Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every can I've done in the past have worked flawlesly (over 300), however I think I stuffed up.

I was in a rush and maybe didn't wait quite long enough during Fermentation of my Red IPA. Carbed up in the keg and was good to go off the taps for a few weeks, then decided to fill some cans using my beer gun. We had a hot streak of warm days last week her in Perth, which seem to have kicked then cans back into fermentation and caused the lids to burst open.

Up side is I know my seams are all good, as it was the removable part of the lid that blew off.

Still happy as hell with the Canular.

Thanks for those photos. Yes that is exactly correct, your seam is prefect. When you get the cans pop the lids or pop up and deform before bursting this indicates your seam is stronger than the 90psi rating of the can. Most glass beer bottles are rated to the same pressure so even if you had this in glass you would have ended up with a similar problem. I know it's not always convenient and can take up a lot of storage space but you really can't beat keeping finished beer in the fridge.

Got my cannular and the included test can wasn't seamed correctly as it was leaking air when squeezed. I seamed one can myself and it held perfect. Then I did a low tech test by throwing a large rock at the bottom of the can. The bottom blew open and the top deformed but the seam held. Great to see it ready OOTB.

Last edited:
F24F8BDF-B619-44E7-8148-A9C2E6E819A3.jpeg
Was canning some light lagers last night when suddenly everything went dark.

When I un-tripped the switch in the house fuse box, the cannular didn’t turn on again. Heard the power supply whirring but the little light next to the 24v output wasn’t lighting (see photo attached, light is on the right). Can’t get the lid off the power supply too look if anything seems wrong.

Took off the cover of the cannular and couldn’t see any obvious signs of problems.

I’m not savvy with electricals (cannular and power supply second hand, I didn’t wire it up). I’m hoping the green light on the power supply not working means that’s what’s buggered not the cannular.

Any suggestions about how to check?

Thanks

How many breweries have the full aperture can? That really limits your buying choices to a couple doesn't it????
Apparently the full aperture lids can’t be supplied for retail as cans must have a captured opening (for littering concerns apparently)

View attachment 122162Was canning some light lagers last night when suddenly everything went dark.

When I un-tripped the switch in the house fuse box, the cannular didn’t turn on again. Heard the power supply whirring but the little light next to the 24v output wasn’t lighting (see photo attached, light is on the right). Can’t get the lid off the power supply too look if anything seems wrong.

Took off the cover of the cannular and couldn’t see any obvious signs of problems.

I’m not savvy with electricals (cannular and power supply second hand, I didn’t wire it up). I’m hoping the green light on the power supply not working means that’s what’s buggered not the cannular.

Any suggestions about how to check?

Thanks
If you have a circuit tester or multimeter you need to check the red and black wires to make sure that you have power there when power is going to the power supply (remember that it is 24v here). Also if you have a multimeter check that the polarity is correct on the wires (red probe on the red wire & black on black)
If there’s no power on these then the power supply might be stuffed. Have a look at the power supply (turn the power off first) and see if there’s a fuse in it
If there is power there than maybe you might need a sparky to have a look at it
If there is power there and the machine still won’t start up try calling kegland they might have an idea as what might be wrong

Tripped main fuse is circuit overloaded/shorted, I'd say the power supply has released its magic smoke. As Bg ^ says check for 24v, but with no little green light I doubt you'll have it. At a guess something in the power supply has burnt out/shorted causing the fuse to trip, but is now open circuit so the fuse reset is successful but the power supply is dead. Usual caveat with tricity, if your not sure what you're doing find someone that does, probably cheaper to just buy a new one. Not 100% sure but that brick looks like the original one that KL sold for the cannular, I believe they discontinued it and now offer a different one.

Do these power supplies have a replaceable fuse that could have blown?

Do these power supplies have a replaceable fuse that could have blown?
Yes they do have a fuse, my power supply went poof first time I used it. Pictures attached. Various other components were fried as well. It was wired correctly and I had it checked over to identify the broken components by a competent electronics friend. Didn't work when I changed the fuse..

I'd look at two things check that the slider on the side is set to 240V ( if you using that voltage) then open it up once unplugged. Fuse is on bottom left corner when the connectors are nearest to you if I remember. I got a replacement from Jaycar you will need to solder it in.
After trying new components to replace the bits that were cooked beyond the fuse I had no joy and got a full refund.

Regarding testing the canning machine If you have an 18v drill battery or 24V then you can attach positive and negative to your input of the cannular and that should get you going or at least show some light. The maltzilla uses the same power supply and thats how I run it now that I got a refund on the PSU. The wait for a new power upply was too long given the supply chain delays to NZ in 2020. It's a 20amp 24 V DC supply so these are available from other sources.
24V psu .jpg

Thanks for your help everyone, I just ordered a replacement power supply off Amazon - $50 and arrives tomorrow.

Will let you know how I go…

Has the Amazon one got the right power and wattage?
The cannular runs 24v and I think 40 watts

Yeah, it’s 24v DC and 20a, same as the Kegland one.

And thankfully it was just the power supply that didn’t turn on - no fan or light. Still need to find out if the cannular is okay…

Where r u. I’m in Ballarat Vic & think I’ve got. 24v 20 amp at home, but won’t be home till Monday arvo

I’ve got a mate looking for a canning machine/sealer any for sale out there for sale?

Is he in Melbourne? I am selling the tap cooler, cans and Manual machine for $450

Tap cooler canning device, counter pressure filler, the works.
About 290 cans
Manual Cannular
Spacer for cans.

Total deal is so cheap because the manual canner does not have the outer frame. So i got it for a bargain, so passing it on for the same price.
Has not impacted operation at all. Send me DM.
I'm based in Doncaster.

EDIT: Its listed on Facebook if they want to check there.

Howdy
I have a brand new never used manual seamer for $350 if he is interested PM me. I'm in Williams Landing 3027
My mate has to save up first so I’ll repost when he feels he has enough coin
He’s definitely after the semi auto version

So I received my new KL power supply this afternoon, wired it up this evening, and the cannular is working a treat.

Thanks everyone who provided advice.

If anyone wants the old one with the blown fuse, let me know. I’m based in inner west Sydney

Back