Ag Recipe Books.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70

Le roi est mort..
Reaction score
Put simply, Im after a book with a bunch of beer recipes within. Not so much a 'how to brew' type (not that I don't need to be told how), but just something I can use as a platform to start from.
Even if it's based on comercial beers, thats fine.
Up to now I've basically just been plucking recipes out of AHB's fine database or rolling up to Pat's shop and saying stuff like 'Well, I want to make a dark beer,...mmmm....not to roasty....mmmm....not quite a stout...blahblahblah.....'

And if it's measurements are metric based, all the better.

cheers

Definitely Brewing classic styles. All award winning recipies, so if they dont come out right you know its your own fault!

Jamil also gives out most if not all the recipies or versions of them on his podcast on the Brewing Network called the Jamil Show.

Designing great beers by Ray Daniels was a great book I had. Gave you a base for most styles more or less and then you oculd play from there to get exactly what you were after. I would highly recommend it. I need to get another copy. Unfortunately the missus turfed it whne she last got a bag of bits and bobs together for vinnies.

A friend mentioned this book:

"Brew Classic European Beers at Home" by Graham Wheeler and Roger Protz

I was about to order it from the Book Depositarybut the 1997 is out of stock. The 1995 is available.

www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9781852491178/Brew-Classic-European-Beers-at-Home

daniel

Definitely Brewing classic styles. All award winning recipies, so if they dont come out right you know its your own fault!

Jamil also gives out most if not all the recipies or versions of them on his podcast on the Brewing Network called the Jamil Show.

I second this book great resource and great starting point for recipes

thumbnail.asp.jpg

Hi,
I have a book Brewing Crafts by Mike Rodgers-Wilson published by Blackson and sells around the $28 mark. It is a DYI book on spirits,wine and beer and has about 66 pages of beer recipies. I got it from mitre10 in Dubbo NSW. Having a look thgrough the pages they are mainly KKs on cloned beers.
Cheers BB

And once you've read brewing classic styles you should get Randy Mosher's, Radical Brewing. Full of great ideas, historical curiosities and excellent recipes.

cheers

grant

And once you've read brewing classic styles you should get Randy Mosher's, Radical Brewing. Full of great ideas, historical curiosities and excellent recipes.

cheers

grant

For a cheep and cheerful couple of books try the Vic brew/AABC comp recipe books (Ross at Craftbrewer has them), the 2001 is blue (did my first couple of AG brews out of this) and the 2006 is orange (have it too, and have based my current weizen test brews on ones from there). Both provide great recipes and lots of additional info, well worth the ~$10/ea....

Note: not all recipes there in are AG, some are kit/extract based.

For a cheep and cheerful couple of books try the Vic brew/AABC comp recipe books
Along the same lines, are the Worthogs Pale Ale Mania Recipe books, which you can download from their website: http://www.worthogs.net/documents.htm

However, I'd say that Brewing Classic Styles is a very good first-stop recipe book, it covers all styles and you can't go wrong with it.

I am a quarter the way through 'Wild Brews' and its great so far. I would recommend this if keen on entering lambic territory.

I also recommend the vicbrew books, some also have other content in them too such as tips, calculations etc.
Pretty cheap too.

are the vicbrew books still kicking? the last i seen was 2006.
edit, 2003

are the vicbrew books still kicking? the last i seen was 2006.
edit, 2003

Grain & Grape Vic Brew Books

Yep, at Beerfest there were plenty of digs being hurled about that someone needed to break the '2006 barrier' on the Vicbrew books!
Hopefully that person is reading this and will pull their finger out and start editing! ;)

In addition to 1998-2006 at G&G, Ross at Craftbrewer has a couple of them - I think just the two years you mention Haysie!

Back to the OP, I would definately agree with other posts - and add a few comments:

- Brewing Classic Styles - Great for learning to brew to style and what ingredients go into each.
- Designing Great Beers - More advanced, less of a recipe book, but will teach you everything you need to throw away recipe books and create your own. You really get to know what goes into a grain bill for each style and what yeasts can be used. Know some great Homebrewers that swear by this one.
- Radical Brewing - When you're ready to experiment. This book is about breaking rules, breaking styles, adding adjuncts and over the top hopping, going nuts. A good book to have when you're across the basics and are ready to dabble.

That said, I have a Vicbrew 2006 book and it's pretty good too! :D

Hopper.

Recently read " Brew like a monk" by Stan Hieronymus,
a good read with some tastey looking recipees as well.

Recently read " Brew like a monk" by Stan Hieronymus,
a good read with some tastey looking recipees as well.

Can vouch for this book being a good one. More a narration of Belgian Abbey/Trappist Beers and their breweries than a straight recipe book though.

That said you can use the book to do very close 'Clones' of your favourite Belgian beers, like Westmalle, Orval etc.

I did a great clone version of a Duvel using this book recently. Came up great.

Incidentally noticed that Stan Hieronymous has a new book out, want to get it - called 'Brewing with Wheat'. I'm a bit of a wheat & wit beer fan myself.

Hopper.

Hi,
I have a book Brewing Crafts by Mike Rodgers-Wilson mainly KKs on cloned beers.
Cheers BB
terrible book for an AG thread. but thanks for playing.

+1 for Radical BRewing. This is one of my favourites. its always good for a read and for inspiration.
other than that any of the Brewing Classic Styles books are good.
Brew Like a Monk is also a good read esp if you like belgians. but its not a recipe book persay.

Plenty of reviews here (Book Reviews in the AHB Articles section):
BrewBook Reviews

If you've read a goodie add your thoughts and help the masses. :)

Cheers,

Hopper.

Maybe some of should get together and write one, or maybe compile one with individual brewers' permission - Award winning Aussie Beers of the 21st Century B)

Latest posts

Back