After Taste

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mclovin

Reaction score
G day, I have just one simple question. Is it possible to make a kit brew that has a creamy beer taste? or am I doing somthing wrong? I Just cant seem to get a kit that has a nice beer taste. Most of the kits i have done including "premium" kits from well known brewing shops with hops, malt and kilo of crap included all come out tasting more like wine than beer.

Maybe its time to explore the AG brewing world!

G day, I have just one simple question. Is it possible to make a kit brew that has a creamy beer taste? or am I doing somthing wrong? I Just cant seem to get a kit that has a nice beer taste. Most of the kits i have done including "premium" kits from well known brewing shops with hops, malt and kilo of crap included all come out tasting more like wine than beer.

Maybe its time to explore the AG brewing world!
I'd say you probably have some kind of problem with your process or sanitation or something... Even the crappest kit if brewed properly won't taste anything like wine!!

Keep your ferment temp @ 18-20deg for ales and 8-14 deg for lagers. that will kill any 'wine/cider' characteristics you speak of. as for creaminess, i think you may mean full bodied maltiness. I'd suggest subbing dextrose for Dry malt extract (DME) as Dex only offers increase in alcohol but does not add any body.

The only wine taste I had was when I didn't know what I was doing, used the kit with more than necessary table sugaz (purely to increase alc) and then no temp control. Rapid production of pure crap - but we drank it and got drunk fairly quickly. Wouldn't do it again. Don't pay attention to the temp range on the kits as that's a good source of the wine taste.

Using sugar in your beer can often give it a cidery/wine-like character. It also has a habit of making the body of your beer thinner.
There's 3 things I can suggest to give you a 'creamier', by which I'm guessing you mean 'full bodied', beer.
1. Brew it all malt. Don't bother with that dextrose/maltidextrin/sugar powder rubbish. Replace them with either dry light malt or light malt extract. You're guarenteed a full bodied beer that way.
2. Yeast selection. Probably not a huge thing as far as body goes, but a better quality yeast fermented within a good lowish temperature band, will give you a cleaner flavoured beer. Plus different yeast strains often give you a more creamy sort of carbonation, like Belgian and Hefeweizen strains.
3. Try adding some steeped specialty malts. Adding even just 100g or so of something like Crystal malt will not only add an extra hit of flavour and colour to your beer, but add some residual sweetness and body.

Hope that helps. Though AG is really the way to go! ;)

Maybe try steeping a good amount of dextrin malt (carapils/carafoam).

I suggest getting a basic handle of fermentation before you go AG. You can make killer beer and learn about yeast, hops and spec grain properties before you open yourself to all the extra variables of all grain. Then add a kilo or so of base malt and you start sliding down the big ol' slope.

As the others have said. But to repeat in a nutshell, your problems likely are;
too hot/uncontrolled ferment temps
too much simple adjunct
not enough fresh ingredient (hops/steeped grains)
sanitation
and it sounds like an oxidation issue as well(if getting wine like flavours).

Most of this comes down to process control; use kits/extracts to learn to control your cold-side process (ie sanitation/fermentation), which is the foundation of brewing. If you can't get that sorted, then your hotside process (ie mashing, if you move to grain) will fall into a puddle of the proverbial as a result.

Back