AHB Articles: Fermenting Directly in the No-chill Cube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose thinking about it, there's not much to say is there?
- Use the cube
- Ferment as normal
- Use a loose lid or some clingwrap

Anything else?

And.. If you don’t have headspace then you need a blowoff valve :)

I'm a bit late to the party on this topic. Going back to p1 and clicking on the link to the original article the link is no longer valid. Anyone know if the article is still out there?

Use the Wayback machine and you'll still be able to see it.
If you don't know what that is just chuck it in google for the link.

Also, what's the good noise on cubes at the moment? I see the bunnings ones are all opaque meaning that reading the levels would be a bit of a challenge

I'm in Bunnings and they have these drinking containers. I like the wide opening, easier to clean. You think these would take the hot temperatures?
20181123_141020-658x1262.jpeg

Some people do use them, although to me they seem a bit more flimsy than the white ones I use.

Also be sure to check the seams inside - some of them are pretty rough.

Also if you're cubing. the small necked square ones are fine and easy to clean.
A bit of warm perc a rinse then a bit of Starsan shaken around - done!
And the Starsan isn't necessary - I like to put a bit in while I'm storing them though - just in case.

I was thinking if I start to do no chill for a few brews then I might as well leave it there and ferment in it as well. Cleaning the Krausen ring and so on would be a bit easier I think in with this wider opening.
I didn’t check the inside to see the seams.
I like the jerry can style as well which they had as they are shaped better in terms of fitting multiple in a fridge.

I was thinking if I start to do no chill for a few brews then I might as well leave it there and ferment in it as well. Cleaning the Krausen ring and so on would be a bit easier I think in with this wider opening.
I didn’t check the inside to see the seams.
I like the jerry can style as well which they had as they are shaped better in terms of fitting multiple in a fridge.
Yep the big lid would be better of fermenting, but do check those seams and pick the cleanest one on the shelf as some are really bad which would make cleaning/sanitizing a PITA

You could choose the 25L cube... and brew to 21 or 22L. That'd be just enough head room in the cube to pitch and ferment. The square 25L jerry would allow you to squeeze much of the O2 from the container before sealing.

Plenty of people do it.

Aussie Home Brewer - Error
The requested page could not be found. is what i get when i click on link?
https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/ahb-articles-fermenting-directly-in-the-no-chill-cube.62779/

If I am going to cask the beer when fermenting I capture the gas,usually like it to be 21 litres in the 25 litre cube this gives 7 litres of head space, however if it happens to be more than the 21 litres it can still be achieved by putting some resistance on the exhausting gas. If a PRV isn't available, one of these one way valves will do the job, I have checked the accuracy and it exhausts at spot on 5 psi. (could be a good way of anyone with a PRV but a cheap gauge to check the accuracy of the gauge) Normally don't like to go as high as 5 psi, but I don't wan't krausen creeping down the line.

002.JPG one way valve.
001.JPG 24 litres fermenting in a 25 litre cube.

I did look before when you asked the same question about where to buy cubes, People in Plastic, but they don't seem to be in Adelaide. Best bet is to find a chemical factory close by who may get their cubes from PiP, there is one not far from me which saves me a trip to the western suburbs and I get them 50 cents cheaper.:)

Where did you find those nice clear cubes?
Also try your local Chinese restaurants some of them buy soy sauce in 25l cubes and might let you have some cheap/free.
Don't forget to say Xièxiè or if they are from Shanghai say Yá yà! and they'll be happy to give you more next time you visit. :)
I used to get mine that way but now they buy their sauce in metal drums.

Last edited:
Back