AHB Articles: Fermenting Directly in the No-chill Cube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just pitched my first ferment in the cube yeast. A nice healthy 3068 starter onto a weizen :beerbang: I don't know why I didn't try it sooner, piece of piss. Stand by for results.

Using the jerry can style cubes I can see this being my standard practice from now on in my brewery. Brewing for keg, so wanting to end up with 18-19l. Plenty of headspace which was very easy to squeeze out, so don't anticipate any issues with overflowing krausen. Can't believe I didn't give this a crack sooner, as this will allow me to finally have 2 beers fermenting at once...

Awesome article.

Gonna try this at the weekend.
I like the idea of less things to clean and sanitise!

Does anyone know if you can buy new screw tops for the cubes?

Rays or Aussie Disposals or similar might have lid separately.

I've been using the blue Willow cubes and found the blue lids to be a bit variable in terms of sealing. The black lids from the traditional cubes are better.

Been chilling and fermenting in the Willow cubes for years now with great results. Good for double batches where you want to try different yeasts.
I've got a fridge at 18C for fermenting.. then I can just move the cube to the keg fridge @4C to condition for as long as I like, or the next keg is emptied (usually the latter!!)

Yeah try Aussie Disposals.

You know what would be good? A list of different cubes and there ACTUAL volumes when filled to the brim - the most relevant measurement for a no-chiller.

I have a Bunnings (couldn't see a brand name) 20L cube, but haven't measured the actual volume yet as I haven't no-chilled in it so far. I'm thinking of picking up an Aussie Disposals one as they're only $10. Any one know the full volumes of either?

Rays or Aussie Disposals or similar might have lid separately.

I've been using the blue Willow cubes and found the blue lids to be a bit variable in terms of sealing. The black lids from the traditional cubes are better.

Been chilling and fermenting in the Willow cubes for years now with great results. Good for double batches where you want to try different yeasts.
I've got a fridge at 18C for fermenting.. then I can just move the cube to the keg fridge @4C to condition for as long as I like, or the next keg is emptied (usually the latter!!)

I'm thinking of stacking the traditional cubes (carefully) in my fridge.
I reckon I may just be able to squeeze 4 in! :icon_cheers:

You write about managing foaming after airation before pitching. Why not pitch first?

Does anyone know of any issues / risks with this?

Brewers love complicating things.

Buy cube.

Insert tap.

Brew.

Insert yeast.

Ferment.

Drink.

However that apparatus would make for a decent blowoff attachment for those concerned about the little headspace.
Complicating things. No just thinking of this...

IMG_0494.jpg

Jerry cans are a great idea but I will be making the valve lid blow off when I do ferment in them. Had some very messy experiences as you can see. Thats 3787 by the way.

nice healthy ferment there :p done a wheat that was trying to escape the other day but died down fast and I changed the glad wrap to be sure lol

Using the jerry can style cubes I can see this being my standard practice from now on in my brewery. Brewing for keg, so wanting to end up with 18-19l. Plenty of headspace which was very easy to squeeze out, so don't anticipate any issues with overflowing krausen. Can't believe I didn't give this a crack sooner, as this will allow me to finally have 2 beers fermenting at once...

This is what I do now. To ferment I just unscrew the lid a bit and leave it loose. I have enough fridge space to have 6 jerry cans fermenting at the same time (3 double batches).... :super:

I'm interested in trying this idea. However, since the articles section is still broken... anyone got the original article they can pm me?

I'll have a look at home for a saved copy.

Pretty simple - I just went into a lot of detail in an attempt to answer the common questions but basically no chill into sanitised cube as normal. Use a tapped cube unless you have a siphon.

When cooled, open the lid, reseal and shake as long as you can stand. Put down, crack lid again and repeat. Then add your yeast in whatever form you have, close, shake again then back the lid off so it is not completely tight.

Ferment.

To clean - hot sodium percarbonate and raw rice for very stubborn stuff (hot percarb is usually sufficient if you clean straight away.

Cheers.

If I have 20L of wort is it better to use a 20L cube or 25L cube for fermenting?

Just use whatever you no chill in. I've had a bit of headspace in cubes before and virtually none, it doesn't make a lot of difference. I just make sure I sit it in a tub in the fridge to catch any krausen that escapes. A spray with starsan will stop it from crusting up on the lid. Easy peasy.

JD.

manticle said:
To clean - hot sodium percarbonate and raw rice for very stubborn stuff (hot percarb is usually sufficient if you clean straight away.
Raw rice? Never heard of that method before, is that so you have something in there to agitate and knock hard to reach dirt off the walls?

Thanks.

I am currently no chilling with 10L jerry cans and transferring to 30L fermenter to ferment.

Hoping to do some mid strength 20L maxibiab no chill batches for Summer. If I can no chill and ferment these in 20L jerry cans side by side in my little fridge that would be a real time saver.

ro55c0 said:
Raw rice? Never heard of that method before, is that so you have something in there to agitate and knock hard to reach dirt off the walls?
Yep. Only ever really necessary if you don't soak the cube immediately after emptying though.
The krausen ring is usually about 1/3 from the top in my cubes so enough solution to reach that when the cube is placed upside down is the maximum amount of water needed.

Completely filling the cube with sodium percarbonate solution and leaving to soak will also deal with a stubborn protein ring.

I dissolve the granules with a bit of hot water and then fill to the brim from a rain tank.

I'd worry about getting a grain of rice trapped in the handle of the cube.

Pretty easy to get the rice out. Also very rare you actually need to use it.

Not filling completely helps save water - if you have a decent garden/veg patch and rain water, it might be less of an issue as the sod percarb is biodegradeable (not sure about its effect on soil pH though).

Can also be reused for cleaning bathroom etc.

I live in a rainy area and don't use the tank for much else.

I don't like risking upsetting worms and micro-fauna by tipping onto garden. I haven't checked pH but it feels a little soapy suggesting alkaline.

Latest posts

Back