Airlock Allergic To Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Howard

Reaction score
G'day guys,

Just got into brewing and put down my first brew on Thursday morning. (Brewcraft Munich Lager and Brew Enhancer #15)

I did a search but couldn't find a specific answer to my problem but I'm finding that I'm having to keep a close eye on the airlock because riotous bubbling is shooting the water out at a rapid rate. (The yeast is doing me PROUD!)

This is probably a normal thing...and I've been refilling with cooled boiled water when it's getting low but I figured I'd ask.

Does everyone else using airlocks do the same?

Cheers,

Adam.

G'day guys,

Just got into brewing and put down my first brew on Thursday morning. (Brewcraft Munich Lager and Brew Enhancer #15)

I did a search but couldn't find a specific answer to my problem but I'm finding that I'm having to keep a close eye on the airlock because riotous bubbling is shooting the water out at a rapid rate. (The yeast is doing me PROUD!)

This is probably a normal thing...and I've been refilling with cooled boiled water when it's getting low but I figured I'd ask.

Does everyone else using airlocks do the same?

Cheers,

Adam.

hi mate,

it has happened to me but not often.. what yeast u used and and at what temp pitched and what current temp. it wont be much of an issue if actual fernmention has occured thus acting as a "barrier' to wild yeasts, however keep sealed or covered as much as possible

cheers
matt

hi mate,

it has happened to me but not often.. what yeast u used and and at what temp pitched and what current temp. it wont be much of an issue if actual fernmention has occured thus acting as a "barrier' to wild yeasts, however keep sealed or covered as much as possible

cheers
matt
Yeah, my last batch that I used an airlock for did that... Problem was it fermented at too high a temperature and it tastes more like fruit punch than a beer... its a long shot from the little creatures bright ale which it was supposed to taste like.

Just keep it topped up. As long as there is that water to act as a barrior to airbournes between the CO2 on top of the brew and the air, it'll be fine.

On a temperature note, if you don't want it tasting like fruit punch, look into a way to get the temps around 20 degrees (18-22 if possible), if it is an ale that you are brewing. Lagers are done at lower temps, but I haven't done any yet... maybe someone who is a lagerer could fill you in, or google it if need be.

There are a number of things you can do to keep the temp down. Ideally, a fridge with a thermostat controller (fridemate, tempmate), or a broken down fridge with some frozen bottles/ice packs (works well from experience). If worse comes to worse, drape a damp towel over it like a skirt and blow a fan on it. If you have enough room in the recess of the lid, keep it topped up with water/ice and watch the towel suck it up and form a cooling blanket over your brew. I've done this and it works better than just having it sit there at 25+degrees.

I took the advice of numerous threads on AHB and used glad wrap instead. You basically put a single/double layer of glad wrap over the opening and secure it with the gasket taken out of the lid. No messing around with the air lock and its nice and clear to watch what's going on. Any extra CO2 produced seeps out so no need to put holes in the glad wrap.

On a temperature note, if you don't want it tasting like fruit punch, look into a way to get the temps around 20 degrees (18-22 if possible), if it is an ale that you are brewing. Lagers are done at lower temps, but I haven't done any yet... maybe someone who is a lagerer could fill you in, or google it if need be.

Yeah mate,

Pretty sure the yeast in the Munich lager kit is an Ale yeast (to make it easier to brew) but if it is a lager yeast then 18-22 may be highish?

I've actually been keeping it at between 18-20 degrees the whole time.. It certainly isn't on the high end of the range that's why I was puzzled. I wondered why even at the recommended temp it was going bananas!

I'll just keep an eye on it. It seems to have got to a water level now where it's happy.

Yeah mate,

Pretty sure the yeast in the Munich lager kit is an Ale yeast (to make it easier to brew) but if it is a lager yeast then 18-22 may be highish?

I've actually been keeping it at between 18-20 degrees the whole time.. It certainly isn't on the high end of the range that's why I was puzzled. I wondered why even at the recommended temp it was going bananas!

I'll just keep an eye on it. It seems to have got to a water level now where it's happy.
Yeah, I think lagers are supposed to be around the 10-12 degree mark.

Let us know how it comes out.

Does anybody know if the kit yeast in Brewcraft's Munich lager is an Ale or Lager yeast?

In the last couple of days the airlock has slowed it's bubbling hugely (I can stand and watch it for 5 minutes without it bubbling) so I have taken readings with the hydrometer to see if it's ready to bottle (7 days brewing so far) and it's still reading between 1020 and 1010...

Ambient temp had creeped up in Gembrook these past few days so I'm worried that if the kit yeast was a lager yeast it may have....got a bit upset! Hah.

Any help would be appreciated. Sooner I get the homebrew shed built with fridge setup the better!

Cheers. :icon_cheers:

Between 1020 & 1010 isn't really that specific. I usually discard the first test tube full when I take hydro readings as alot of the time it has a bit of trub in it so it gives you a false reading. Take 3 readings in a row (over 3 days) and if you have the same reading (around your expected FG) then bottle it.

Between 1020 & 1010 isn't really that specific. I usually discard the first test tube full when I take hydro readings as alot of the time it has a bit of trub in it so it gives you a false reading. Take 3 readings in a row (over 3 days) and if you have the same reading (around your expected FG) then bottle it.

Yeah I know it isn't specific. Bit hard atm because bubbles accumulate quite fast on the meter and lift it up. I have been discarding half a tube before taking a measure. It's a bog standard lager kit with Brew Enhancer #15 so it should be finishing below 1010 for sure.

In other news I wrapped a wet towel around it with 2 ice bricks and the airlock suddenly came to lift and started to bubble again....strange.

So the Brewcraft supplied hydrometer has been reading in the black area (pretty much bang on 1010) for a couple of days. Should be ready to bottle right, but I feel that's a bit too high. My OG was 1040 due to a slight dilution of the wort so I'd be thinking it should be lower than 1010 before bottling.

First brew so I want to avoid bottle bombs!

Latest posts

Back