Again Free Shipping Costs at BelgianSHop

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that hurt!

Just think of all the cash I just saved on shipping though. :)

here's what I ordered, tried to buy what I can't get here. Hope I picked well.

BB20129 Barbar bruin 8C - 33cl 1 $5.60 $5.60
No. Not Yet Shipped 1

BB28186P Achel Bruin EXTRA 9.5-3/4L 1 $19.00 $19.00
No. Not Yet Shipped 1

BB20030 Abbaye Moinette blond - 1 $4.50 $4.50
8.5-1/3L
No. Not Yet Shipped 1

BB24017 Postel Dobble 7C - 33cl 1 $5.60 $5.60
No. Not Yet Shipped 1

BB20006 St Bernardus Abt 12-1/3L 1 $6.50 $6.50
No. Not Yet Shipped 1

BB20834 Rodenbach Grand Cru 6.5-1/3L 2 $6.00 $12.00
No. Not Yet Shipped 2

BB21580 Cantillon Gueuze 5-37,5CL -V 1 $15.00 $15.00
No. Not Yet Shipped 1

BB40255Z Vicardin Tripel Gueuze 7 - 1 $8.00 $8.00
-1/3L
No. Not Yet Shipped 1

BB20260 Blanche de Bruges - Brugs - 1 $4.60 $4.60
5-1/4L
No. Not Yet Shipped 1

BB40382V Anker Boscoulis 3,5 - 1/3L - 1 $5.40 $5.40
- V
No. Not Yet Shipped 1

BB40377V Forestinne Gothika 7,5 - - 1 $5.40 $5.40
1/3L - V
No. Not Yet Shipped 1

BB40261V Caulier Bruin 6,8-1/3L -V 1 $6.00 $6.00
No. Not Yet Shipped 1

VB98209Z Botteresse Glass 1 $14.00 $14.00
No. Not Yet Shipped 1

VB90582 Grimbergen Glass 1 $14.00 $14.00
No. Not Yet Shipped 1

these done look overly cheaper than what we can get here. not that it matters i suppose as ive missed the special.

That was my thought as well. They could be turning a fair profit just getting the beers from any bottle shop there in singles, though paying for the shipping would take a fair chunk out of it

For me it's not about price, it's about condition.

A lot of the beers i chose are available here (sea freighted), but it's like comparing restaurant food to (the same) take away food that was made an hour ago, thrown into the back seat of the spotty16 year old delivery driver, kept there while he visits some mates, then the 7-eleven for some breath mints, then his girlfriend, then finally delivered 'fresh' to your door. ie- no comparison.

If only the Aussie drinker knew what these beers were meant to taste like, & DO taste like over in Belgium, the market in shit-condition heat-damaged poorly handled beer would disappear.

I sadly ended up tipping most of the last mixed case of Belgian beers i bought from Slow beer, even though all of these were brought through the official importers. Only 1 of 6 Rocheforts was drinkable, & the Orvals were over 12 months old & way too sour & 'bretty' for consumption. These, and many more, were purchased immediately after returning from a 2 week belgian beer holiday so to say i was disappointed is a pretty big understatement! At least i got some pretty bottles for my hard-earned dollars. That wa the most expensive case of mixed beer i've ever bought

Having said all that, i can only hope the stuff that gets delivered to us in a week or 2 is in prime condition- if so this thread will end up being 20 pages long as people start posting their tasting notes on what they bought.

Nervously awaiting delivery now.........

Yep, nervous is the word, I hope we dodge the custums issues.

Seeing that belgian beer shop got pretty good reviews both online and from Northside Novice I'm hoping everything should be OK with the beers, unless they get treated badly in transport or customs.

I also got one of those Westvleteren packs from the Belgian dude, not sure yet if i get it shipped over here though or to Germany and then take it next time I visit.

Yep, nervous is the word, I hope we dodge the custums issues.

Me too, but if worst comes to worst, it shouldn't cost more than an extra $20 a case for excise, & i can't see them bothering with GST for the relatively small value.

My last post made me remember the circumstances of my previous disappointment. I'd just returned from hols all fired up & excited about just how good belgian beers in Belgium were, & had been crapping on endlessly to anyone who would listen about it. That trip turned my brewing 'hobby' into a full-blown obsession that is yet to abate 18 months later.

Anyway, i ordered a mixed case of belgian beers locally & invited my friends over for dinner/beers. The case arrived only a day or 2 before the dinner so only had time for fridging prior to the tasting session. The end result of that session was me being confused & very embarrassed at the shit condition of my beer, my friends thinking i was full of shit regarding how i'd been telling everyone how good the beers i had were meant to be.

I've tried random single bottles of belgian beer since then, with about 25% of them being ok but not awesome, & the other 75% being decidedly second rate.

Hopefully the ordered beers will be able to convince my fellow drinkers that this stuff truly is awe-inspiring, & ignite the same passion that i now have for high quality beers brewed with skill by those with a similar passion.

Mikk

the Orvals were over 12 months old & way too sour & 'bretty' for consumption.

1 Year Old Orval is on a lot of Belgian beer menus, as the Brettanomyces comes through a lot more with ageing. You can send them to me next time ;)

1 Year Old Orval is on a lot of Belgian beer menus, as the Brettanomyces comes through a lot more with ageing. You can send them to me next time ;)

True- 'Orval Classico', i think they call it. Had it not also been heat damaged, it may have been quite alright for a lot of people but as it was was beyond my tastes...

Same with the Saison Dupont 750ml bottles we get here. I think they have the date stamped on the cork, & by the time we get them they're generally approaching a year old. Again, under cellar conditions this wouldn't be a problem but after shipment here the result is less than stellar...

For me it's not about price, it's about condition.

A lot of the beers i chose are available here (sea freighted), but it's like comparing restaurant food to (the same) take away food that was made an hour ago, thrown into the back seat of the spotty16 year old delivery driver, kept there while he visits some mates, then the 7-eleven for some breath mints, then his girlfriend, then finally delivered 'fresh' to your door. ie- no comparison.

If only the Aussie drinker knew what these beers were meant to taste like, & DO taste like over in Belgium, the market in shit-condition heat-damaged poorly handled beer would disappear.

I sadly ended up tipping most of the last mixed case of Belgian beers i bought from Slow beer, even though all of these were brought through the official importers. Only 1 of 6 Rocheforts was drinkable, & the Orvals were over 12 months old & way too sour & 'bretty' for consumption. These, and many more, were purchased immediately after returning from a 2 week belgian beer holiday so to say i was disappointed is a pretty big understatement! At least i got some pretty bottles for my hard-earned dollars. That wa the most expensive case of mixed beer i've ever bought

Having said all that, i can only hope the stuff that gets delivered to us in a week or 2 is in prime condition- if so this thread will end up being 20 pages long as people start posting their tasting notes on what they bought.

Nervously awaiting delivery now.........

I wasn't trying to discourage, it's a great way to try some great belgians. I was there in july and was in europe for 4 months and it wasn't all that hard to find some different belgians anywhere in the eu. I decided that I don't need the glasses and I'll put those funds towards trying a couple different wyeast smack packs and keep working on my belgians.

I ordered 16 beers. I can only find 4 available online in Australia. Those 4 beers would cost a total of $9.47 more than the Belgianshop Online + postage.

Plus I'm pretty sure the beers from the Belgianshop will be in better condition.

More Choice + Cheaper + Better Condition = :beerbang: Q.E.D.

Cheers
MAH

I ordered 16 beers. I can only find 4 available online in Australia. Those 4 beers would cost a total of $9.47 more than the Belgianshop Online + postage.

Plus I'm pretty sure the beers from the Belgianshop will be in better condition.

More Choice + Cheaper + Better Condition = :beerbang: Q.E.D.

Cheers
MAH

See you in a couple of weeks then

C&B
TDA

some news from the ebay dude guys, he said combined postage is cheaper! well der !

anyways 4 packs seems best value = 4 x pack total cost to oz = 420 euro

=$515 total or $129 per pack !

bulk buy anyone??

also last time i used belgium shop the beers arrived about 2 weeks later and where delish!
but after seeing how much we have all raped their shelves and as i assume the rest of the free beer drinking world has as well , they may be a little busy packing orders !
I personally expect i slight delay due to their high order workload but I am not worried in the slightest ! I am far too excited waiting to get the booty when it arrives!
good onyas, i am just happy to help fellow beer lovers :beer:

True- 'Orval Classico', i think they call it. Had it not also been heat damaged, it may have been quite alright for a lot of people but as it was was beyond my tastes...

Same with the Saison Dupont 750ml bottles we get here. I think they have the date stamped on the cork, & by the time we get them they're generally approaching a year old. Again, under cellar conditions this wouldn't be a problem but after shipment here the result is less than stellar...

The only oxidised (to the point where I wondered if I really liked the beer at all anymore) belgian I've had here from memory is some chimays (not all), a leffe radieuse and a grimbergen dubbel. I have not been to Belgium so I don't know what they taste like fresh and in context (it's on the list) but here I've had duvel, chimay (all 3), orval, bernardus 12, achel (blond, bruin) westmalle dubbel, tripel, various leffes, cantillon, rochefort 8 and 10, dupont, trois monts, lindemans faro and a bunch of others. Some of them are regularly imbibed on account of my local bottle shop stocking some decent beers (and the oxidised chimays were all from there but generally all the others I get there are delicious). I found maresdous recently to be loaded with hot alcohol but I'm not sure I can blame that on bad handling.

Definitely not tippable, definitely delicious complex beers. As I say, I can't compare until I get there to try myself but I would have been taking that shit back to slowbeer. I get gushers with orval ocassionally but I get that with some of my own brett beers sometimes too. Still tastes great.

My understanding is that most of these beers are cellerable so IF treated right, freshness shouldn't be the key to getting a good or shit one.

NN, there seems to be no real value in sending two packs together, so unless 2 others put up their hands very shortly I'll just pay him for single postage. Less chances of it being held up by customs too I reckon.

Many thanks for sharing the links mate, this is the third time you got me into positive trouble now (first time were the tickets to the Archive event).

I've been to Belgium and had Belgian beers here. What tipped me over was the range.
I compared the price of the things I would have bought normally, lambics etc. and most of these were significantly more expensive than what I used to pay when I could get them here, so I was going to give it a miss.
When I looked harder though, beyond the favourites, it was easy to find a lot of options at a price that I would say was comparable, and for beers that you just don't see here...

NN, there seems to be no real value in sending two packs together, so unless 2 others put up their hands very shortly I'll just pay him for single postage. Less chances of it being held up by customs too I reckon.

Many thanks for sharing the links mate, this is the third time you got me into positive trouble now (first time were the tickets to the Archive event).

no probs mate ! have to catch up for a beer some time :)
I jumped in and have paid ebay dude in full all ready for 1, just thought i could go another pack for 130 bucks if others felt the urge thats all?

mearesy is keen for one .

i dont mind either way , i probly being a bit greedy :icon_drunk:

I've been to Belgium and had Belgian beers here. What tipped me over was the range.
I compared the price of the things I would have bought normally, lambics etc. and most of these were significantly more expensive than what I used to pay when I could get them here, so I was going to give it a miss.
When I looked harder though, beyond the favourites, it was easy to find a lot of options at a price that I would say was comparable, and for beers that you just don't see here...
Agreed.
Pity the Pannepot was out of stock :( .

Latest posts

Back