After Bottling Lagers...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peas_and_corn

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I cannot mash that
Reaction score
OK, after bottling a lager, what temperature should it be at for it to naturally carbonate- around 20C, or at the lagering temperature (which for my lagers is about 3C)?

Is it the same temperature for kegs and bottles?

Cheers,

Dave

Or at the lager yeast's primary fermenting temp? (10 - 12deg)
Gonna bottle my 1st lager in the next week or so, would like to know this too.

cheers,
Simo

I too have my first lager nearly finished. Anyway im pretty certain you would be leaving your bottles at ferment temp not 20 deg until secondary is finished then lagering. The yeast is gonna be pretty well inactive at 3deg.

Feel free to correct me if im wrong.

Cheers
:beer:

Richard

ps assuming of course you fermented with a lager yeast

peas_and_korn said:
OK, after bottling a lager, what temperature should it be at for it to naturally carbonate- around 20C, or at the lagering temperature (which for my lagers is about 3C)?

Cheers,

Dave
[post="103151"][/post]​

P&K,
Welcome back to our fine shores! :beer:

M

If your in a rush to drink em, the warmer the better, as it does not matter.
I have been bottling for years now and find that for a lighter beer 170g-180g of dex. for 23 litres is good if I want to drink em within 3 months, much after that they still may keep fermenting some sugars. But for my Bocks & bigger beers 140g - 160g dex for 23 litres is better and for stouts down to as low as 100g dex for 23 litres. But u must keep in mind that the bigger darker beers have a lot more sugars that take a long time for the yeast to eat up, so the Stouts and Bocks will still be improving and carbonating up to 3 months in the bottle. Now this is more important if you do Allgrain type of brewing.
But back to your question, I leave all lagers above 20 degC for 2-3 weeks prior to bottle largering or cool storage.

STEPHEN

mandrakar said:
peas_and_korn said:

Cheers,

Dave
[post="103151"][/post]​

P&K,
Welcome back to our fine shores! :beer:

M
[post="103162"][/post]​

Nope! still in Israel until the 20th feb!

It was just a burning question that I wanted answered

Okay, heres another one:

I'm going overseas in 4 weeks, for 4 weeks.
The brew (Marzen) has lagered 3 weeks @ 2deg already.
If I leave the brew lagering and bottle when I get back, in 8 weeks, will there still be enough yeast in suspension, after almost 3 months, to ferment the prime? Or will I have to pitch a small amount when I bulk prime?
I don't care if it takes 2, 4 or 10 weeks for the prime to ferment, just as long as it does.

Or am I better off bottling in 3 weeks time and letting the prime ferment while I'm away?

Cheers
Simo

Simon W said:
Okay, heres another one:

I'm going overseas in 4 weeks, for 4 weeks.
The brew (Marzen) has lagered 3 weeks @ 2deg already.
If I leave the brew lagering and bottle when I get back, in 8 weeks, will there still be enough yeast in suspension, after almost 3 months, to ferment the prime? Or will I have to pitch a small amount when I bulk prime?
I don't care if it takes 2, 4 or 10 weeks for the prime to ferment, just as long as it does.

Or am I better off bottling in 3 weeks time and letting the prime ferment while I'm away?

Cheers
Simo
[post="103926"][/post]​

i'd personally be bottling it, so it's ready for drinking on your return - however, if you wish to leave it, they'll still be yeast there...

cheers Ross

Thanks Ross, I'm thinking I'll bottle it when I get back, coz I'll have no control over the temp of the bottles while I'm gone.

Simo

Simon, I would bottle it now. It will be ready when you get back as Ross says. You will get oxidation of the beer over the time you are away (especially if it is at room temp).

cheers
Darren

Darren, it's still lagering at approx 1 or 2C and will do while I'm away.
If I bottle now they'll be at room temp while I'm gone, and I'm sure there will be a few 40C+ days here in Feb/March!
I've got other brews here to keep me going when I get back.

Well I was thinking that, but they won't ferment the prime at 1-2C will they?

Simon,

I've lagered for over 3 months while traveling - at that temp they'll be fine & will only result in a better beer.... :)

cheers Ross

Simon W said:
Well I was thinking that, but they won't ferment the prime at 1-2C will they?
[post="104043"][/post]​

Simon, put them at ferment temp in the bottles whilst you are away in the fridge. Sitting on the primary yeast is not a good idea.
I would say you have to bottle it sometime (or get some kegs). Might as well do it now.

Ready when you get back as opposed to ready to bottle.

cheers

Darren

Cheers Ross, thats what I was thinking, I used some homemade Vienna malt in this one so the extra time might be worth it.

Darren, unfortunatelly the fridge isn't a dedicated brewfridge, has food-stuffs in it too, so I can't adjust the temp higher. The advantage of being single, I can put whatever I damn-well please in my fridge! ;)
It's not sitting on the primary yeast cake, was racked from primary to secondary, then from secondary to lagering. There's only a thin dusting of yeast on the bottom of the lagering vessel.

I think I'm just gonna leave it, I'll nurse the bottles at 12C when I get back.

Thanks guys for the help, atleast I now know there will still be enough yeast floating around when I get back for bottle conditioning.

Back