Advice Wanted Re Brewing Career

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bljpoad

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have been tossing up for maybe the last 6 months about whether or not to do something like the certified brewmaster course at the VLB in Berlin. At the moment I am finishing up my PhD in chemistry (eta Oct/Nov this year), and I am pretty certain that research chemistry is not the direction I want to take things. I currently brew roughly once a week, and I could really see myself doing it as a career (not necessarily by starting up my own brewery but in working in the production process for someone else). I was just wondering what people's thoughts on this were. If I was to do the VLB course it is a hell of a lot of cash to come up with, are there comparable courses elsewhere that are just as good?

If this sounds all over the place it is because there are about 100 things going through my mind right now (besides warming up the laser for an experiment day today and trying to finish a chapter of my thesis!).

Any input would be greatly appreciated! :beer:
- Bez

check-out Whistlingjack, speak with him about his experiences at VLB.

Ballarat run a good course.

Siebel Institute

I think UC Davis have a brewing course as well

Heriot-Watt - this would be my choice.

I would try and get a few weeks work in a commercial brewery and go from there. Matilda bay were looking 'brewery mechanics' a few weeks back. Working for a corporate may help you afford one of these courses a little better.

Give Ben Kraus a call and see if you can help-out at Bridge Road Brewery or one of the local breweries in Melbourne.

What sort of chemistry did you do?
Could you do some biochem courses and get in the lab bit of brewing?

It doesn't really matter what your educational background; years & years of school with no work experience is difficult for future employers to overlook. It boils down to "this person is a good fit, but we can't pay them what they'd expect" or "why didn't they work for a while between the PhD and the brewing course", etc etc etc. I have a PhD too. Sometimes I think it was the worst mistake I've ever made.

Work in the industry first. The combination of homebrewer + chemistry smarts honestly make you attractive to a large brewery. If not, start off washing kegs and sweeping floors. Work your way up. See if you like it, save up some $, and most importantly gain practical real world experience. After 2 or 3 years, if you really want to further your education in brewing, you'll be in a much better position to do so. Better yet, your employer may either pay your way outright or partially subsidize your studies. Why not let someone else pay your way through school?

Thanks for your input :) What I have been doing this morning is sending off a couple of emails to some breweries to see if there are any that would take me on as an extra pair of hands on brew days. I am perfectly happy to do it for nothing just to gain the experience.

My PhD is in Laser Spectroscopy, so nothing too directly applicable to brewing but reasonably technical. I spent a bit of time in a lab in Switzerland and came to the realization that although I find it interesting it drives me up the wall. I don't think starting the PhD was the worst thing I could have done, it has given me skills and time to think about what I really want to do career wise. What did you do yours in newguy?
- Bez

Thanks for your input :) What I have been doing this morning is sending off a couple of emails to some breweries to see if there are any that would take me on as an extra pair of hands on brew days. I am perfectly happy to do it for nothing just to gain the experience.

My PhD is in Laser Spectroscopy, so nothing too directly applicable to brewing but reasonably technical. I spent a bit of time in a lab in Switzerland and came to the realization that although I find it interesting it drives me up the wall. I don't think starting the PhD was the worst thing I could have done, it has given me skills and time to think about what I really want to do career wise. What did you do yours in newguy?
- Bez

I would definately go for a call instead of email. Believe me it makes a lot of difference. Perhaps pick out a few breweries you would really like to get experience at and give them a call. In the wine world you get a lot of punters wanting experience and simply sending an email is a pretty soft effort. Do yourself a massive favour and pick up the phone, you will be amazed at the response. Too many people just send emails and making a call does set you apart. If you get someone that doesn't want to take your call, then you have to ask what sort of experience will you get with them. People are often busy and will either call you back or ask you to ring back.

I take it you did undergrad science, there is by default a lot of useful stuff in that and applying to brewing is a matter of time and effort.

Good luck.

I got my first degree in electrical engineering. That year (92) was a really poor one (recession), and out of the 39 of us who graduated, only 13 had jobs 6 months later. I got a scholarship and was planning to do an MSc anyway, so I just stayed in school. I did my MSc in microwave engineering (high frequency circuits & communications), and finished in late 94. I worked in the industry for 2 years. The 70 hour work weeks and usually 8 weeks without a day off persuaded me to quit & do the PhD. By the way, that's also the time I started brewing.

I did the PhD in semiconductor physics (digital radiography) - I characterized the charge transport properties of various materials before, during and after being exposed to x-rays. Mind numbing but challenging. I finished that in 2000. I taught undergrad classes while I was doing my studies and I continued to teach for 5 years after that. I was actually named one of my universities' most popular profs by a national weekly newsmagazine here in Canada.

I quit teaching 3 years ago and started my own business. It's challenging, but it's preferable to teaching. I couldn't stand repeating myself over & over any longer. The last year I taught I had a class of stoners. Trying to teach the disinterested is difficult; trying to teach the disinterested and stoned is impossible.

Hey, i live in adelaide, South Australia.. got to Flinders University. Found a flyer up yesterday advertising a new beer brewing course, sounded pretty serious, as if like get a career out of it, not just for your dodgy can brewers like myself.

I would definately go for a call instead of email.

Ah crap, that seriously didn't cross my mind! I obviously spend too much time in front of a computer. Ah well, I have only emailed 2 breweries, next one I will call. Cheers :)
- Bez

Call the first two anyway. It demonstrates that you're really interested. Also be sure to do your homework. Have a taste of every beer in a brewery's lineup if you do get invited over for an interview. Bone up on their history too.

Drinking beer. Nice homework for an interview, eh? ;)

My PhD is in Laser Spectroscopy, so nothing too directly applicable to brewing but reasonably technical.

With Evan Bieske??

Well you must know a lot about plumbing / swagelock at any rate! :)

Hey, i live in adelaide, South Australia.. got to Flinders University. Found a flyer up yesterday advertising a new beer brewing course, sounded pretty serious, as if like get a career out of it, not just for your dodgy can brewers like myself.

Hey Gregg,

Jump into it. Could put you on the path to a rewarding career.

cheers

Darren

Oh I've met Evan a couple of times.
HWMBO is Greg Metha

Well, isn't this a small world! LOL! So you know just how badly my PhD will apply to commercial brewing! I had a chat to someone behind the bar in a brew pub last night, and am going back during the week when the brewer is around. Not much, but I guess it is a start.

Latest posts

Back