Aging In Bottles - Dr Smuirto Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digger11

Reaction score
2 weeks of aging in bottles at room temp. a Dr Smurto Golden Ale (Kit version) and I'm not really happy with the flavour.

I tasted a bottle last night and to be honest it wasn't really nice. It tasted a bit bitter and a bit hoppy - and not that nice really.
I preferred my first brew (which was the very simple standard Coopers Kit Ingredients)

My theory is to leave the remaining 29 bottles at room temperature until Xmas.

What improvements/changes should I taste ?
Maybe I am just not used to these beers with more flavour ?

thanks
Digger

What improvements/changes should I taste ?
The hop flavour will diminish slightly, and the bitterness will smooth out.
Maybe I am just not used to these beers with more flavour ?
Quite possibly. I don't mean to sound 'beer snobby', but it may well be the case.

It could be, and in fact is most likely, that it's just too young atm. My advise is to try a bottle every 2 weeks.....as an aside, and an excersize in palate education, note down your impressions as accurately as you can. Hang on to those notes. Then in 3-6-12 months time, read them for shits and giggles......tastes change over time. ;)

I find that my beers are very drinkable after 1 week. And once I pop, I can't stop, so I have to refrain myself and SWMBO from drinking them too quickly. I have tried to get a long term beer storage happening, but it always fails. :p

Try an AG Dr Smurtos Golden Ale and I doubt you'll have the same problem. Read my post about "bursting in the AG strotosphere" or some stupid thread title like that.

It's not that hard and tastes great no matter when you drink it.

Bowie

I am in the same position as you. DSGA extract version with malt cans in the bottle. I am going to get crucified for the next part but I couldn't help but try a couple a bit early, only 2.5 weeks into it. I was very happy with the taste and aroma. Perhaps a bit more bittering but the citrussy and floral notes were unbelievable. Can't wait to try it out after a month. I gave a couple mates a taste and they noted the fruity taste. Would be a perfect "morning after" session beer.

Will the hop flavour get stronger or weaker as they age?

Cheers.

Thanks,

I'm brewing a FWK at the moment with some added hops - so I'll see if that turns out to my liking.

Plan is to go AG (via BIAB) but I want to make sure I will like the result before buying the equipment.

Its already been said but yea, just give it a bit more time. And Butters idea would be a great one to follow your taste changes. I'm drinking my first extract - Dr'sGA atm and after 2 weeks the hops were great but too bitter and a bit yeasty. After a month it has smoothed out a lot, the head is perfect and I wish the hops hung around a bit longer. But then again I screwed up and put the last hops in at flameout instead of dry hopping :p

Latest posts

Back