AG ferments sticking

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not being a smartarse but this thread already seems to explain. As for pitching more yeast apparently a starter is required so the yeast about to be pitched works. The alcohol already in the beer hinders yeast growth if not done this way.

Ciderman said:
Second AG brew and I'm a fair way off my FG.

Target gravity is 1.018

The last reading has been consistent since Thursday evening.

I'm not so sure temperature is my problem. I have a thermostat on a fridge and it was set at 18 degrees. It wasn't keeping exact temperature because I didn't realise I had to use a heat source as well. (Another amateur error)

It got as low as about 15 degrees but since I attached the heat belt to the thermostat it has kept correct temperature. I gave the yeast a mix up on Saturday and brought up the temperature to 21 degrees and no movement.

Can I save this? Do I need to pitch more yeast, and what is causing this?
What's the recipe?

Some of this has already been covered in the earlier posts answering the OP.

There's several possible reasons for stuck fermentations.

But, first up, be sure your measuring device is giving you a correct reading. (alcohol refraction errors ie. refractometer may read say 1.022 when in fact the corrected reading is 1.010 etc)

Usual causes are:
Insufficient yeast or at least, insufficient healthy yeast. Insufficient dissolved oxygen at yeast pitch. Temp issues (Is the temp in the fridge exactly what it says it is on the display?).

Other causes: High alcohol beer and low alcohol tolerance yeast. Issues with mash temperature. Insufficient nutrients.

I'd go so far as to say the vast majority of stuck fermentations are due to insufficient healthy yeast being put into a wort that hasn't got sufficient dissolved oxygen available in the Lag Phase to build the sufficient population up in the Log Phase.

Martin

HBHB said:
What's the recipe?

Some of this has already been covered in the earlier posts answering the OP.

There's several possible reasons for stuck fermentations.

But, first up, be sure your measuring device is giving you a correct reading. (alcohol refraction errors ie. refractometer may read say 1.022 when in fact the corrected reading is 1.010 etc)

Usual causes are:
Insufficient yeast or at least, insufficient healthy yeast. Insufficient dissolved oxygen at yeast pitch. Temp issues (Is the temp in the fridge exactly what it says it is on the display?).

Other causes: High alcohol beer and low alcohol tolerance yeast. Issues with mash temperature. Insufficient nutrients.

I'd go so far as to say the vast majority of stuck fermentations are due to insufficient healthy yeast being put into a wort that hasn't got sufficient dissolved oxygen available in the Lag Phase to build the sufficient population up in the Log Phase.

Martin
Thanks for going through that with me. I just checked the gravity with a hydrometer and it was 1.027 so I'm not all that far from my target. Will have to read up on how to use a Refractometer correctly!

Latest posts

Back