Airlock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

googe

Reaction score
G'day all, second newbie question lol. The kit i got doesnt have an airlock, it has a little tab that im guessing you can put one in. The lid just sits on top and doesnt screw on. Its the new coopers one. Ive done 4 brews and its worked fine so im guessing they have perfected there fermenters to not have a bubble airlock. My question is, is it more accurate to use sight (eg bubbler) or is it more accurate to use the FG?. Thanks Greg

Airlocks a fairly useless and the only way to guarantee fermentation is complete is to measure the FG as constant over a few days. Pressure can always leak out around the seal on the airlock.

dont worry about an airlock at all. definatly use the hydrometer for measuring the fg it is the only accurate way to do it.
I dont use a lid or airlock at all and neither do a lot of other brewers on this forum, glad wrap is a much better solution most of the time.

Always, ALWAYS, ensure you have a stable FG within the expected range for three days before bottling.
Even better leave your beer for another week after FG is stable for a much cleaner beer.
Cheers
Nige

P.S. Welcome to the obsession! :icon_chickcheers:

. My question is, is it more accurate to use sight (eg bubbler) or is it more accurate to use the FG?. Thanks Greg

That's a bit like asking if it's more accurate using a tape measure or guesstimating what 6mm looks like.

Cheers fella's, tought that might be the case. Ive read alot on here that many people use glad wrap, will have to give it a go. Thanks Nige :) will try that. Most of what ive read it says FG of 1010-1008 is good, all mine have been 1008 but the pale ale i did was 1004. Its only 15 days old but taste 10 times better than the others ive got that are 20-30 dyas old. Why would it have had a lower FG?. Sorry for all the questions!!. Im hooked now!!!! lol.

Cheers Greg

I can't see a point using gladwrap if you have the new style coopers FV

The lower fg is "probabbly" due to the kit + sugars used have more fermentable sugars in them (as opposed to sugars that don't ferment out & add to the sweetness of the beer) - so the beer will probbly have a more dryer feel to it - might be why you like it better than previous brews.

The pale ale may alo be more hoppier ... contributing more to the taste of the beer - may also explain why you like it more.

Keep asking & keep brewing ... it's a great way to learn & you enjoy yourself at the same time! :)

I can't see a point using gladwrap if you have the new style coopers FV

+1

The Coopers DIY kit lid does it's job just fine, so why would you use something else? Glad wrap is useful for fermenters where the Krusen reaches the lid, but with my DIY kit and Krusen Kollar it hasn't reached anywhere near the top of the fermenter... not even the toucan stout caused a problem. Certainly stick with the supplied lid.

Cheers Rob, i used dextros and brewers #1 in the other brew's and brewer#2 in the ale. It does taste alot drier :). Thanks for the info mate.

Cheers Greg

Back