All Amarillo Apa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NRB

Reaction score
NRB's All Amarillo APA

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

06-A American Pale Ales, American Pale Ale

Min OG: 1.045 Max OG: 1.056
Min IBU: 20 Max IBU: 40
Min Clr: 9 Max Clr: 28 Color in EBC

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.00 Wort Size (L): 23.00
Total Grain (kg): 6.50
Anticipated OG: 1.058 Plato: 14.30
Anticipated EBC: 24.6
Anticipated IBU: 39.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 17.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 30.87 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.043 SG 10.79 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
76.9 5.00 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 38.00 8
15.4 1.00 kg. Weyermann Munich I Germany 38.00 19
7.7 0.50 kg. Weyermann Caraamber Germany 37.00 93

Potential represented as Points per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
26.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 9.50 5.7 5 min.
23.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 9.50 10.1 20 min.
18.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 9.50 23.5 60 min.

Yeast
-----

DCL US56

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain kg: 6.50
Water Qts: 14.35 - Before Additional Infusions
Water L: 13.58 - Before Additional Infusions

L Water Per kg Grain: 2.09 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Mash-out Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Sparge Temp : 0 Time: 0

Total Mash Volume L: 17.92 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Celsius.

Well, since nobody else has commented, I will. :D

The grain bill looks nice (I like Munich in an APA) though I think it could be a little lighter in gravity, maybe more like 1050. But if you want to keep the gravity as is, then a bit more hoppiness to balance it out. I'd say you need a ratio of BU:GU of more than 0.8 for this style and more hops are good. :chug:

BTW, I think you may have an old style version, because my version of Promash says 30-54IBUs for an APA. :unsure:

I did an apa with 5kg pale malt, 1kg munich malt and 1kg carapils. it came out nothing like a "to style" apa but it was bloody nice. all the laypersons I showed it to loved it. very well balanced hop:malt, which is I guess out of style for an apa, but it was a fantastic beer. I used simcoe and cascade for flavour and NB for bittering.

Hey Coodgee, how did it not turn out to style? Was your hopping too low? What was your BU:GU ratio?

The reason I ask is your malt bill looks a lot like the APA I'm thinking of making...

I brewed an all amarillo american wheat earlier this year, transgressed more style categories than I care to think of, but none the less produced probably my most drinkable beer of the the year.

Here she is:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Off the Wheaten Track
Brewer: wee stu
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Wheat or Rye Beer
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 28.36 L
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 3.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 30.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.19 kg Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 3.1 %
2.85 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) Grain 46.4 %
2.85 kg Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 46.4 %
0.25 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM) Grain 4.1 %
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.40%] (60 min) (First WorHops 20.3 IBU
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.40%] (10 min) Hops 6.7 IBU
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.40%] (5 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.40%] (0 min) Hops -
0.30 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Safale us-56 (DCL) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 6.14 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 16.02 L of water at 74.4 C 67.8 C 60 min

Notes:
------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the replies guys. I know that the Yanks and local competitions have pushed this style to something that is closer to an IPA with the hop levels they use, but I actually like love the flavour of an APA that is balanced. It may not be true to style, but it's how I like them. I much prefer SNPA over LCPA, although I haven't tried either in draught version.

Looking over the recipe, I realised my batch size was too small (should've been 24.5L) bringing the OG to 1.055 with 37.5 IBUs. I haven't brewed AG at all this year :ph34r: and I'm expecting a low efficiency. If not, I'll be doing a kettle dilution and change the hopping as required.

Wish me luck firing the burner up in anger tomorrow! I've been looking forward to this day for too long as I've only brewed a couple of times this year :(

Thanks for the replies guys. I know that the Yanks and local competitions have pushed this style to something that is closer to an IPA with the hop levels they use, but I actually like love the flavour of an APA that is balanced. It may not be true to style, but it's how I like them.

Agreed 100% on good balance, I find apas are best kept nice and light. Disagree that they're not true to style, I think they are.

Thanks for the replies guys. I know that the Yanks and local competitions have pushed this style to something that is closer to an IPA with the hop levels they use, but I actually like love the flavour of an APA that is balanced. It may not be true to style, but it's how I like them.

Agreed 100% on good balance, I find apas are best kept nice and light. Disagree that they're not true to style, I think they are.
I have to jump onto thins band wagon. I keep my apa to about 30ibu. I also use 95% Weyermann Munich 1 and 5% wheat malt to give it a really good strong malt base. Doesn't appeal to everyone but works a treat for me. I have the one 60 minute addition then a few late additions and always dry hop in secondary with a handful of pellets straight into the fermenter.

At least there's a few of us who aren't all about the hops. Yes the style is "hop driven", but I think beer should taste malty predominantly.

Well, I seem to have ruffled a few feathers there. Sorry if I was coming across as a style nazi. :unsure:

Basically, my thought was just that 1058 was a bit high for an APA. I tend to make this type of beer 1050 or less. My last one was 1044 with 36IBUs which I thought was about right for my tastes for an easy drinking beer. (Next time I may well make something different anyway.)

Personally, I do like to taste a fair whack of hops so most of those IBUs came from late additions but I brew lots of non-hoppy beers too. If a maltier beer is what you prefer then go for it. We're brewing for our tastes after all, one of the joys of brewing. :super:

No offense taken Stuster. I asked for feedback and you gave it. Speaking of which, I noticed you mentioned the style guidlelines being out of date - you're correct.

I was send a recipe similar to this from a friend. I used the old recipe as a base and modified from there. For some reason, the style guidelines are retained in the .rec file rather than using Promash itself fir the most up to date version.

I'm going to take all comments on board, reduce the gravity a little, add my personal preference hopping level and hopefully end up with something that I will enjoy over summer.

Well, since nobody else has commented, I will. :D

The grain bill looks nice (I like Munich in an APA) though I think it could be a little lighter in gravity, maybe more like 1050. But if you want to keep the gravity as is, then a bit more hoppiness to balance it out. I'd say you need a ratio of BU:GU of more than 0.8 for this style and more hops are good. :chug:

BTW, I think you may have an old style version, because my version of Promash says 30-54IBUs for an APA. :unsure:

Stuster,

I'm a little confused. When you said that your Promash indicated that the IBU's for an APA should be 30 - 54 IBU's , I had a look and for the three APA's on my Promash it says 20 - 40 for two styles and 35 - 45 for the other. I wonder what's going on here?

I also agree, I would knock the grain bill back a tad.

Regards,
Lindsay.

I think the style guidelines are being changed Lindsay, this is what I mean about the Yanks and comps blowing the style out.

I just realised I hadn't put in my saccaraification rest temp, infusion and 66C I'm shooting for.

I'm not sure about the reason for that, Lindsay. If you go to the main Promash page and click on the styles button at the bottom left, you get the style guidelines. If you are a registered user, they'll tell you when they update them or you can probably download new guidelines from the website. (Don't tell anybody but mine is still on trial mode. :eek: )

I'm sure it'll be a nice summer drinker, NRB. That last APA was an all amarillo too. :chug:

It's been too long Brett. I feel like a first time brewer! I mashed in 1C too hot but couldn't be bothered dropping the temp. I just left the lid open for 5 mins.

I now have to get to cleaning my fermenter - it's looking a little worse for wear...

G'day NRB!

I just spotted this thread and would like to send U my best wishes and hope that your brew day goes well.

Maybe it's like riding a bike, and you'll be back in the groove straight away.

Time for me to chill some beers for a tasting at lhbs , and I'll get some ingredients for a weizen, I reckon.

Beerz
Seth :p

FWIW
here is my all Amarillo apa made a while ago.

4.50 kg Powells Pilsner (Powells Malts) (3.0 EBC) Grain 82.6 %
0.40 kg Powells Caramalt (Powells Malt) (22.0 EBC) Grain 7.3 %
0.30 kg Powells Vienna (Powells Malts) (8.0 EBC) Grain 5.5 %
0.25 kg Powells Wheat (Powells Malts) (2.0 EBC) Grain 4.6 %
28.00 gm Amarrilo [8.90%] (60 min) Hops 26.9 IBU
14.00 gm Amarrilo [8.90%] (30 min) Hops 10.3 IBU
14.00 gm Amarrilo [8.90%] (5 min) Hops 2.7 IBU
1 Pkgs Thames Valley Ale Yeast II (Wyeast Labs #1882) [Starter 1500 ml] Yeast-Ale

Think I just had the vienna lying around?

anyway came out a treat.

All the best with your brew today NRB. :chug:

cheers
johnno

Hey Seth! It may be like riding a bike, but I think I've gone from riding a mountain bike back to a unicycle :blink:

My longest brewday in history has finally been completed and what a comedy of errors it was! First off, it actually wasn't 1C up on the mash, but 2C. I ended up mashing in at 68C ahh well. Then came the first runnings, 1.093 into the kettle. After sparging, I had my required volume, but my efficiency was up a lot more than expected - I had 1.051 preboil.

In went 4L of tap water to get closer to my target preboil gravity. Unfortunately my boil was a little more vigourous than previously and my final volume came in short with an obviously too high OG. I used the promash dilution calculator and added another 4L of tap water post boil (into the still stinking hot kettle) for my target.

Setup the CFWC, started draining to the fermenter, added the airstone and went to grab my starter... hmm, something not quite right about the aroma. Something not quite right about the taste. I hope I've got a sachet of yeast in the fridge!

I rumaged through my brewing yeast packs and found a solitary dry yeast sachet - S04 with a best before date of Sept 05. Stuck it in some warm water to rehydrate and it all looked good. Pitched into fermenter. Mashmaster temperature controller set to 19C (as it's sitting on a heat pad for the cold evenings) and fermenter enclosed in dead barfridge.

Clocked off 5:30 after starting at about 9:30-10am. Admittedly a mate came around with his new car, so there was about an hour or so downtime with the wort sitting in the kettle preboil.

Fingers crossed it turns out okay!

Cheers brewers! :beer:

Bad news on this one I'm afraid.

I transferred it to secondary a couple of weeks ago and bottled on Sunday. When I transferred to secondary, it was tasting absolutely bloody fantastic, but the sample I tried at the end of bottling was awful. This is the third brew that's come down with an infection and I'm not too happy. I think I might throw out all my plastic and start again; it's all too depressing. I will add that I'm pretty anal about cleaning and sanitation so I don't believe the fault is there, unless there's some ingrained bacteria within my transfer tubing or secondary fermenter.

I'm beginning to wonder if there's something in the air around here too - a large eucalypt in my back yard has a black growth on its leaves (I remember reading someone having troubles with something like this last year) and I have a heap of potted plants dying - their leaves are rolling up, some are dead.

Even if this was a Belgian style, there'd be no way anyone would drink it.

The other reason I'm considering airborn contaminants is the fact my starter was also infected, and this came nowhere near any of my other brewing areas, plus was actually sterile, not sanitised.

I think I'll also have a look at using phosphoric acid sanitiser instead of iodophor for a while.

Latest posts

Back