Aeration

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiley

Reaction score
What would be a good way to aerate a boiled/chilled wort prior to pitching the yeast?

If I was to open the tap on my boiler and let the wort run into the fermenter, about 60 cm below, causing a lot of splashing and bubbles, will this be OK?

I have thought about using a sanitized beer hose hooked up to a compressor. Just not sure about the quality of the air.

Then there's the air from a hepa filtered vacuum cleaner.

A handful of granulated charcoal?

I believe it is necessary to aerate the wort as the boiling process depletes it of oxygen.

No wonder my one and only attempt at BIAB tasted only soso.

Thanks for any advice, comments or otherwise in advance.

w

Mate i cant answer your question, however i would not use the compressor as mine has a slight oil smell and lets face it- its far from clean air.

You can stir like mad, drop the wort from a height into the fermenter or buy a air pump and stone to help the O2 disolve into your wort. A filter helps keep the bugs out

wow thats interesting, sadly i cant shake mine (fixed in a fridge and 110Lt) but i wonder how wort spraying out of a hose into the fermenter stands up

thanks mate, looks like the hose/splash and 5 min on the stone should be fine...... if only i could have a O2 supply (on the cheap)

You & me both Gout.
I do the splash thing into fermenter then use the airstone until the fementer is full of foam. Just don't forget to add the yeast to the bottom of the empty fermenter before draining from kettle.

TP

Wiley, I rack mine into the fermenter from my no chill cube after 12 hours of cooling overnight and then pour my water in to make up the volume from a 5 litre jug while standing above the fermenter which is on the floor. This gives me heaps of foam and have found my lag is usually only 8 hours before krausen forms. Keeps it simple, no extra gear required. Aeration is the key to giving the yeast a good chance.

BTW, I know I could probably pour the cooled wort from the cube but I guess its my irrational fear of splashing at any stage that stops me from doing this. Yes, I know unfermented wort should'nt suffer from oxidation but anything I can do for consistency keeps me happy.

Wiley, I rack mine into the fermenter from my no chill cube after 12 hours of cooling overnight and then pour my water in to make up the volume from a 5 litre jug while standing above the fermenter which is on the floor. This gives me heaps of foam and have found my lag is usually only 8 hours before krausen forms. Keeps it simple, no extra gear required. Aeration is the key to giving the yeast a good chance.

BTW, I know I could probably pour the cooled wort from the cube but I guess its my irrational fear of splashing at any stage that stops me from doing this. Yes, I know unfermented wort should'nt suffer from oxidation but anything I can do for consistency keeps me happy.

You're adding oxygen to the wort by pouring in water and creating splashing, BUT you're afraid of splashing and oxygenating you're wort by pouring your cube?? :huh:

Back