Ale FG too high

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trent0

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have been brewing different with 750g- 1kg blends from my home brew shop guy, he recommends a FG at 1010, ( after 7 days) in this weather in QLD.
I have never reached that low. Consequently my beer rarely tastes flash, is it due to the higher temp?,( i cant control my fermenter temp, although it generally sits at 25-26 deg.
Any suggestions to get the FG lower?
Thanks

How low is your FG?

What yeast are you using?

Yes, you are fermenting to high and it will be affecting the flavour of your beer.

The FG comes out 1015 usually, after 7 days.
Then i put in the cube for 2 days before kegging.
The yeast comes with the can from the Home brew shop.

Will it help to use more yeast ?

Could try a different yeast next time. us-05 is popular and easy to use.

Are you testing with the hydrometer and getting 1015 for 3 consecutive days to ensure fermentation is finished? ( although at those temps i'd be surprised if it wasn't ).

How much maltodextrin is in the blends?

Thanks for reply,
Its called brew booster 750g
Malt, dextrose and corn syrup, does not mention ratio .
So not controlling the temp is the problem?
I do check hydrometer after 7 days but only the once

Not controlling the temp is a problem. As a rule of thumb ale yeast makes good beer at 18-20c.

You need to take hydro the readings to ensure the beer really is at FG. When fermentation is finished, you also need to leave it for a couple more days at fermentation temp for the yeast to reabsorb unwanted fermentation products.

There are ways to drop your ferm temps without a fridge. Plenty of info about that if you do a search on this site.

Do that, and leave your beer for longer and you will be surprised how much better it is.

Edit- Also look up calibrating you hydrometer and have a squiz at this -

http://www.brewersfriend.com/hydrometer-temp/

Need some advice. Brewed my second partial last weekend, an Irish Red Ale, and hit SG of 1040 (just above target of 1038). For the first time I tried a liquid yeast, the British Ale (1038 from memory). It was a 24L brew and pitched according to instructions and being kept at a constant 19 degrees. All started ok and saw surface action within 24 hours.

However over subsequent days the fermentation didn't really ramp up and didn't get any sizeable krausen that I'm used to seeing with dry yeast (ie. I could still see the colour of the wort through the glad wrap). After 5 days all is quiet and the glad wrap has sunk back down but the FG has only reached 1018. I'm not confident at this stage that it will get down to targeted FG of 1010. Is this a common issue for liquid yeast? Should i rouse it up a bit or lift the temp? Forced ferment test? Thanks.

Sufficient, healthy liquid yeast in properly aerated wort will attenuate similarly to dry, all else being equal. Some uk yeasts do get lazy towards the end and need some encouragement. I'd try all the things you mentioned.

"Properly aerated" is a key requirement for full attenuation

To encourage the yeast you might try rousing the yeast by gently swirling the fermenter

Have given it a gentle stir and a couple of hours later the cling wrap has bubbled back up. Will see how it is going in a couple more days.

Righto. Gave the fermenter a good stir and also did a forced ferment test. Both have only got down to 1016 giving me 3.15% ABV. It is also lacking a bit in body.

Is there anything to be done or should I just accept that I have brewed a mid strength and move on?

Coopers Amber Extract 1.5L
CaraRed 0.5kg
Crystal 0.6kg
CaraMunich 0.6kg
CaraVienna 1.0kg

60 min boil
Fuggles 50g @ 45 mins
EKG 25g @ 15 mins

Bristish Ale 1068 liquid yeast
24L batch
SG 1040

Ahhh right. Not sure if I have that right as I read off of my beersmith recipe and I went for the closest match. I got bulk grains milled at the LHBS. Certainly CaraRed and CaraMunich but the Vienna wasn't CaraVienna to the best of my knowledge. Does that make a difference? (I'm a little unclear as just starting out with grains).

On a phone and retiring ill for the evening but happy to answer in detail tomorrow if you give me a prompt.
Not all grains are the same though - some, cara/crystal types especially provide a fair whack of unfermentable sugar. Good for body and mouthfeel, less good for high attenuation levels. You've used close to 6x what I would recommend.

Vienna is different to caravienne, yes. If it was vienna, that would be proper partial mashing and less total cara (still way too much and the likely cause of your issue).

What do people think of trying to save this with boiling 500g of DME and adding? Then leave for another week. Been in there 10 days so far.

Back