Advice On Porter Partial Mash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim - Perth

Reaction score
I have come by a Cascade chocolate mahogany porter kit that I need to use up. My research on this kit seems to indicate that the name bears no resemblance to the taste of the finished product & that the best thing about it may be the decorative label on the can.

With above in mind I intend to try to do the best with it & my plan is to add it to the following partial mash:
1) 1.5kg traditional ale malt;
2) 250g rolled oats;
3) 50g chocolate grain;
3) 50g roasted barley.
4) 20g fuggles (10g 30min. before flame-out & 10g 5min. before F.O.).

I'll make it up to around 22 - 23L & will ferment it with Wyeast 1084.

If anyone has any ideas on how this could be modified so as to improve it I would be very pleased to hear.

Jim

Jim - Perth said:
I have come by a Cascade chocolate mahogany porter kit that I need to use up. My research on this kit seems to indicate that the name bears no resemblance to the taste of the finished product & that the best thing about it may be the decorative label on the can.

With above in mind I intend to try to do the best with it & my plan is to add it to the following partial mash:
1) 1.5kg traditional ale malt;
2) 250g rolled oats;
3) 50g chocolate grain;
3) 50g roasted barley.
4) 20g fuggles (10g 30min. before flame-out & 10g 5min. before F.O.).

I'll make it up to around 22 - 23L & will ferment it with Wyeast 1084.

If anyone has any ideas on how this could be modified so as to improve it I would be very pleased to hear.

Jim
[post="117983"][/post]​

Hi Jim,
The Roast barley and the rolled oats will make it more of an oatmeal stout than a porter. If this is what you want then it sounds ok.
I dont do kits any more but I have a mate that has done a choc m porter and on its own it is very very ordinary.
His second tin we modified with DME and some Cararoma and it came out OK.
If I was to do a partial I would up the ale malt to 2kg for that volume and add 200gr of Cararoma and a possibly a tad more chocolate say 50 to 100 gramms.You could use some wheat malt or torrified wheat (200 gr) for extra body if you want as well
Hops should be fine
IMO any addition to this kit would have to be an improvement.
Let us know how it goes.
Cheers

G'day...
Not being a partial masher (yet!), I added 1.3kg dark DME, 0.5kg LME, a cup of dried wheat malt, 30g Goldings and used a Whitelabs Irish Ale yeast. It came out beautiful (after a couple of months in the bottle). By itself it ain't so hot...

Jim.

If you can get your hands on Brown and Amber malt they're a lot more traditional and really taste the goods. :beerbang:

If you can modify it try this;

1.5kg trad ale malt
100g Brown Malt
100g Amber Malt
100g Dark Xtal
200g Chocolate

Good luck with it. :)

Warren -

Yes, thanks for the response.
I use the r/oats because I like the resulting creamy smooth finish but I think I make stick with the Porter theme & cut back on the oats & roasted barley.
I'll also ramp up the traditional ale malt & may even seek out some amber malt.
J

Latest posts

Back