Ahb Community Get Together

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having spent a night in Cobar as I was hitching to Broken Hill I can safely say that I won't be attending that particular get together.

No need to be over complicated, just turn up at the Beer Fest at The Australian. That is one day taken care of. Wander around a few of the neighbouring establishments & that is the weekend taken care of.

Cheers
Gerard

Go with Gerard and Linzs' ideas. Anything else could be a nigtmare to organise.

However if some city brewers wanted to put in the hardyards, select a regional town in your state that's doing it tough with the drought and just turning up in force, meeting the local brewers, saying overnight, buying a few beers and putting on a BBQ will do the local economy and spirits a power of good. Remeniscent of the Cooee march, only in reverse.

A number of NSW regional towns have developed a "Mens Shed" concept to help the local blokes learn new skills and provide support for people not known for complaining. They could be a point of contact.I'll be in Cootamundra for Xmas and will check out the situation there. I could organise local regional press publicity in any state for anyone who wanted to take the idea on. Altruistic yep, but a lot of these people are doing it really tough and you'd have a great time.

I think Gerards idea to piggy back an established event would be the easiest thing to organise and going to somewhere central with cheap flights and easy travel is essential. I really think Sydney would be the go as Jetstar and Virgin have cheap flights to Sydney from most parts of Australia (apart from maybe the WA brewers).

I think having to hire a car and drive to another location adds and extra expense and time commitment, while choosing somewhere like Sydney makes it logistically a lot easier for everyone, plenty of accomodation, other things for people to do if they so desire. Get in, get drunk and get out kind of thinking.

If you piggy back something then obviously as stated one of your day events is already organised, if there were some keen members in Sydney they could perhaps look into hiring a venue/resterant/function room (maybe attached to a recognised good pub or brewpub) where we could have an AHB gathering for the night. Then maybe depending on numbers of attendees one or a few of the Sydney brewers or brew clubs could host a BBQ lunch with some of the various club members brewing some beer on their equipment.

I don't think there is any need for the travellers to brew, but if they can bring something along to share then good. I'm happy to watch, talk and heckle the brewers :p Maybe either the club would like to put on some of their members beers (we can all throw a few $$ towards the costs) or buy a few keg of LCPA etc.

I think the idea is a good one, but I think to work it needs to be as easy to organise as possible, flexible in regards to it's ability to accomodate a range of numbers (possibly unknown numbers). Just some of the ideas I have listed could work quite well with 12-50 people.

If I am still around at the time I'd love to make the journey and be part of it.

Cheers, Justin

Linz, Gerard and Justin, sounds like this is the way to get it rolling at least the door is open. Still the idea of a small community get together has merrit also, maybe a totally different event. The great bush brew off, now that's something that a small community could run and promote as a festival, all we would need to do is turn up and maybe do a brew or two.

Back