AHB Articles: How to make malt at home

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll pay that one!

I am finalising a valve purchase in the next few hours, and wanted to consider whether I should get an extra 12" butterfly valve for this purpose - automating this will be quite hard! Still coming to grips with the concept.

Do the thing you're doing. In the mean time check out a local/closest maltster to get an idea of what's needed.

to be honest i have never used bought malts apart from some peat smoked malt.. i have always made my own..

Mate, you are awesome. A true homebrewer. Good topic, and I am hanging out to see your other vids.

i have added a third vid as an update i have a much faster/easier method now

I'm having trouble seeing the wiki linked to in the first post. Can anyone else see the vids or text? I just get blank picture outlines and no text.

Googling the thread title hit the vids.

Thats awesome! Great work!

How do you know your barley is suitable for malting. Low protien malt is sold to the maltsters the high protien is very good for animal feed. You dont want high protein barley.
Barley aint barley.

The malsters test the barley for suitability.

How do you test yours?

How do you know your barley is suitable for malting. Low protien malt is sold to the maltsters the high protien is very good for animal feed. You dont want high protein barley.
Barley aint barley.

The malsters test the barley for suitability.

How do you test yours?

i make beer with it..

yes i do get a little more protein haze than commercial malts but it doesn't bother me that much im not trying to win awards with my beer. most feed barley is steam rolled (as far as i know) as it makes the nutrients more available to the animals. i just buy a 25kg bag of whole barley from the feed store. it works great and its cheap

As a grain grower this is all very interesting. The blokes at the grain recieval site test the grain to tell you if its malting quality, just because they test it for you doesnt mean you have to sell it to them. One day I will invent some more time and get back to brewing and malting.
Keep up the good work absynthe..

Greg

Interesting, I just listened to the recent BN Sunday Session with the Whites from White Labs, who have an enzyme product out that cleaves haze proteins. I would be interested to see it used on one of said beers that might have above average protein levels.

PDF

Enzyme preparation for food use containing proline-specific endo-protease

Back