Aerated Wort For Starter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowie in space

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just boiled a 5L wort to be used as a starter, but had a brain snap and transfered hot wort into 5L demijohn through a funnel aerating it quite a bit. It's cooling now but still has a thick layer of foam at the top from the vigorous transfer.

Should i just keep it, or is it better to just boil another one, let it cool in the pot and then transfer it when it's time to pitch?

I've got a wyeast pack smacked and swelling.

Cheers,
Bowie

If you want to use it as a full volume starter... ie adding the entire 5L of active fermenting yeast, then you may be adding oxidised (starter)beer to you batch.

I typically let my 'starters' ferment out, chill and decant the yeast only to the main wort. Not strictly a starter, just propagation to ensure i have the correct amount of healthy yeast cells.

so if you feel you've oxidised it...keep it away from your wort. Up to you really. Me... i would grow yeast to appropriate size, decant and pitch slurry only.

Hi all,

I just boiled a 5L wort to be used as a starter, but had a brain snap and transfered hot wort into 5L demijohn through a funnel aerating it quite a bit. It's cooling now but still has a thick layer of foam at the top from the vigorous transfer.

Should i just keep it, or is it better to just boil another one, let it cool in the pot and then transfer it when it's time to pitch?

I've got a wyeast pack smacked and swelling.

Cheers,
Bowie

I may be wrong but isn't aerating what you are after in a yeast starter????

Your supposed to get as much oxygen into your wort when you pitch the yeast so I assume its the same for the starter... plus everyone says to shake the starter often so I gather the oxygen is good for it.

I think the OP is talking about "Hot Side Aeration" - it's not good to aerate *hot* wort, only once it has cooled ready for pitching is it good to introduce Oxygen.
HSA can give cardboard flavours/create wormholes in the fabric of space time etc.
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=hot+side...:en-GB:eek:fficial

Palmer speaks on HSA
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-9-3.html

Aeration of hot wort will cause the oxygen to chemically bind to various wort compounds. Over time, these compounds will break down, freeing atomic oxygen back into the beer where it can oxidize the alcohols and hop compounds producing off-flavors and aromas like wet cardboard or sherry-like flavors. The generally accepted temperature cutoff for preventing hot wort oxidation is 80F.

Is it 5L into a 20L batch? If so, probably worth starting again for the sake of a little DME?

I wouldn't be concerned about it.
Even if you do have 'hot side aeration', the effects of it only show up in the longer term.
You are trying to grow yeast, surely a short term exercise only. Go ahead and do it. Once you've done that, discard the starter beer, and pitch only the slurry.
Hot side aeration won't have any affect, in my view, on this exercise.

Cheers guys,

Yes hot side aeration is the phrase I'm looking for. Thank you.

It is a 5L starter for a 22L batch. I usually pitch the whole starter, but I will be decanting this time around and just pitch the slurry. I don't use a stir plate either so hopefully it'll settle out after a couple of days.

Just waiting for it to cool down now, then add the wyeast from the packet, then I'll shake the shit out of it. I'm trying out a FWK and don't usually boil a 5L starter. I usually make a little extra wort for my starters. Just noticed when I was putting it through the funnel..."shit this is the wrong time to be aerating it". Probably isn't as bad as I'm making out but still enough to raise concern.

It is a 5L starter for a 22L batch. I usually pitch the whole starter, but I will be decanting this time around and just pitch the slurry. I don't use a stir plate either so hopefully it'll settle out after a couple of days.

Just waiting for it to cool down now, then add the wyeast from the packet, then I'll shake the shit out of it. I'm trying out a FWK and don't usually boil a 5L starter. I usually make a little extra wort for my starters. Just noticed when I was putting it through the funnel..."shit this is the wrong time to be aerating it". Probably isn't as bad as I'm making out but still enough to raise concern.
If its a starter and you are not going to pitch the entire volume, (just the yeast), then there is no 'wrong' time to aerate it, shake it and aerate it as much as possible for the next few days. :)

Latest posts

Back