Ahb's Community Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, OK, OK! You blokes just aren't keen to experiment

The thread just seemed to get bogged down with some of the extra bits and pieces. Maybe when the final recipe is formulated, each brewer could be granted the choice of one modification to the recipe. I might want to add coffee, others bourbon, oaks chips, some may well replace some of the base grain with extract (trying to include as many brewers as possible, nothing to do with previous threads).

Cheers,

Jason

a yank brown ale might be the go, i've never made one of them, so it would be a great one to start with

To be honest, I've had my fill of American beers over the last year, so I'm ready to try something more English, Scottish, German or Belgian. What about an Australanised Scotch ale? MO pale ale, Amber malt, Melanoidin malt, carapils, golden syrup, oak chips, bittered with POR. London Ale or Irish Ale yeast???

Of course this is a community ale, so I'm happy to go wit da flo.

- Snow

Okay, my turn.

What about an Imperial Aussie/NZ Ale.

Use JW or Galaxy or IMC malts.
Kiwi grown hops
Coopers yeast cultured from the bottle.

Aim for OG of 1070 and 50 to 60 IBU.

C&B
TDA

I'm also happy to go with the flow, we just need to make a decision which is why I put forward the suggestion I did. Ok, wasn't the greatest in the world but we have to start somewhere :) Let's just get something sorted...

Shawn.

Okay, my turn.

Kiwi grown hops

Imperial ANZAC, wouldn't miss the POR :)

jleske said:
Okay, my turn.

Kiwi grown hops

Imperial ANZAC, wouldn't miss the POR :)
Love the Imperial ANZAC idea...
make it brown/dark....

Snow said:
To be honest, I've had my fill of American beers over the last year, so I'm ready to try something more English, Scottish, German or Belgian. What about an Australanised Scotch ale? MO pale ale, Amber malt, Melanoidin malt, carapils, golden syrup, oak chips, bittered with POR. London Ale or Irish Ale yeast???

Of course this is a community ale, so I'm happy to go wit da flo.

- Snow
If you want to go that road Snow Pride of Ringwood as bittering works very nicely with Fuggles at the 15 minute mark. Fuggles fills in the gaps left by the POR but POR contributes a prickle that is quite pleasant on the tounge.

I have a very nice Borve Ale recipe that lends itself to modification in that manner.

steve.

With a brown I would suggest cloves and peppercorns as the spice

add at 15 mins

Jovial Monk

With a brown I would suggest cloves and peppercorns as the spice

My GOD, are we making a curry or a beer?? :D

Why not stick to a simple AUSTRALIAN style beer, I think someone mentioned a sparkling ale?
At the rate where going you won't be able to tell it's beer.

Why not use as many aussie ingredients as possible IE coopers yeast, joe white malts, bundaberg sugar ( most breweries used sugar in the early days, POR hops and possibly goldings or fuggles (used in the early brews in australia).
Maybe we can make a good guzzling beer for Xmas.

I am not bagging :ph34r: all the other suggestions ( I think there great), but I think for chrissy lunch I would like something to quaff, and that should also be a thirst quencher B) .

Just a suggestion

Andrew

Can I make a suggestion?

We have heard most members' suggestions. It is time for a few volunteers to each come up with a recipe trying to incorporate most of the most popular ingredients. Be generous in spirit and incorporate even the ingredients you didn't support if they were popular with other members.

If we get about 10 recipes we can then do a poll and the winner gets brewed.

The chosen style is less important than the idea of a community brew.

Re-reading the posts we seem to have most the first perferences, the following ingredients have occurred in either more than one post or have have been posted with some supporting posts from others but are missing from the first vote, should they be included or excluded?

fuggles & ekg
Kiwi grown hops
rye malt, rauch malt or oat malt
golden syrup

OK- I've had a look at all the votes and had a crack at a recipe. I like Doc's idea of a James Squire Australian strong, so I've adapted that to the Anzac tradition, while substituting some of the most voted for ingredients. The stand-out malt, with 4 official votes is Marris Otter, so we have to include that. POR hops got a few votes as well, so it's in. Coopers yeast is a popular choice, too. All other ingredients only got 1 official vote each, so it's open slather!

Anyway, here's my attempt:

Aussiehomebrewer's ANZAC Brown Community Strong Ale

OG 1.065
IBUs 50

Marris Otter Pale Ale Malt - 80%
Golden Syrup - 10% (to really "Aussie it up")
JWM Caramalt - 5%
Carawheat - 3%
Melanoidin - 2%
Pride of Ringwood hops - to 30 IBUs (all bittering)
New Zealand Hallertau - to 20 IBUs (60 min and 30 min additions)
New Zealand Hallertau - Aroma (30g at flameout?)
Oak chips (to make it a really unique beer. Quantity, ken?)
Yeast cultured from Coopers Sparkling Ale

Mash times, brewing and fermentation methods, etc are all each brewer's choice. Quantities dependant on individual efficiencies of each brewer's system, to meet the nominated OG and IBUs.

What do you all reckon?

Cheers - Snow

Having Oak chips in the brew will require extensive aging (months) to smooth out the flavour. And to be honest I think oak belongs in spirits not beer. everything else looks good. Top job Snow
Andrew

For the partial mashers, if I assume a basic partial masher's system can handle 3kg of grain and has 70% system efficiency, then with a basic approximation of quantities (my maths is not very good - please feel free to correct amounts), the fermentable amounts should come to:

2.4kg Marris Otter
250g Caramalt
200g Carawheat
150g Maelanoidin
approx 2.3kg LME (or about 1.5kg DME)
500g Golden syrup

This should get us to around 1.065 OG. Adjust accordingly to your system's efficiency and capacity.

Andrew, I didn't realise the oak needed extensive aging. If that's the case, then let's drop it. I want to be drinking this by Christmas. Maybe I'll split my batch and put some oak in half.

Cheers - Snow.

Back