively.

Ok, playing with an untested system is always going to have some difficulty, but managed to pull a brew off nevertheless. Here's what I came up with today:

NRB's All Amarillo APA Take 2

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

06-A American Pale Ales, American Pale Ale

Min OG: 1.045 Max OG: 1.056
Min IBU: 20 Max IBU: 40
Min Clr: 9 Max Clr: 28 Color in EBC

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 29.50 Wort Size (L): 29.50
Total Grain (kg): 6.50
Anticipated OG: 1.056 Plato: 13.81
Anticipated EBC: 20.3
Anticipated IBU: 38.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 82 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 17.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 39.60 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.042 SG 10.41 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %
Additional Utilization Used For First Wort Hops: -10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
76.9 5.00 kg. Bairds Maris Otter Pale Malt UK 37.00 7
15.4 1.00 kg. Weyermann Munich I Germany 38.00 19
7.7 0.50 kg. Weyermann Caraamber Germany 37.00 93

Potential represented as Points per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
18.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 16.2 First WH
25.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 11.6 30 min.
23.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 7.0 20 min.
26.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 3.9 5 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1335 British Ale II

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain kg: 6.50
Water Qts: 17.86 - Before Additional Infusions
Water L: 16.90 - Before Additional Infusions

L Water Per kg Grain: 2.60 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 68 Time: Overnight
Mash-out Rest Temp : 75 Time: 5
Sparge Temp : 75 Time: 20

Total Mash Volume L: 21.24 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Celsius.

Notes
-----

Original recipe estimated 65% efficiency - efficiency was closer to 90%,
added 5L filtered water to kettle at 35mins.

OG 13.8 degrees brix or 1.056, so the addition of some water to the kettle and the 30min addition should result in one I'll enjoy. I'm just hoping my new place doesn't have the same airborne nasties my last address did!
:chug:

NRB!

Just had to let you quickly know how great this beer is. I kegged and filtered the brew that I brewed a week ago and took a few bottles around to a lunch of 18 people ranging in ages from 18 to 55 and of both sexes. The comments were mind-blowing and I had to duck home and bring the keg around. One of the oldest guys said, "I can honestly say that this is three times nicer than the best beer I have ever had."

This was the one where I buggered up and put the flavour hop addition in first due to a mis-read of your recipe. This actually turned out even better balanced than the first one.

This is definitely going to remain a permanent fixture in my fridge. I love it and have also given it a special mention in the first post of the new A Guide to All-Grain Brewing In A Bag

Thanks a heap for this recipe mate and wishing you a total absence of airborne nasties.

:super:
Pat

Mine's bubbling away and will hopefully be as well received as yours.

As a nit-picking aside, you've linked to the recipe as "All American APA" when it's actually "All Amarillo APA" ;)

Glad someone else has had some pleasure from something so simple in reality.

Cheers,
Nick

Have fixed the link up Nick. Thanks for the heads up mate.

Man I love that beer. Look forward to hearing how your above batch goes.

Cheers
Pat

LOL! I have broadband back on now and just saw Jye and InCider's posts :rolleyes: Amazing what you miss on dial-up!

Just put my Amarillo ale down.

Triple A (All Amarillo Ale)

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.00 Wort Size (L): 23.00
Total Grain (kg): 5.10
Anticipated OG: 1.052 Plato: 12.96
Anticipated SRM: 5.6
Anticipated IBU: 30.5
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 27.06 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.045 SG 11.09 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
78.4 4.00 kg. Pilsener Germany 1.038 2
14.7 0.75 kg. Munich Malt I Germany 1.037 7
2.0 0.10 kg. Crystal 55L Great Britian 1.034 55
4.9 0.25 kg. Wheat Malt Belgium 1.038 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
25.00 g. Amarillo Pellet 8.90 10.6 20 min.
25.00 g. Amarillo Pellet 8.90 8.4 15 min.
25.00 g. Amarillo Pellet 8.90 6.3 10 min.
25.00 g. Amarillo Pellet 8.90 5.2 5 min.
25.00 g. Amarillo Pellet 8.90 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

US 56

NRB!

Just had to let you quickly know how great this beer is. I kegged and filtered the brew that I brewed a week ago and took a few bottles around to a lunch of 18 people ranging in ages from 18 to 55 and of both sexes. The comments were mind-blowing and I had to duck home and bring the keg around. One of the oldest guys said, "I can honestly say that this is three times nicer than the best beer I have ever had."

This was the one where I buggered up and put the flavour hop addition in first due to a mis-read of your recipe. This actually turned out even better balanced than the first one.

This is definitely going to remain a permanent fixture in my fridge. I love it and have also given it a special mention in the first post of the new A Guide to All-Grain Brewing In A Bag

Thanks a heap for this recipe mate and wishing you a total absence of airborne nasties.

:super:
Pat

Pat,
Just found your reply to NRB and have a couple of questions, hope you don't mind.
I have looked for this recipe in your post on BIAB hut have not been able to find it. I am yet to get my first BIAB going and was interested of your comments on this brew.
Also, how do you bottle your beer from the keg??

Sorry to be a pest

Regards
Richard
PS. Do you use an adjustable regulator on your 3 Ring burner???

I put a All amarillo blonde down on the weekend too :

4.8KG JW Pils
1.4KG JW Cara Pils
0.2KG JW Vienna

20g Amarillo 60mins
30g Amarillo 25mins
40g Amarillo Flameout

I was 45mins into the boil and my gas ran out si i just dumped in a whirfloc, dumped in the flameout addition and let it soak for 10mins. Hope it turns out OK. Seriously considering putting 300gm's honey in primary with it though.

Latest posts

Back