Air Returning Into The Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deevee

Brewing Daisy beers
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a silly (well maybe) question. Usually when I brew, I chill the fermenter in the fridge for at least a week? Noticably when it is chilling, the airlock bubbles in reverse which tells me air is returning into the fermenter. I do ferment 20 litres in a 27 litre fermenter and have a good amount of headspace for the CO2 to protect it but is it possible that the air could eventualy mixed up into the green beer?

Thanks in advance,

Deevee

Hi there,

I have a silly (well maybe) question. Usually when I brew, I chill the fermenter in the fridge for at least a week? Noticably when it is chilling, the airlock bubbles in reverse which tells me air is returning into the fermenter. I do ferment 20 litres in a 27 litre fermenter and have a good amount of headspace for the CO2 to protect it but is it possible that the air could eventualy mixed up into the green beer?

Thanks in advance,

Deevee
IMHO I would be much more concerned about sucking the liquid back in ! In the big picture it would only be a tiny amount of O2 going into the fermentor.I use these dry air locks, no liquid problems at all.
GB

I also chill my fermenter so I can use Polyclar to remove any chill haze. My fridge doesn't have enough headroom for an airlock as well so I usually just put a 'spile' of screwed up clean kitchen towel into the airlock grommet. After ten or so brews using this method, works like a charm.

Main problem is the water as Mr Gryphon suggests.

Provided you don't agitate the fermenter, I doubt you'll get any oxygenation, due to air being less dense than CO2. If you do get any oxygenation it won't be noticeable at all.

I always use cheap vodka in my airlocks. Have occassionally had some sucked back into the fermenter with no ill effects.

Mick

I fill my airlock with no rinse sanitizer, never had any probs.

Lachlan

I chill in the fermenter too but remove the airlock and rub a piece of duct tape down well over the grommet & hole.

Thanks guys. I've always chilled the fermenter and haven't noticed any problems but out of curiosity I've asked this question. I've sometimes had the water accidently go back in but didn't noticed any problems, so what I do is only fill minimal water in the airlock, Otherwise I have another fermenter which I just stick tape over it and have a little pin hole to let the C02 go out (Do double batches).

cheers Again

I also chill my fermenter so I can use Polyclar to remove any chill haze. My fridge doesn't have enough headroom for an airlock as well so I usually just put a 'spile' of screwed up clean kitchen towel into the airlock grommet. After ten or so brews using this method, works like a charm.
Could also be worth looking at a blow off tube, bit safer than the tea towel, and perfect for tight situations. I've been using one for ages as my top fermenter has the same issue in the fridge.

QldKev

Latest posts

Back