AHB Wiki: Powells Malt Specs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No update of any help but once i chew through the 130 odd kg of malt i have i plan to test powells out. They are only a short drive away and cheap, local malt would be fantastic.

I did read on this forum that powells pilsner needs to be step mashed but their ale malts dont.

Now all i need is a hop wholesaler who sells direct to me to open up near by and i set

I've done a few single infusions with the pilsner and the conversion is lower than Joe White, but only maybe 10-15%. Just use more malt, it's well priced anyway!

Did a brew today with 87% powells ale malt and got %75 eff which is on a par with JW ale malt :)
Now to wait on the flavour B)

Did a brew today with 87% powells ale malt and got %75 eff which is on a par with JW ale malt :)
Now to wait on the flavour B)

Powells have moved away from floor malting to more modern means. from discussions with the maltsters, they under-modify pilsner malt, which is how it was done traditionally. I've been getting 75-80% no stress with the ale, although I haven't used the pilsner malt lately. Such a fan of the flavour from both of these malts of theirs though.
Someone on here used to rave about their vienna too, maybe I'll split a bag with someone and give it a try.

Q

I bought a bag of their pilsner and a bag of their munich last year and have thoroughly enjoyed both. A munich dunkel from their munich was last year's lager beer and it spoke to me. Not too much difference efficiency-wise between their pilsner and my usual base malt (BB).

I have been hitting 70 - 74% with Powell's malts with my latest setup. Yet to test any other Malts with this setup, hoping I can get a higher % with other malts, but as they say, if the price is right... :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back