AG #2 Mosaic smash ? MO as base malt ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongey

Reaction score
ok

BIAB #1 went pretty well . my stove top really struggled with my full volume boil so ended up with more volume than I wanted, as it was more of a ambling boil than rolling . but have a high pressure burner on the way for the next one .

Thinking of doing a simple smash for #2. keep the costs down while I'm learning . I really like the pirate life mosaic, .planning to keep the grain at 5kg like #1 but gonna scale down the volume a few liters this time to bump up the alc more towards the PL .

my knowledge of grain is bugger all , but I am learning . On the PL website they just say ale malt, so I'm guessing Maris Otter would be a decent choice ?

When learning, I also did the same as you. I brewed 3 SMaSH beers so i could learn flavours of the malt and also of the hops.
For my Mosaic SMaSH recipe I used Golden Promise.

IMO Maris Otter gives a more biscuit flavour to the beer where Golden Promise is slightly cleaner and isn't overpowering.
Both are suited for this SMaSH beer. While learning about hops, also use this time to experiement with malt and see what flavours you get from each of the different variabtions.

As a bonus, here is my Mosaic recipe. Feel free to use and edit as you see fit.

Details
Batch Volume: 25L
Efficiency: 75%
Mash Time: 90mins
Boil Time: 90mins
O.G: 1.061
F.G: 1.015
ABV: 6.0%
IBU: 65
Mash Temp: 68c
Ferment temp: 20c

Grain