• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Aldi specials

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aldi now sell craft beer! At $4 for 500mL bottles, the price is right. Lets see how they fare.

Circadian IPA.

Product of the UK
4.5% ABV
I'm guessing 35-40 IBU
Medium hop aroma

It's more like an APA really, but certainly quaffable. 3/5. Would buy again.

i0F94SE.jpg

Coming up next. Medusa Ruby Red Ale and Pedigree Amber Ale.

Medusa Ruby Red Ale is like an Irish red ale.
5.0% ABV
Dark copper in colour.
Light-medium body
heavy toffee on the nose.
4/5.

Pedigree Amber Ale
4.5%
Light amber in colour
Nothing to speak about really.
2/5

I bought the Boddies and Tetley tins, can't begin to express my disappointment the Boddies was a terrific beer when I was living in the UK, Tetley was a nice bitter also. Neither of them tasted of anything but both are full of nitrogen induced smoothness.

I bought the Boddies and Tetley tins, can't begin to express my disappointment the Boddies was a terrific beer when I was living in the UK, Tetley was a nice bitter also. Neither of them tasted of anything but both are full of nitrogen induced smoothness.

Thought the same, pretty much tasteless. Wonder were they are brewed.

I tried a Boddington's can last year and it was utter crap. Tasted like sucking on a cardboard box.

Next week Aldi has soGermanman pilsner and weizen on special :)

Cheers
Stefan

If they are the same as last time - the Pilsner is a reasonable German pilsner.
The Weizen had a strange burnt flavor to it but I don't really drink wheat beers so maybe it's just me.

oktoberfest beers coming up at aldi in nsw.... not having tried any before, which would others recommend are the best of the beers on offer?

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-...au_product_newsletter&pk_kwd=2018-09-20_11-05

I have tried each of them and the Oktoberfest beers are very nice and good examples of German lagers.
If, however you like beers with lots of hops they are not for you.
They are great lagers with a nice malt flavor. Unfortunately the best of the offering in the 4 pack is missing the Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest beer which was the best pick of the bunch. The Loewenbraeu and Hofbraeu Haus are OK but the Spaten and Paulaner are likely to be the better beers.

If you are into German wheat beers then the Paulaner is IMHO one of the best German wheat beers available.
Generally speaking if you like a beer that is not overly hoppy and you like Lagers, the German beers are very good and while produced by very large companies, I would put them into a different league than the local lagers, especially given the fact they don't use additives beyond hops, yeast, malt and water in their beers to produce a nice beverage.

I hope they will have a reasonable stock of the Paulaner Oktoberfest biers as I need a few for late October.
If you like Wheat beers then the keg is a good option with a few friends.
The "Helle" is basically the standard lager they drink and while it is brewed well, I prefer the Oktoberfest beers.

Cheers

Roland

I have tried each of them and the Oktoberfest beers are very nice and good examples of German lagers.
If, however you like beers with lots of hops they are not for you.
They are great lagers with a nice malt flavor. Unfortunately the best of the offering in the 4 pack is missing the Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest beer which was the best pick of the bunch. The Loewenbraeu and Hofbraeu Haus are OK but the Spaten and Paulaner are likely to be the better beers.

If you are into German wheat beers then the Paulaner is IMHO one of the best German wheat beers available.
Generally speaking if you like a beer that is not overly hoppy and you like Lagers, the German beers are very good and while produced by very large companies, I would put them into a different league than the local lagers, especially given the fact they don't use additives beyond hops, yeast, malt and water in their beers to produce a nice beverage.

I hope they will have a reasonable stock of the Paulaner Oktoberfest biers as I need a few for late October.
If you like Wheat beers then the keg is a good option with a few friends.
The "Helle" is basically the standard lager they drink and while it is brewed well, I prefer the Oktoberfest beers.

Cheers

Roland

I DO like a good wheat so thanks for that info. ill try and beat the local hordes to get myself some. cheers

High-jack sorry Aldi.

This is a nice wheat, balanced.
https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_1517/sch-fferhofer-hefeweizen-500ml

This is a tasty Pilsner, not to hopped and you cannot go wrong @ under$2 per 500 ml

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_916901/oettinger-pils-cans-500ml

Oooh! 2 nice beers there and the Oettinger is cheap. Thanks for that. I'll be off to Dan's tomorrow night.
edit: wait not sure if I like the Oettinger - oh WTF.
The Schofferhofer is one of only a few wheat beers I do like.

i will get myself the whole lot :) the 5l kegs are great, loewenbraeu Paulaner, Hofbraeuhaus, etc. that's the right time to get some good Bavarian beers

cheers
stefan

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be getting a dozen of the Paulaner 500ml bottles.
Best commercial Lager...ever. It was previously available at danmurphy but only the 1lt can w/glass stein, making it about $20 per litre.
Which Paulaner there are two types on sale at Aldi?

Back