Alcopop Excise To Include Kriek Etc.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brendanos,

I don't have any faith in the government putting new tax dollars into the area they are taxing.

Maybe a small portion would go to the issue, of which only a smaller portion will be usefull IMO.

I reckon the government will introduce any new tax they feel they can get away with, just to boost their revenue. Having a social problem that the tax can be blamed on just minimises the complaints.

They are mostly scum, and those who aren't are unfortunately forced to 'move with the mob' to stay in a party to hopefully make a difference one day.

Alright got all that off my chest.... just needed to rant.

On the issue of further taxing specialty and import beers due to their brewing style or finished product is silly and misinformed. Of course that doesn't mean they won't all go ahead with it anyway.

To push the 'drink less, drink better' motto from the 'fair go for craft brewers' rally, how about taxing any drink that can be considered 'bogan' - UDL/Ruskies/LollyWaters/Bourbon&Coke/etc... then putting that tax money towards reducing the cost of any drink that can be considered 'wanky' - LaFinDuMonde/Rochefort10/TripleKarmeliet/etc... and push people onto the 'better' drinks. They'll drink less, because they're too fine to swill, and they'll gain an appreciation for something with flavour. Solves the problem, and keeps me happy. Win-Frickin'-Win.

Of course I realise that my definitions of 'bogan' and 'wanky' are subjective. That's why it's funny.

Just ban them outright.

I mean... it worked so well for marijuana...

But seriously, how about not taxing any of them and just let people buy what they want? I mean, if you seriously want to get drunk for the lowest possible $$$ there is always the cheap port - $5 for 750ml of 18% alcohol. Of course, this idea goes against the whole "big brother know's best" mentality infesting the world at the moment.

Another article on dropping alco-pop sales, and the counter arguement that more beer is being consumed instead.

Not that it bothers any of us, you cant beat a good HB.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25123778-421,00.html

Side note to that, i read somewhere that alcohol associated admissions to hospital have not changed either. Sure Alco-pop sales are down, everything else is probably marginally up. :rolleyes:

Side note to that, i read somewhere that alcohol associated admissions to hospital have not changed either. Sure Alco-pop sales are down, everything else is probably marginally up. :rolleyes:

Bet you can guarantee that sales of bottles of spirits are up. Some of the 'two for one' deals I've seen at Liquorland and Safeway Liquor are going pretty low, so the discounting would have to have some effect.

Darn tempting for a underage young-un with a bunch of mates out the front of the supermarket - you'd pool your money then go - oh what the hell it's cheaper if we all get two bottles of bourbon/rum/scotch etc!

Hopper.

Latest posts

Back