Ahb's Community Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big d
just a thought to cater for remoteness.

In the spirit of Community, it looks like the base malt should be flexible, allowing for budgets and distance. I'm happy to go MO, but I live a capital city and have to resupply the grain stocks either way. I wouldn't be so keen if I'd just stocked up on another base grain or had to roadtrain/ship supplies to Arnhenland. my .02cents

Don't sweat it guys. In the end, it's your beer. Not everyone's going to be able to get all the ingredients. Trad pale ale will definitely give you a nice beer, MO will just give you a slightly different one, not nec. better. I can't get melanoidin in Brisbane, so i'll be ordering it from Goliath, but as it's only a small amount, the extra cost is ok. 5kg of MO on the other hand, is a different story....

What are people's thoughts on colour? According to my calculations, it's a bit light on, even for an amber ale. Should we add some chocloate, as MCWB suggests? Or maybe some roast barley?

I got my bottle of Coopers Sparkling Ale last night, so I'll be kicking off the starter this weekend - It's gonna happen!

- Snow.

I also have put down a recipe, pretty much the same as snows but with the 60g of choc in there for extra colour, also being 1.065 or there abouts i think it doesn't need that much crystal malt all. I also added amber malt as was suggested by johnno.
Hops i just put whatever for now but this is my malt bill ideas.

ahb ale
Brew Type: All Grain Date: 11/10/2004
Style: ahb strong ale Brewer: jayse
Batch Size: 25.00 L Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 32.35 L Boil Time: 90 min
Equipment: skunk fart brewery Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Taste Rating (50 possible points): 35.0

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.35 kg Lyle's Golden Syrup (0 EBC) Extract 4.9 %
6.00 kg BAIRDS MO (6 EBC) Grain 84.4 %
0.20 kg Hoepfner Melanoidin (39 EBC) Grain 2.8 %
0.20 kg JWM Amber Malt (45 EBC) Grain 2.8 %
0.20 kg JWM Caramalt (55 EBC) Grain 2.8 %
0.10 kg Weyermann CaraWheat (120 EBC) Grain 1.4 %
0.06 kg TF Chocolate Malt (940 EBC) Grain 0.8 %
20.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [9.0%] (60 min) Hops 21.4 IBU
10.00 gm Northern Brewer [9.8%] (60 min) Hops 11.7 IBU
30.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [9.0%] (10 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
30.00 gm Hallertauer, New Zealand [8.5%] (5 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
1.00 kg Ox tongue (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
5.28 oz Oak Chips (Secondary 7.0 days) Misc

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.066 SGEstimated Final Gravity: 1.017 SG (1.015-1.025 SG)Estimated Color: 25 EBC (24-32 EBC) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 44.6 IBU (30.0-60.0 IBU)
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 6.4 % (6.0-10.0 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 0.6 %

Jayse

Jayse,

i don't think woolies stocks that amount of ox tongue up this way, can i use less :lol: :p

Jayse, I think you left out the eye of newt and toe of frog! :eek:

"Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg, and howlet's wing,--
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.
Then secondary on some oak chips."

--Macbeth (IV, i, 14-15)

MCWB said:
Then secondary on some oak chips."

--Macbeth (IV, i, 14-15)
I didn't know one of GMK's fore fathers gave shakespear a hand at writting macbeth. :eek:

The ox tongue you'll only need one tongue Bonk, it doesn't go in the beer as such but there is a techniquie you'll need to follow while serving the AHB strong ale.
Take one evening the girlfriend invites her girlfriends around, then to cause maximun embrassment to her fashion a 'knob' on the end of the tongue with a sharp knife, place said tongue to hang out of trousers through unzipped zipper.
Then chase her and her friends around the house.
Another good varriation is to sneak up behind her and gently put the tongue hanging out your trousers onto her shoulder. This of course would be followed up again with the chasing around the house. :blink: :blink: :blink:

Jayse :eek:

And here I was thinking......

"Should I suggest we brew it on the Australia day long weekend???"

just to make it MORE Australian........

Just bringing this back up.

So, what's the general opinion on Jayse's version? Personally, I would like to add 500g of Golden Syrup, as I don't think 350g is enough. Also, I am leaning towards a different hop schedule, and with no Northern Brewer. My proposed schedule is:

20g POR (10%AA) - 75 mins
25g NZ Hallertauer (6%AA) - 75 mins
20g NZ Hallertauer (6%AA) - 30 mins
30g NZ Hallertauer - flameout.

I've got all the other grain amounts the same as Jayse suggests.

How does that sound?

Next - when do we brew it? Should we have a mass AHB gathering in each state on the same weekend, as a collective coming together of great minds in the spirit of community brewing? If we could have each gathering at a member's house who has a computer and a digital camera, we could upload photos of the sessions as they unfold during the day and compare each others levels of hot break and inebriation, thus recording the great day for posterity!?! If we had our AHB t-shirst and glasses by then, it would be even more wanky! How cool!

Or.....we could just brew it ourselves and talk about it....

Opinions, folks?

Cheers - Snow

G'day Snow,

I'm happy enough with the recipe but can't source the NZ Hallertau locally. Any prob with adjusting the quantities and using the imported stuff or should I get off my lazy @rse and get some NZ stuff posted from somewhere?

As for the times I'm reasonably flexible, but would think that getting everyone to brew on the one day when it has taken us this long just to get close to agreeing on a recipe might be a big ask. Could be wrong though :rolleyes: Happy to give it a go.

Have I missed somehting re: the glasses and shirts? I didn't think they were available yet.

Shawn.

Gough,

I reckon just use what you can get. It's the thought that counts!

Maybe if we all put aside a Sunday in Febuary or March, we could do it. Any Brisbane brewers out there with a home PC and digi-camera who's willing to host a bunch of drunks for a day? :D

As for glasses and shirts, I thought the plan was to try and get them out by Christmas? Or was that just the glasses?

- Snow

great idea snow and the brew date will give us all heaps of time to accrue the ingredients.

cheers
big d

Ok - great idea Snow...

Food for thought - we agree to brew Anzac Day - we do a AHB bulk buy for New Zealand Hallertaue, POR and use Powells malts as they are Australian.

Anzac Day gives us enough time to sort it all out.
If u go with Oak Chips - i am happy to supply them and source the grain (i have a contact that should be able to me get Powells Malts for almost free freight to the Barossa) and make up packs that people pay for and i send round the country (if Needed) etc...

But i vote for ANZAC Day - beoing ex RAAF - brewing Tha AussieHomebrewer Ale on ANZAC is a great patriotic idea...IMHO

Snow said:
Any Brisbane brewers out there with a home PC and digi-camera who's willing to host a bunch of drunks for a day? :D
Snow, i'm more than happy to host it. In fact i was supposed to be hosting the next brissie brew day, but moving has taken more weekends to sort out than i thought it would. And now it's xmas..

LOL Linz.

I like the way the brew is shaping up. As I don't have temp controlled fermenting, I'll be happy with a Feb-March brewday. I'll be spending summer setting up for AG and kegging, so I'm looking forward to brewing this! Woody or not.

Just knocked up a lighter version (Scaled down the SG), and looking at Australia Day weekend for a brew day.

Changed the Hallertau for Hersbrucker (as Ive got a kilo of it) and the amber candi sugar is the golden syrup

AHB Community Lighter Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.00 Wort Size (L): 23.00
Total Grain (kg): 4.00
Anticipated OG: 1.044 Plato: 10.87
Anticipated SRM: 11.9
Anticipated IBU: 43.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 80 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
80.0 3.20 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.038 3
10.0 0.40 kg. Candi Sugar (amber) Generic 1.046 75
5.0 0.20 kg. JWM Caramalt Australia 1.036 28
3.0 0.12 kg. Weyermann CaraWheat Germany 1.037 61
2.0 0.08 kg. Melanoidin Malt 1.033 35

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
17.00 g. Pride of Ringwood Pellet 9.80 23.8 60 min.
26.00 g. Hersbrucker Whole 4.50 15.2 60 min.
16.00 g. Hersbrucker Whole 4.50 4.8 30 min.
15.00 g. Hersbrucker Whole 4.50 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP009 Australian Ale

and "Sorry" GMK no Oak chips(although I do have some liquid oak)

I think WLP009 is just the Coopers sparkling/pale ale yeast isn't it?

Latest posts

Back