Aldi fermenting freezer/fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty274

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I noticed aldi have bar fridges and upright freezers cheap at the moment.

The 120L bar fridge looks like it might be a bit tight to get a fermenter in there?

Bit hard to tell with the 81L freezer?

Anyone used one of these before or knows the internal dimensions?

Thanks Rusty.

I don't know about the dimensions, but which Aldi stores are selling these? Looked on their website and no-such mention.

FWIW I've got an Aldi chest freezer which has been going strong for well over 12 months as a freezer.

As far as bar fridges go, you can use them very successfully as a fermenting fridge, you just need to ferment in a cube. I did this for ages until my fermenting bar fridge turned up it's toes.

JD

Since Wednesday in QLD, possibly other states.

I saw them at the blacktown, NSW store on thursday night...Didnt take dimensions or price

Might have to pop in to the local Aldi and have a look then. I'm in the market for a new fermenting fridge.

That looks like it. I don't have the catalogue in front of me but I think the brand or model was called Stirling?

What do you think would work better with a stc1000?

I haven't fermented in a cube before. Sounds messy? Or do you transfer from a no chill to a larger cube?

I got one of the first Aldi fridges from years and years ago, it still runs perfectly fine.

Personally i would go for the freezer before the bar fridge. I have this assumption that it would be more energy efficient with a temp controller just because it does not work as hard to get to lower temp.

Just an assumption though....

beercus

I was thinking the freezer might have a bit more room?

I'm not sure where the motor is? But small fridges usually have the motor down the bottom which sometimes makes it a bit hard to sit the fermenter flat if your struggling with space.

beercus said:
Personally i would go for the freezer before the bar fridge. I have this assumption that it would be more energy efficient with a temp controller just because it does not work as hard to get to lower temp.

Just an assumption though....

beercus
I don't think that is the case. They run different gases, one will be for temps around the 0-4*C mark and the other for sub zero. If you want to run the sub zero gas to over 0 temps then it will not be as efficient as the fridge gas. That is what my fridgy told me during the week when I asked him the exact question about using a fridge or freezer.

rusty274 said:
I was thinking the freezer might have a bit more room?

I'm not sure where the motor is? But small fridges usually have the motor down the bottom which sometimes makes it a bit hard to sit the fermenter flat if your struggling with space.
The freezer looks to be 81L and the fridge is 120L from the OP

heyhey said:
I don't think that is the case. They run different gases, one will be for temps around the 0-4*C mark and the other for sub zero. If you want to run the sub zero gas to over 0 temps then it will not be as efficient as the fridge gas. That is what my fridgy told me during the week when I asked him the exact question about using a fridge or freezer.
I'd like to see some evidence that running a freezer as a fridge is less efficient.
Freezers have better insulation, so lose less energy and are more efficient in that regard.
The freezer refrigeration system is designed to reach lower temps (20 K lower) so would likely have a different gas to get down that low. They'd probably have a more powerful compressor to pump more energy into it.
Seeing as they only have to get to 4°C then the compressor would stop running far sooner, which means less energy used.
So more efficient chamber, compressor run much less of the time... I fail to see how running the freezer out of it's designated range could be less efficient overall. I'd be buying the freezer.

TheWiggman said:
I'd like to see some evidence that running a freezer as a fridge is less efficient.
Freezers have better insulation, so lose less energy and are more efficient in that regard.
The freezer refrigeration system is designed to reach lower temps (20 K lower) so would likely have a different gas to get down that low. They'd probably have a more powerful compressor to pump more energy into it.
Seeing as they only have to get to 4°C then the compressor would stop running far sooner, which means less energy used.
So more efficient chamber, compressor run much less of the time... I fail to see how running the freezer out of it's designated range could be less efficient overall. I'd be buying the freezer.
Just going off what I was told. Supposedly the gas difference make running the freezer as at 20*C less efficient operation of the motor than the fridge. I don't know why or how, just what I was told by the fridgeman that came to service my aircons. There is thermal efficiency (ability to retain temp) and then there is energy efficiency of operating the motor for a required temp, so the net difference is probably negligible.

Not challenging you, genuinely curious to see evidence. I'd go the freezer if only based on their chilling performance. You know they're going to get down to -1°C for a crash chill, whereas a fridge is going to be working pretty hard.

Ok lads,

I went out today and got the 81ltr freezer.

It's a no go. The shelves have the freezing elements in them so you can't remove them to fit the fermenter.

Hope i can return it!

Bah, I was going to mention that! Sorry man.
If getting a freezer it needs to be a chest freezer (i.e. door at the top). Every front door example I've seen has condensors running with the drawers and can't be used for fermentation.

However... hop freezer?

Latest posts

Back