Ahtanum

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbock

Braugesell
Reaction score
Hi brewers,

I have a 90g sachet of Ahtanum in the freezer which I am looking forward to trying it out. A lot of the descriptions I have read state that it is similar to Cascade, and from one of Ross's posts I expect strong citrus-like (tangerine?) flavour.

I am wondering whether this is a hop that is suitable for flavour/aroma additions only, or could I use to for bittering as well?
I have not yet seen a recipe in which anyone has used it for anything other than flavour..

I would like to hear from anyone who has used Ahtanum and what they thought of it, as I have no idea how to make the best of this one. I am thinking of making an APA or possibly an AIPA.

One thing I won't be doing is hopbursting, mainly because I don't have a huge array of hops; But I do have some Chinook which I thought might complement it.

Hi Blackbock,

You can use any hop for bittering. It's up to you whether using a low alpha hop is worthwhile (i.e if it has very low cohumulone). Athanum is fairly high cohumulone so it'd be up to you, such as if you want to do a one-hop beer.
I'd probably use something like chinook or centennial for bittering in an APA.

MFS.

Used it heaps, great for bitterness and flavour. Have 5kg that will be used for brewing in the next few weeks.

Did not get the citrus of cascade, but perhaps due to how I was hoping for flavour.

Scotty

I've used it in the past. I must say I am not a huge fan. In my opinion its got quite a sharp flavour, even getting on for Chinook or the like, but is also piney. I have just come to the conclusion that there's a reason why cascade is the most popular American hop, and that's because its bloody hard to beat! Ahtanum is a weak substitute at best, and even then I wouldn't really even call it a substitute...

Well worth trying all the same, I don't want to scare you off! :p

I have to confess to being dissapointed with ahtanum, I found it to be rather bland compared to the more popular american hops.

cheers

Browndog

A very good hop IMHO. If you like cascade this is a good one to try. It is not a sub for cascade but has somewhat similar characteristics. Special qualities of it's own,(makes you sleep) like all varieties.

Used it in a lot of APA's when I first started AG a few years ago. Also did not use software then. Do have notes of recipes.

As T.D said it can get somewhat piney and resiney. All peronal preferance I suppose.One beer I do remember it being awesome in was a rye IPA. Always wanted to make this one again but have not got around to it as yet.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.9 EBC) Grain 64.10 %
1.40 kg Rye Malt (9.3 EBC) Grain 17.95 %
0.50 kg Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC) Grain 6.41 %
0.45 kg Carapils (Hoepfner) (3.9 EBC) Grain 5.77 %
0.45 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBC) Grain 5.77 %
56.00 gm Ahtanum [5.70 %] (60 min) Hops 30.1 IBU
28.00 gm Ahtanum [5.70 %] (50 min) Hops 14.3 IBU
28.00 gm Ahtanum [5.70 %] (30 min) Hops 11.6 IBU
28.00 gm Ahtanum [5.70 %] (5 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
28.00 gm Ahtanum [5.70 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.25 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Thames Valley Ale Yeast II (Wyeast Labs #1882) [Starter 1500 ml] Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.071 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.062 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.09 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 7.44 %
Bitterness: 59.0 IBU
Est Color: 24.1 EBC

Like johnno, I like this hop. Like johnno, I used it in a rye beer, in my case a rye APA. Not as brassy as Cascade, a more mellow hop (could just have been the recipe or the yeast though) but still definitely an American one. Anyway, might be worth trying it in a rye beer. :rolleyes:

Here's my recipe.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Rye Pale Ale
Brewer: Stuart Upton
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 24.51 L
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 13.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 37.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 86.00 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.Grain 71.43 %
1.00 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 23.81 %
0.20 kg Carawheat (Weyermann) (98.5 EBC) Grain 4.76 %
30.00 gm Ahtanum [5.70 %] (60 min) Hops 20.8 IBU
15.00 gm Ahtanum [5.70 %] (20 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
15.00 gm Ahtanum [5.70 %] (15 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
20.00 gm Ahtanum [5.70 %] (10 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
20.00 gm Ahtanum [5.70 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs Scottish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1728) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Stu's Mash up
Total Grain Weight: 4.20 kg
----------------------------
Stu's Mash up
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Step Add 12.60 L of water at 77.2 C 66.0 C
5 min Mash out Add 6.46 L of water at 87.3 C 72.0 C

Thanks to all those who posted their opinions and experiences.

Seems that some people can either take or leave this one, possibly one to try a couple of times to see if I like it before buying that 1kg bag :lol:

I think I will go with an APA rather than the IPA first up, just to get a feel for the flavours, and not be assaulted by them.
If I like it enough I might try a Rye, although that's something new for me.

Isn't it great that we can get and try out these rarer hops, rather than just being stuck with the standard Goldings/Hallertau etc that most brewing wholesalers stock. Thumbs up to Craftbrewer for the variety!

Back