Advise for what malts ect

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eats shop

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm new to the brewing game.
I've recently purchased a few kegs and all the bits and pieces.
I've don't two brews so far from kits and have a 3rd on atm.

Currently running 1 60lt fermenter and 1 30lt
I've been doing some Cooper's draught with some added hope ect. Has come out okay and I'm doing a wheat beer and a darker ale.

I'm wanting to expand my knowledge and start trying to make some beers from scratch :)

I like German wheat beers and a fan of cascade lager and draught. I like moo brew too and a few pale ales.

I want to buy grains in bulk 25kg preferably and wanted to ask what grains would be needed ect. Also maybe a good starting brew with my first time brewing from scratch.
I'm Tassie based so also the best spot to purchase bulk grains.
Thanks guys!

Good choice of beers. You would probably be best running the same base malts as me; I always have 1x 25kg sack each of ale malt, pilsner malt and wheat malt. I keep these in some food-grade containers from Bunnings <link here>. Don't be too alarmed with the amount - I brew a moderate amount - probably about 240L/year and never have issues with the grain getting old.

The only thing you will need other than those base malts might be carapils or caramalt if you need additional foam stability or caramel flavour. I usually have oats in the cupboard for breakfast which you can add in for body at a pinch.

I have a grain beetle infestation which I can't get rid of and these containers have kept the little f***ers out for the last 12 months.

What styles are you brewing? If, like many, you plan to brew mostly ales that tend variously toward US and UK styles, Golden Promise is a versatile bet as a base malt. I'm not a fan of American two-row (or Gladfield's American Ale Malt). Neither were all the US professional craft brewers I was acquainted with in the States.

Thankyou for the feedback.
Yeah I believe I'll be sticking mainly to ales for now.
I'll be sure to grab some golden promise when I do my first BIAB.
Yet I'm still awhile away yet just trying to gather as much information :)

Latest posts

Back