Aging Lagers/pilsners

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sluggerdog

Beer In Here
Reaction score
After haing 6 weeks off from brewing due to a scare that I had celiacs disease. Got my results back last week and luckily found out I was only allergic to Duram Wheat (Pasta) so I can again start with the beer.. (Who could live without beer? :angry: not me)

Back to the topic, I brew mostly lagers/pilsners and they are done in the same fashion:

Brew and Ferment in primary for 8-12 days, rest for 3 days and then into a cube for 1 month to cold condition. Then once the month is up I keg and drink.

Why I raise this topic is I have just cracked open a bottle that I filled from the keg around 2 months ago. It went through the same proceedure as above however since the kegging it was bottled and it has sat warm, for the last 2 months.

The brew is so much better then when I initially kegged it 2 months ago. Totally different tastes and a lot better.

So I was thinking that maybe I should try this for my next few brews except for bottling the brew, gas the keg up and leave it out of the fridge for 2 months, then proceed to drink it.

Whould this work? Reason I ask as I have always thought that it is best to keep the brew cold the whole time...

Would love to hear others comments/thoughts/methods on lagers/pils and how to get the best out of them..

Cheers :D

Slugger
Its a hard question to answer.
I bottle all me Lagers after a min. of 6 weeks lagering and the bottles are a bugger to carbonate in the winter, takes 6 weeks to get it right.
Those beers are really the best and patience is the biggest problem.
I have to agree even after all the lagering if you keg it, it never seems to be right.
I dont have an answer only it all take a lot of time to get it right
Cheers
Ray

It is likely that the residual yeast that was in the brew when you bottled it has fermented out even further at the wamer temperatures making a dryer beer with a slightly different flavour.

I always store my kegs warm after cold conditioning and find that it gives the beer a better flavour, though mostly they don't last 2 months.

Thanks for the replies, I think I will try CC for 4 weeks as normal, keg and gas then leave out of the fridge for 1 more month and see how that goes..

Back